General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muncie 70.3 Spectator Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-21 7:35 PM

Subject: Muncie 70.3 Spectator Tips
Hi all,
Looking for tips and recommendations for my wife and I for Muncie in July. For those of you who have been there, can you tell me what you know about:

-Dinner spots for Friday night
-Are there food or drink options for spectators during the race
-Best places to set up to watch
-Any other tips or advice

I appreciate anything you can share.

Thanks!

2017-06-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #5222806

User image

Subject: RE: Muncie 70.3 Spectator Tips
From what I can recall from last year, the swim exit was decent, and the beginning/end of the run course was good. (Run is an out and back). However, it is seriously boring in Muncie. I purposely left my family at home because the race is in the middle of nowhere.

The race itself, from an athlete perspective was good and I would go back, but not with the family.

The only respectable place to eat the night before was Amazing Joe's Grill: www.amazingjoes.com

They had a decent menu. Everything else in Muncie is fast-food. Andersonville may have more options, but still nothing to write a review about.

If I were you, I would have the family sit out for Muncie.

Just my $0.02.
2017-06-22 1:29 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

Subject: RE: Muncie 70.3 Spectator Tips
I never made it to Muncie proper.
Most of the racers I think stay in Anderson.
There's a fair number of restaurants there. Don't know much about them. Lots of chains but some local places too.

Spectating....there was a local organization selling pork-patty-on-a-bun/hamburgers/hot dogs when I was there. I didn't eat any of it. The post race food for the athletes was pretty meh. There was some shaved ice trucks and an ice cream truck too, or something. There is/was a restaurant about a mile or 2 up the road from transition on the bike course. No clue as to how nice it is or if it's still open.

I would read up on the website about spectating. The swim/transition/run area is easy and that's where any food would be. But, since there's really only one road in and out of that area....the bike course goes north....and the run goes to the south.....you'd want to check when they open/close them. The bike course is more or less closed. But, I recall seeing groups of people dotting the first 1/3rd of the loop portion of the bike at some intersections. There must be some roads in and around there that you can get to from the lake area.

I don't recall seeing anyone on the run course except the first/last quarter mile.

I'd have to echo JeffB a bit...not a great family destination or astounding spectator atmosphere. My family would have been underwhelmed by Muncie. I don't even recall a playground anywhere nearby for little 'uns. It was my "first" and by then, I knew there'd be others if I wanted. But, don't get me wrong....it's a great, super well organized, fun race.

Parking isn't too bad. At worse.... 1/2 to 1 mile? Probably way closer to a half mile. Maybe even less. They won't let your family drop you off. They're really aggressive about getting people in fast and getting them parked. Which....is a very good thing. There'll be some traffic in the morning. You don't have to go SUPER early, but you don't want to push it at all. Some say that road from the south is less crowded in the morning...but I figured I'd just follow the cars with bike racks.

I went and found the link on the swim tip.
http://crushingiron.com/tag/muncie-half-ironman/
Don't hug the buoys on the way out. I recall the leg back being a little straighter the year I did it. But for sure, if the leg out is like this....start left.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muncie 70.3 Spectator Tips Rss Feed