General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forward position to aero bars - how much is necessary? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-06 3:34 PM

Subject: Forward position to aero bars - how much is necessary?
I have been searching and can't really find a solid answer, at least in one spot, so here goes.

I have a road bike and ride it as a road bike, but have done several sprints and want to go longer and the more I read that adding aero bars does get a little more speed, but longer comfort is a great benefit as well. My biggest question is, can I convert to a "semi forward" position with the bars and moving the seat all the way forward without a forward seat post?

I would like to maintain the road bike functionality due to riding in congested areas that require quick brakes and not really long stretches of consistent speed.

My thinking is that if I move the seat all the way forward I can get closer to 74-75 degree to the cranks rather than the 72-73. Also would this be even better if adding a tri seat such as the ISM style saddles?

LBS have limited to no tri related stock or knowledge, but more than willing to help fit whatever I decide. I know fitting is #1 priority and I really don't want to sacrifice 90% of my riding for 4-5 tris a year, but if I can get more comfortable on longer rides, then it would be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the great forum

2017-06-06 5:43 PM
in reply to: Sleepyluke

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Forward position to aero bars - how much is necessary?
If you're comfortable with your road position, get a set of shorty aerobars, adjust them (not your position) until you can ride comfortably on the bars in addition to the hoods and drops.

Shane
2017-06-06 7:59 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Master
Northern IL

With the road bike, best feeling was from the shorty bars in the road position, as was suggested. I fit them to about where I'd be riding in the drops so the only thing that changes is arm position. So natural and great control. 

2017-06-07 8:22 AM

Well I would not think it was that easy, and exactly why I asked here where people actually participate in tris.

Do you angle the seat down at all, or is a different seat even necessary? It just seems that the horn of the saddle would get even more uncomfortable being down more than in the drops.

Thanks for the advice!!
2017-06-07 9:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

Well, things in tri can be as simple or as complex as you want to make them.

I don't know what's going on with your drop position, but my torso is in pretty much the same position both there and on the aero bars. So there wasn't any movement in the saddle or of the saddle. It wasn't necessary.

When going the shorty bar route, it generally should be just giving another spot for hands/arms in an existing position. Doing more than that sounds like trying to work a tri fit onto a road bike. It is possible that the road positions could use some work too.

2017-06-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Well having never ridden on bars I assumed that you end up a little lower and hips rolled forward more than while in the drops, BUT after playing around a little last night on the bike there is really not a ton of difference in the positioning of your body, only how it is supported, or so it seems.

You guys have answered more in 5 replys than I have learned in 3 bike shops and 3 plus hours of people guessing how to set it all up.

Thanks for all your advice

2017-06-08 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
if your road bike fit was good, you want to keep the same angle of your hips/shoulders and body and be more forward/horizontal....usually accomplished by being higher on the saddle and more forward on the front-and into your new clip on aerobars
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Forward position to aero bars - how much is necessary? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero position hurts my shoulders

Started by gary p
Views: 2691 Posts: 8

2017-04-02 2:01 PM rugerviking

Aero Bar Reach Question

Started by dnewman84
Views: 1461 Posts: 3

2016-11-16 6:57 AM Leegoocrap

Aero bar Bike hydration systems??

Started by Ericallenboyd
Views: 404 Posts: 1

2016-08-01 5:34 PM Ericallenboyd

Height, flexibility and need for aero bars

Started by Caroleena
Views: 3665 Posts: 23

2016-07-21 9:24 PM Caroleena

Aero Bars on Flat road bike

Started by mccjer25
Views: 3502 Posts: 3

2016-06-16 1:18 PM gary p
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 3
If anyone can see the front of your shorts, you're doing it wrong.