General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-14 12:33 PM

Subject: Which Shoes?
I'm training for my first tri (sprint) and can't decide on which pair of shoes to use. I have a regular old (okay, it's fairly new) hybrid bike, so no fancy pedal system requiring fancy shoes.

My shoe choices are my tried and true Brooks Ghost (whatever number) and a pair of Nike Metcon2 - the latter are regularly used for kickboxing.

Ideally I'd pick the running shoes; however, I have wide feet, so they're cumbersome (to say the least) and don't give me great connection with my pedals - there's so much darn sole! On the other hand, they're super comfy running shoes.

The Nikes are great for biking with a much thinner sole and wide enough toe box for my duck feet without being bulky. But, while I can run 5 k in them, they just aren't made for running. I tried them on yesterday morning and the day after a mere 5 k, the outside of my ankles are sore. Of course, it could just be an adjustment thing since my body isn't used to running in the shoes and I suffered through several uphill sprints (evil and heart-attack inducing exercises!), or it could be that they're just not great for my running style. Or any running style.

Arguably, I could wear one pair for the bike portion and then change, but counting on doing the whole thing in turtle speed, I need to save as much time as I can in the transition area...

So, what do I pick? The shoes good for biking or the shoes good for running.

2017-06-14 2:38 PM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Which Shoes?
Just my two cents:

-Put elastic laces on your running shoes and keep them in transition. If you change your shoes out, it shouldn't really be that big of a deal. If you practice ahead of time..maybe 10 or 15 seconds? Probably quicker the more you do it. Those elastic laces work wonders.

You could go shoe shopping for something good for both the cycle and run...but unless you have your bike with you probably won't help..
2017-06-15 10:48 AM

, Texas
I recently bought new running shoes from a running store, and talked with the owner about the fact that I was going to be using the running shoes for cycling as well. I have little experience with either, but he put me in a pair of brooks ghost. The only thing he warned me about is the fact that I will wear the padding of my shoes out faster using them for both running and cycling, so I may need to purchase new shoes sooner. With that in mind, if I am only biking, I often use an older pair of tennis shoes so I don't completely wear out my new shoes in a couple of months.

I don't have fancy clipless pedals yet either. I bought a set of toe cages from REI for $7 and put them on my bike. Even though I don't plan to tighten them down, they help me keep my foot in the right area for biking and do help.
2017-06-15 11:13 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Trine I'm training for my first tri (sprint) and can't decide on which pair of shoes to use. I have a regular old (okay, it's fairly new) hybrid bike, so no fancy pedal system requiring fancy shoes. My shoe choices are my tried and true Brooks Ghost (whatever number) and a pair of Nike Metcon2 - the latter are regularly used for kickboxing. Ideally I'd pick the running shoes; however, I have wide feet, so they're cumbersome (to say the least) and don't give me great connection with my pedals - there's so much darn sole! On the other hand, they're super comfy running shoes. The Nikes are great for biking with a much thinner sole and wide enough toe box for my duck feet without being bulky. But, while I can run 5 k in them, they just aren't made for running. I tried them on yesterday morning and the day after a mere 5 k, the outside of my ankles are sore. Of course, it could just be an adjustment thing since my body isn't used to running in the shoes and I suffered through several uphill sprints (evil and heart-attack inducing exercises!), or it could be that they're just not great for my running style. Or any running style. Arguably, I could wear one pair for the bike portion and then change, but counting on doing the whole thing in turtle speed, I need to save as much time as I can in the transition area... So, what do I pick? The shoes good for biking or the shoes good for running.

I have platform pedals and so I cycle in my running shoes.  I feel that it is more important for the shoes to comfortable to run in that to cycle in.  In my first two 70.3 races I put elastic laces in my running race flats (for a quick transition) and used them on the bike and the run.  I train with a more sturdy running shoe.  It has a thicker sole and I thought it might help my feet in the cycling portion to take less stress and get me to the run with fresher legs. so for my 3rd race which was and Olympic distance race I put the elastic laces in the training shoes to race in.  The two 70.3 races I did both had the run on asphalt the training flats worked well.  The Olympic distance triathlon was on a dirt road and I was happy to have the thicker stiffer soles when I landed on walnut sized rocks, etc.  

I would take your most comfortable running shoes.  I can cycle in my wing tipped formal shoes, my moccasins, my steel toes boots, etc and with minor adjustment in my peddling can be successful.  On the run I can't do that.  If were to ware the wrong shoes I would get blisters, etc and it would severely effect my run time.

2017-06-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26I would take your most comfortable running shoes.  I can cycle in my wing tipped formal shoes, my moccasins, my steel toes boots, etc and with minor adjustment in my peddling can be successful.  On the run I can't do that.  If were to ware the wrong shoes I would get blisters, etc and it would severely effect my run time.

x2
Run in what you run in.
Ride with what you ride in.
95+% of the people in a given race are changing shoes between the two events...you can too.

I'm a wide. I didn't know that. For years I didn't wear wide shoes for anything. That was not without consequences. In my case, fortunately, minor.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which Shoes? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Quality road shoes v. quality tri shoes

Started by nc452010
Views: 1031 Posts: 13

2017-03-20 3:15 PM davetib

Wrong Shoes

Started by runtim23
Views: 1263 Posts: 10

2016-08-30 9:30 AM dandr614

Transitioning to Zero Drop/Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes