Rev3
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = 175/632
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 21/87
Pre-race routine:

This was my second 70.3, my first being the pancake flat Patriot Half in East Freetown, MA in 2016, which I did in 5:17. I've been training hard and felt stronger in all three disciplines. I had a goal of 5:30 in mind but really just wanted to race my best. I'm not great on hills and this race is ALL hills. This is a big race for my tri club. Lots of teammates there racing and cheering. A very fun day.
Event warmup:

I slept like hell the night before the race even though I was in my own bed. Whatever...let's race.
I got out of bed at 4:00 for my pb&j sandwich and a cup of of coffee. I arrived in plenty of time to get set up and talk to friends.

It's been a late start to summer, so the water has been cold. The official race temp of the water was 64 degrees, which was actually two degrees warmer than what I'd been swimming in. I got into the crowded warm up area of the lake just to get wet and get my goggles situated but didn't really get to warm up. I was all ready to go though.
Swim
  • 36m 14s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started near the middle of my wave, which is also where I finished. Swimming is my weakest discipline but I am making progress and have come a long way. I had a good swim. I sighted well, didn't worry about getting bumped, and most importantly my hands didn't cramp up like they have been in these cold swims. My first HIM swim was 45 minutes. I improved on that by 9 minutes in this race. I was thrilled with my swim. I must have looked at my watch three times as I was heading into T1, amazed at my time. My great-to-me swim set my good mood for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I nailed this.
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

T1 took a little while. It was 51 degrees and I was worried about being cold on the bike. I took the time to put on arm warmers, which wasn't easy with wet arms. I decided against gloves.

Don't wear arm warmers. Turns out I didn't need them.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not strong on hills so I really focused on not blowing up here. So many hills, and some of them seemed to go on forever. At one point you're pedaling uphill for the better part of 7 miles. I didn't hit the power numbers my coach gave me because it felt too hard and I wanted to get up the hills without wrecking my legs. I couldn't be aggressive on the downhills because there was a lot of bike traffic and I got blocked a lot. I coasted and rode my brakes a lot more than I wanted to. Still not a terrible ride, but I could have done better. Top third overall on the bike isn't bad for someone who stinks on hills. I got most of my race nutrition in during the bike and stayed right on top of that.

Pedal harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

A smooth T2. I stopped to empty my bladder outside of T2 and it looks like that got tacked onto my run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 47m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I always look forward to the run because this where I am at my best. I felt great coming out of T2, which made me think I didn't bike hard enough. I ran well but got rightfully tired given the hills and cumulative fatigue. I loved seeing my teammates cheering at various points on the race...it really helped keep me going. I didn't really feel like I was "suffering" until the last half mile. I passed a lot of people on the run, and the race results indicate I moved up 75 spots on the run. I ate four gels and drank a cup of water at every station. A 1:47 on this run course would be pretty good for a stand alone HM, so I was happy to run it during a 70.3.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I was exhausted when I crossed the finish line. I grabbed a wet towel and sat in chair for about 10 minutes, then made my way to the food tent and house a plate of chow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could biked a little harder, as I was too worried about killing my legs. This was my first tri of the year though, so it'd be tough to execute this race perfectly. Overall I thought I had a good race. On to Rev3 Williamsburg!

Event comments:

I loved this race. Everything about it was top notch. Well organized, lots of happy and helpful volunteers, check in was easy, the courses were very well marked, and the entire race just had a real good vibe to it.

Last updated: 2017-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:14 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/87
Overall: 345/632
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:14:59 | 56 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/87
Overall: 223/632
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly and difficult. Long climbs followed by short steep descents. It felt like 80% of this ride was climbing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:47:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/87
Overall: 95/632
Performance: Good
Course: Hillier than the bike course! No mercy here.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes