World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 24s
Overall Rank = 758/
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Stacey, Sue and I got up at 3:00. I only was able to eat about half of my oatmeal. I was exceedingly nervous and hadn't slept much.

We left the Fairfield Inn & Suites (Marriott) at 3:56 and arrived at 4:20 to park at Talbot and School. It was a good arrival time and the same time as last year. They did let the cars park on the field again this year but we were afraid that we wouldn't be able to get out easily. All of the literature still said that there would be no parking on the race site.

Two of the people next to me on my rack didn't show up to race. That left a big space next to my bike. I moved my sticker (and my bike) over and then the sticker wouldn't stick. I asked an official if it was okay if my sticker fell off and he said it was fine.

I can't forget to mention my awesome rack position. It was second from the end and right near the porta potties. We couldn't use those until the race was in progress, though.

I put sunscreen on my part in my hair this year. That helped!

Event warmup:

My wave went off at 6:52, right after the pro women.

I ate a half of a Power Bar before the start.

Swim
  • 36m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was backwards from what it's been the past couple of years. Something about a lunar moon and the current. It was supposed to make the swim easier but I felt a strong current.

Sue announced that she was going to draft off of me. She touched my toes a lot in the beginning but I eventually dropped her. Maybe it was because I was going crooked, who knows?

I had to sight almost every stroke because when I didn't, I went off course. I wasn't able to draft hardly at all. I was very happy for the swim to be over.

Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

It was a long run from the new swim exit. I didn't feel very peppy. I usually run faster out of the water. They had wetsuit strippers but I decided not to chance using them. My wetsuit came off easily at my spot so I made the right decision.

I did not wear socks. Good move!
Bike
  • 3h 07m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Sue passed me about mile 11. I was just beginning to think that she beat me out of the water because I expected her sooner. I was glad she didn't.

Stacey passed me about mile 25 and announced that she had passed Ed pretty far back. I never saw Christine O. pass me but she had to have.

Ed caught up about mile 35. He slowed and shared his pearls of wisdom. "Take it easy on the bike...conserve for the run; that's what I'm doing." And then he took off.

I think there was a head wind going out and then we had a tail wind for awhile. I am only guessing that by my pace. It seemed hot on the bike.

I had to pee from about mile 20 to the end of the bike ride. Ugh!

I saw a lot of men drafting. I saw the motorcycle a few times. It was a very quiet one. Actually, I never heard it coming.

I brought my own Gatorade (2 full strength bottles and one watered down smaller bottle) so I didn't have to drink the flavor that I can't stand on the course. I grabbed a bottle of water at 3 of the aid stations and drank about 3/4 of each. I dumped the rest of the water on my back. I didn't end up drinking almost a full bottle of Gatorade.

I ate one pack of Clif Bloks, a chocolate Power Bar, and one GU. I used BASE Salt every hour--3 licks in the beginning and then 2 every hour.

What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to bike faster. I was about 4 minutes slower this year than last.

Transition 2
  • 07m 4s
Comments:

I took my biking shoes off so I could run through transition. I changed sunglasses, gobbed lots of Vaseline my toes, put on a visor, socks, shoes, put two mustards and two GUs in my pockets, squirted sunscreen on my arms and then ran into the porta pottie that was really close.

I think this took me about 2 minutes longer than it should have but I think it's better to be comfortable for the run.

Go faster.

Run
  • 2h 18m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Another brutal EM run with the sun blazing and no clouds in sight. Frankly, I was amazed that I could "run" and I use that term loosely because it was more like a jog. At least I wasn't walking. The goal was to run the whole way except for the aid stations.

I was shocked to see Stacey soon after I passed the 3 mile mark. She was walking. I was sure that this was the year that she'd finally beat me.

And, even more shocking, I caught up to Ed about mile 5. He was walking and not in a good mood. He said he couldn't take the heat. Never in my wildest dreams would I expect to beat him in a race.

I never did catch Sue this year.

I dumped two cups of ice down my top at each aid station. That held me to the next one. I had ice water and yellow (awful) Gatorade at each aid station. I started eating the pretzels as soon as I realized that I was going to start cramping. I had to fend off a cramp in my left foot for the last 6 miles. I limped through one aid station and prayed that my foot would carry me to the finish. I skipped the last aid station.

I ate one GU. I tried a pack of mustard. They are really hard to open when you are tired. I thought I put the other packed in my pocket but couldn't find it. It turned up after the race when I stopped at the porta pottie. Turns out, it was in my pants.

This run was a real mind game. I was counting down the miles and trying to think pleasant thoughts. I knew I'd be so happy when I finished.

Bring more mustard.
Post race
Warm down:

No blisters! Yay!

I found Christine O. and Sue immediately after finishing. Christine's husband Tony looked up my finish placement on his phone. I was a little disappointed with second. I was hoping for first since I didn't see anyone in my age group the entire way. Turns out, that was because she was so much faster than me.

I went to transition as soon as it opened (1:30) and changed my clothes.

Stacey and I caught up to each other soon after that. We got some food (pizza for me) and did not make the mistake of sitting on the ground. It's always so hard to get up.

The awards were supposed to start at 4:00, along with the Chattanooga slot rolldown. They wouldn't give out any awards until 3:30 so I picked up my award then.

Added later: Almost forgot to mention the chafing under my sports bra line. I wore a sports bra that I've never worn in a race before. Note to self: wear the one I always wear! I still have the wound 9 days later. It's so sore!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't feel as fit this year as last year and my race results showed that. But maybe it's the new pacemaker. I AM thankful that I can still do this!!

Event comments:

Hot hot hot as usual at Eagleman but a good race otherwise.

Last updated: 2017-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Long-sleeved wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: