General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 33s
Overall Rank = 14/82
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Stayed in a local hotel, up at 5-shower/coffee/400 calories of food (poptart; Boost, rk treat, bananna). Absolutely no issue with parking for this race. Easy drive in and park. Setting up transition at 6am and transition closed at 6:45. Had to go down to registration which is a walk and Mike brought the bike and transition stuff to my spot.
Event warmup:

Barely made the swim warmup as I was screwing around in transition and still forgot to put gatorade into my bike bottle. Didn't get to do a run warmup. But did swim for 5 minutes and did some anaerobic breathing to remember oxygen deficit.
Swim
  • 17h 32m
  • 880 yards
  • 1h 59m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

happy with being in control. didn't wear HR monitor and that helped too
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1802842408
What would you do differently?:

not follow the guy going off course
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I thought I was going to be faster. Couldn't get the suit over the timing chip. Had to take my (empty) bottle out-forgot to put the gatorade in it. Not sure if it was a good decision to go without calf stockings? 21/82 OA

Set up correctly. Use the calf stockings. Be more efficient
Bike
  • 35m 59s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 19.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I hit my goals and power expectations. Still, it's a sprint race and that means you have to push and suffer a bit. That always hurts. I didn't have an extra gear as my legs were a bit dead from recent training. AP=212; NP=221
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1802873887

Taper more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I picked out a perfect spot in transition this time. Still gave away time when I tried to put on my right bike shoe, twice, instead of my run shoe. Each time someone yelled-'RUN shoe!' So, thanks to whomever that was helping me. I was thirsty and took time to get and drink some gatorade, then jogged by an aid station just outside of transition, so I didn't need to do that either.

Use the bike shoes just for cycling, not running. No gatorade needed in transition, except on the bike.
Run
  • 22m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were dead today. No juice. Should have worn calf stockings, which has helped me in the run.

Taper better and wear calf stockings.
Post race
Warm down:

Pushed hard and as usual, took about 1/2 hour before I felt normal again. So happy to hear Mike routing for me on the course and coming down with me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Taper mostly.

Event comments:

The Pat Griskus series is well known and extremely well run. I have only done the mid week sprint (once, 3 years ago) and this sprint option during the Oly has only been around for a few years. Great venue, great people working and plenty of volunteers. The timing company allowed you to not only print your times/splits and look up others, but also had a big screen where your time was displayed so you could take a picture. Very cool!

Last updated: 2017-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
17:32:00 | 880 yards | 1h 59m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 28/82
Performance: Good
my Garmin said I swam 1200 yds, that would not be a very straight line, but I did NOT have a panic attack and that is a victory-and my pace was fast, going all over the course @ 1:32/100yd https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1802842408/1
Suit: Helix sleeveless
Course: 3 Sprint/yellow buoys-inside of the Oly/red buoys; making a triangle in the water; keep buoys on right and stay left; out and back in from the beach on the left side of the beach from the same starting spot; must remember to start way left and stay outside*
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:59 | 11.6 miles | 19.34 mile/hr
Overall: 8/82
Held power @ 225w. Left second Garmin on bike-good idea. Forgot to stop it again. I'll get the hang of these timing devices eventually. Flew through the first 5 miles at ~24mph with the downhills. Held power pretty well going up the hills-3 miles/500ft. Tried to run down each person in front of me. No one passed me on the bike. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1802873887 AP=212; NP=221
Wind: Little
Course: Clockwise loop around the lake. Fewer people on the course than I expected. Significant turn at 3.8 miles with sprint going to the right and oly going left. Rolling hills in the last few miles with lots of gentle down sloping roads and a few sections newly paved.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:22:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 19/82
started a bit slower and then tried to pick it up on the flat and push on the hill. No HR monitor and went by feel. Executed well. Push hard as soon as you take the turn right and then try to sprint once you turn left towards the park. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1802842408/2
Course: Out and back-down the hill, hit the turn around cone and come back up the hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-06-19 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Sprint Triathlon

Started by Dunn Right
Views: 915 Posts: 1

2016-06-21 2:31 PM Dunn Right

Smithfield Sprint Triathlon

Started by Dunn Right
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2016-06-21 2:28 PM Dunn Right

Tri Latta Sprint Triathlon

Started by roserc
Views: 913 Posts: 1