General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie here Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-25 7:02 PM

User image

Subject: Newbie here
Hello. I'm new - BRAND NEW - I'm doing my first tri July 29th. The Wild Rose Sprint in TN. I wear glasses so I'm curious to know if anyone has pointers for transitioning with the glasses.

2017-06-26 8:34 AM
in reply to: Kissminnie1

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Newbie here

Check with the race director.  

Many races have a table where participants like you can place their glasses for retrieval at the swim exit.  Alternatively, they may allow your favorite spectator to hand you your glasses after you get out of the water.  If you do this option, pick a place where you can walk to without your glasses and not impede other participants.  As an example, if you exit the water and have to turn right 50' from the water, have your favorite spectator standing on the left just past the turn.  (It will work far better for you to be on the outside of the turn.)  

While it will seem like some fumbling around, you may consider navigating all the way to your bike without glasses.  Practice the walk from swim to exactly where your bike is racked a time or two with your glasses and again a few times without your glasses.  50-steps, go right, 37 steps, pass under the flags, 24 steps, turn right, 10 steps, your bike!  

Regardless, expect that your glasses may be smudged or spotted and have a way to clean them before you start riding.  

Welcome to the sport!  

2017-06-26 3:23 PM

I'm also doing my first tri in July I've ordered some prescription sunglasses (that are currently delayed ) for the bike and run portion. Of course, I can also see well enough to make my way from the water to the transition area. Anyway, If you have vision insurance, then you can probably get a decent pair cheap-ish. And good luck!!!
2017-06-26 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
In addition to the great info you have already received, you might be able to find a pair of prescription swim goggles that work for you.

I have read here on BT of folks who got them, inexpensively, and wore them after the swim up to the T1 area. If you do not have a significantly complex prescription, this might be an answer.

Oh, and welcome!

2017-06-26 8:38 PM
in reply to: Trine

User image

I have prescription sun glasses already. I was looking into prescription googles for swimming. I have a degenerative eye disease so I have multiple pairs based on activity. Driving different than computer, etc. If I like it - and I think I'm going to love it based on training - I will invest in the prescription googles for swimming..

Good luck on your first race!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie here Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by lowdon
Views: 759 Posts: 3

2017-02-23 4:02 PM lowdon

Newbie from West Valley Phoenix...

Started by madesertrat
Views: 827 Posts: 2

2017-01-01 9:15 AM Triacy

Hello from a newbie in Santa Cruz!!