General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Ironman Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-13 9:02 PM

New user
The Woodlands, Texas
Subject: Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Ironman Plan
Has anyone had experience finishing an IM with Matt's Level 1 Ironman plan?

What caught my eye was that it peaks at slightly over 14 hours of training time. Not much by Ironman standards!

It would be my first Ironman. My goal would be to finish with a strong run with no walking

Link to plan

Edited by Dill-Ag13 2017-06-13 9:02 PM

2017-06-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: Dill-Ag13

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Ironman Plan
Originally posted by Dill-Ag13

Has anyone had experience finishing an IM with Matt's Level 1 Ironman plan?

What caught my eye was that it peaks at slightly over 14 hours of training time. Not much by Ironman standards!

It would be my first Ironman. My goal would be to finish with a strong run with no walking

Link to plan

I've seen plans with similar volumes and some of my friends who've used them finished their Ironmans admirably. You don't really need to put 20 - 30 hours a week to do well. Sometimes doing too much volume will lead you to feeling more fatigued. Following a plan like the one you linked allows you to you recover well and gain the fitness needed to race well.
2017-06-15 11:17 AM
in reply to: 0

I used his "super simple" plan for my first half.
I'm a completer with 'limited' experience.

Assuming the underlying principals of his varied plans are the same, I can tell you this....
Before I clicked the "submit" button on the race registration page...I had done all the mental math you do as a beginner/first timer/completer with a few years of sprints and Olympics under their belt. You know, this math...

OK, the swim....should take me 40 minutes, but let's go with 45 minutes...say an even hour if I have to use the sit-down facilities or have a few minutes of freak out.
Bike....it takes me X hours to ride 50 miles.
Run....I can do 6 miles at my "good pace", but let's use a little more because I'll be coming off the bike....Y hours.
Throw in another 20 minutes for another pit stop or two and some extra slower walking...Z hours...for the last half.
Z being quite a bit more than Y.

45 + X + Y + Z = 8 hours and some change. Whew. I can click submit. I'll finish.

The reality for me was that the dedication to the plan improved my swim time a fair chunk. The ride was much faster with no stop lights/signs or the hills I like to ride. The run....well...a third of the way into the plan I figured out that I wasn't going to be anywhere near my "good" pace after the swim and bike, but I also found I would be able to "run" darn near, if not all, the 13.1 with some planned "walking/slow trotting".

From the get go I knew I was being conservative with my abilities and generous with "bathroom break time" and "freak out time in the water" or "suncreeners provided by the race saved me 5 minutes"....I knew I'd do better than 8 and some change.

What I wasn't expecting was 6 and some change. I credit that 100% to the plan. It was 33 minutes in the water...which is 3 minutes better than I was doing in the pool at the tail end of my training. The bike, I may have overcooked, but I was feeling it and I had done enough training to know I would have plenty in the tank. X was about a half an hour to 40 minutes less. Y was a bit longer, but it was two Y's and no Z.

Again, I'm a completer. If his underlying principal behind the plans is the same...I would think the one you linked being "not free" is probably even better. For me, I felt I finished strong with limited "planned" walking...(and of all 3 running is by far my weakest) .a quarter mile here or there and many of the aid stations. I felt great. Ate White Castle for a late lunch. Drove 5.5 hours home. Ate pizza. Drank a beer. And still was awake at 10:30. 10:31? Probably not.

I may or may not be using his super simple full IM plan. I may or may not be 3 or so weeks into it.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-15 11:18 AM
2017-06-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

New user
The Woodlands, Texas
Thank you both for the awesome feedback, I think I have a winner in this plan here!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Ironman Plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

entry level road bike- Specialized Allez vs Trek 1.1

Started by mikeha
Views: 2005 Posts: 6

2017-05-29 8:43 AM Excelseeor

Masters Ironman Training plans/Coaches

Started by adker
Views: 1251 Posts: 10

2017-03-24 10:01 AM JohnnyKay

Training on a first level entry bike

Started by Greedo100
Views: 713 Posts: 3