Dynamic Race Events
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 58m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45, had some breakfast. Drove to race site, got transition set up.
Event warmup:

Plan was to get in the water for about 10 minutes warm up. Putting on wetsuit in transition, and I tear a 4 inch hole in the left shoulder seam of my suit. It is as old as my tri career (5 years-ish), so I knew a new one was on the horizon. Was hoping to get this season (or at least this race!) out of it. I was pulling it up over my shoulder from the inside of the suit and my hand just went right through... A friend of a friend ran to get some duct tape and we did what we could. The hole was up in my armpit a bit, so difficult to tape and still have range of motion, but it was what it was. I fretted for awhile, but when the men went off I told myself that there was nothing that I could do about it at this point so just let it go and focus.
Swim
  • 40m 48s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got kicked or punched in the first 100 m, goggles knocked off and filled with water. Stopped to fix that. Washing machine until first buoy (~300m) so just tried to keep moving. Took me until the second buoy to get into a rhythm, as per usual. It was windy and there was a fair bit of chop--a bit of help on the second leg, but on the last leg, it caused problems, pushing us away from the buoy line. Second loop the chop was a little higher. I wasn't feeling like I was having a great swim, despite focusing on my pull, which was my goal. Final leg of the swim, I had my goggles knocked again, filled with water, took a couple lungfuls of water due to chop. The good news was that the chop now was pushing us right towards the swim out :) Ended up just a couple minutes over my goal time, so considering all that, I was happy.
Transition 1
  • 05m 2s
Comments:

500 meters from swim out to T1. They shoulda taken it off the run course! Other than that, all went smoothly. Oh, except kicking a water bottle out of a cage while getting on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 51s
  • 91 kms
  • 30.19 km/hr
Comments:

My biggest goal for this race was to be comfortably uncomfortable on the bike. I wanted a 3 hour split (based on 90km). I have always felt like I hold back too much on the bike, so I wanted to push and see what I could do both here, and on the run after.

The first top loop was good. Along the highway, road is fairly smooth. There was some wind, but able to keep a decent speed. Worked on getting my heart rate down from the rafters by controlling my breathing, and get some nutrition on right away. I changed my nutrition this year a bit to mostly liquid, which seemed to work well.

The end of the top loop, which is also the end of each full loop, is a fast, slight downhill, so used that to my advantage. Passed transition, and out on the bottom loop. There is one descent climb; I hit it a bit harder than I should have first loop, so made a mental note to do it differently on loop two. The backside of this loop is through the wine country, so pretty country. Some rolling hills and a couple of good downhills. Some good crosswinds that required some caution in places. Turn towards to and onto the highway--and a stiff headwind. Tackled it by keeping my cadence around 90 as best I could. It was about 8km before we turned off the highway--still windy, but a bit more protected. Rough sections of roads here, including a short gravel section, to finish the first loop and onto the second, right on pace for a 3:00 split.

Second loop much like the first. Used the slight fast downhill to gain some time, spun up the climb rather than hammering. The headwind on the highway seemed a bit stronger this loop, but that may have been the fatigue talking. Kept on with my plan of 90 cadence, made sure to get my nutrition in, and hit my goal (course was a bit long at 91km, so even a bit better).
What would you do differently?:

All went according to plan. Now just had to see what I had left for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Run
  • 2h 10m 34s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 11s  min/km
Comments:

First 3-4 km felt not too bad. Walked aid stations, got ice into my arm sleeves because it was starting to heat up and I knew if I got too hot, I was not going to deal. Promised myself I could walk the turnaround. Took a gel around km 6 which helped a bit. I had a lot of conversations with myself on this run. "How bad do you want to sub-6?" "You can do it; your km splits have not slowed, it just feels like shit" "I have to walk. Okay, walk to the next cone" "Get your ass in gear, or you won't make it".
Got to the turn around and that is always a boost; saw that I had about 1:10 left for 10km and though I could make it happen. At 13km, I told myself "only 8 more km to go. you can do it". But I wasn't sure. Lots more of the same self talk, some crazy thoughts: "I can just sit in that chair and give up" I think I thought about jumping into the rushing water on the far side of the flood gates on the river. Figured at that point it was time to take another gel, but could not get all of it down. At some point I considered crying, but figured that wasn't going to help!
Kept counting down the kilometers; pace had slowed by about one min/km, but I was still mostly running. I promised myself if I sub-6'd I would never have to 'race' again--I could just enjoy the day. More conversations: "I can't do it" "Yes you can". "I have to walk at that cone". "No, you want to walk. If you HAD to, you would already be walking, not waiting til you got to the cone".
Got to 3km left and looked at my watch--I had 20 minutes left. If I could keep it under 7min/km I could get there. "Okay, Ox. Make an excuse, or make it happen. Which is it going to be?" Last km was a minute faster than the previous 3.
Post race
Warm down:

My friend with whom I was staying was at the finish line to cheer me on which was lovely. I was leaning over in the finish chute for a few minutes, then wandered a bit until she caught me and gave me a hug. Then she was worried cause I was "clammy" :). She got me a space blanket and some recovery drinks and sat with me for a bit. I did feel like shit, but not any worse than previous races! She stayed with me for about 10 minutes but then had to head out--but sent the paramedics over to check on me LOL. All vitals within normal limits, so all good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I gave this all I had on this day. Wetsuit tear and wind/chop--super close to my goal. The wind on the bike was really tough and still met my goal. Run was pretty much a miserable mental and physical slog but I won out.

Event comments:

Course is fantastic. Would love to do it with no wind (the sprint and Oly on Saturday had much better conditions, although it was hotter for them). BBQ and beer post race.

Last updated: 2017-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:48 | 2000 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Torn!
Course: 2 loops, triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:51 | 91 kms | 30.19 km/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Top loop, bottom loop, top loop, bottom loop, top loop done.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:10:34 | 21.1 kms | 06m 11s  min/km
Course: Two loops, past the lake, down the hill to the river, along one side, cross the bridge, same direction along the other side to the turnaround. Back along far side of the river to the red bridge, cross, along near side of river, back up the hill to the finish/turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-06-06 12:35 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Oliver Half Iron Triathlon

2017-06-06 8:18 AM
in reply to: #5221825

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Oliver Half Iron Triathlon

What a fantastic job you did talking yourself through that run. Congratulations!

2017-06-06 9:23 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
AWESOME race! So glad you had a great experience!
2017-06-06 10:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Under 6 hours: check.   Bike under 3 hours over 90 km: check.   Winning the mental battles (oh, they sound so familiar!): check!   Excellent job keeping focus after the wetsuit mishap and definitely during the run.  Great job, and congrats on a very solid AG placement!  

2017-06-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Woo hoo, sub 6, congrats!!  That swim sounds like it was filled with mean women  good job rolling with the punches! Racing is so much a mental battle, way to win it!

2017-06-06 2:12 PM

User image

Great race, congrats!

2017-06-15 10:37 PM

User image

Awesome race! So happy for you on your sub-6!!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who talks to myself/mental battles on the run! Just don't start talking to your bike. Not that I do that...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oliver Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best in the West Triathlon Festival Half Iron

Started by willyt
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2016-09-13 1:29 PM willyt

Route 66 Half Iron Triathlon

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 1981 Posts: 2

2016-08-01 3:58 PM jmhpsu93