General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello Self Doubt - so happy you could make it... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-26 6:27 PM

Subject: Hello Self Doubt - so happy you could make it...
My first race is less than two weeks away and now self doubt is hitting hard.

What in the world am I doing?

I've never been a college athlete. Or a school athlete or anything like that. I've never been on the swim team. I suffered through a 10K 10 years ago and a 5K two years ago (there was wine at the finish line). I biked all over the place when I grew up (gotta love living in Europe), but have never done anything that even smelled like distance biking.

Am I in decent shape? Yes, but my workouts until three weeks ago consisted of 30 minutes circuit training mixed with kickboxing. So, I can land a round kick and am pretty adept at the speed bag, but that isn't going to help me much come race day.

Have I been training? Yes, two swim days, two run, two bike (one as a brick) each week. Can I run 3 miles? Yes - I'm never going to be fast, but I can certainly do it. Can I bike 14 miles? No problem, but I still wish I had a road bike. Can I swim 750 m in open water? Yes - just did 600 without much trouble.

But the self doubt is still there

2017-06-26 10:46 PM
in reply to: Trine

Subject: RE: Hello Self Doubt - so happy you could make it...
Originally posted by Trine

My first race is less than two weeks away and now self doubt is hitting hard.

What in the world am I doing?

I've never been a college athlete. Or a school athlete or anything like that. I've never been on the swim team. I suffered through a 10K 10 years ago and a 5K two years ago (there was wine at the finish line). I biked all over the place when I grew up (gotta love living in Europe), but have never done anything that even smelled like distance biking.

Am I in decent shape? Yes, but my workouts until three weeks ago consisted of 30 minutes circuit training mixed with kickboxing. So, I can land a round kick and am pretty adept at the speed bag, but that isn't going to help me much come race day.

Have I been training? Yes, two swim days, two run, two bike (one as a brick) each week. Can I run 3 miles? Yes - I'm never going to be fast, but I can certainly do it. Can I bike 14 miles? No problem, but I still wish I had a road bike. Can I swim 750 m in open water? Yes - just did 600 without much trouble.

But the self doubt is still there

Self doubt about what? Whether you can complete it? Breaststroke if you have to and walk. A lot of people, me included, did zero training/preparation for their first sprint, signed up because we lost a bet or signed up on a whim and the race was a mess.. so maybe expect things to go wrong and just aim to finish. There are some very out of shape people competing and most, if not all, will finish, so you will be fine in that regard. You may not break any records, but you'll finish.
2017-06-26 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

This will be your first race so it is more of a learning experience.  What you can do and how fast you are is not important.  Just going out and doing the race and what you learn from it is what really matters - and...having fun.

1st - I'd ask how old you are.  The younger you are the more likely that you have enough gas in your tank to do this job.  Most likely you do.  If you can swim the distance, bike the distance and run the distance you can do this.

2nd - If you've done ANY exercise for 1.5 hours then you can do this one little race.  

3rd - Your brain is your worst enemy.  It will tell you anything to get out of this experience.  Your 1% doubt will overwhelm your 99% certainty that you can do this.  Don't listen to your brain.  You CAN do this.  Anytime your brain tries to tell you that you can't, practice shutting your brain down.  Calm yourself, take a deep breath and relax.  No matter how doubting you are be there at your race and do it.  Enjoy the event, talk to people and encourage them, remember all you see and do.  What works what doesn't?

4th - Visualization - imagine your entire race start to finish and specifically crossing the finish line.

I've never been to a race that I didn't come to the water thinking, "What the heck am I doing here?" but I am always glad I did.  I never regret going/ starting/ finishing.  I always regret doubt or letting that inner voice win.

Your mind will always try to stop you - that is what you win by starting and finishing - you beat that self-doubt.

At my first sprint in 2012 I was 100% certain I was going to drown in the swim.  I did have a bad swim (750m in 21 minutes) but I had a great bike and decent run.  I had fun and two weeks later I had another sprint and a great swim, bike and run.

Come back here in a few weeks and tell us how you did and how much fun it is.

2017-06-27 2:00 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You can do the distances? You are in a pretty good shape? then you can do it. You may not win but you can do it.

A few weeks before my first race, I was diagnosed with anemia Not easy to do endurance sports with little red cells in your blood, I tell you.
So I biked at my "I'm going shopping" pace and walked most of the run. And guess what? I wasn't last (not that it matters) and I learned a lot.

Just enjoy the day. You can do this

2017-06-27 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Relax

You will be fine and have a great time.

Look at the race as fun and not competition. Stay in your zone and don't try to pace yourself off of other racers.

It is natural to have self doubt about first race. We all been there.

I learned to swim properly about two weeks before my first race. Purchased my road bike for $200 and didn't know how to change the gears properly. I had started running two months prior to the race. I did okay and had a great time. I got hooked because of all the encouragement from the other racers. Loved the sportsmanship.

Seven years later, I have a carbon bike and completed every level of Triathlon races.

We all start somewhere.
2017-06-27 8:44 AM

User image

you definitely have what it takes physically to complete the race...the self doubt will be with you until you jump into the water...after that...IT'S ON!

I've competed in athletics from the time I was 5, through college...no matter how many times I competed, I always got the pre-game/competition jitters, but they disappear as soon as the event starts and you get into the ZONE.

I took 20 years off from any competitive sports before I did my first sprint tri this year...5 days before the race, I was diagnosed with Shingles...talk about self-doubt. I already didn't feel ready for the swim and wanted to be in better running shape before the race, but the Shingles multiplied my self doubt exponentially. I was just so exhausted that week and the right side of my body felt so inflamed. I spent the next 3 days alternating telling myself, "there's no way you can do this...drop out" and "you trained too hard to quit now...just show up and have fun". The "just show up and have fun" me prevailed and I'm so glad it did.

Because I felt terrible, I went into the race with no expectations other than to learn how a TRI works, finish and have fun. In retrospect, getting shingles was probably the best thing that could have happened to me that week...it allowed me to enjoy my first race and to not put a ton of pressure on myself to perform to a certain level. I learned a ton, finished and had a blast and now I'm hooked! I've signed up for another sprint this year and I have a goal to do 3 sprints and an oly next year.

I guess this was a long way of saying...YOU GOT THIS...SHOW UP, HAVE FUN, MEET NEW PEOPLE AND LEARN ALOT! Let us know how your race goes!

-john

2017-06-27 9:14 AM

You got this.
Seriously. I also am still new enough to this to know that no matter what any of us say, you will still waffle between self-doubt and bouts of satisfying confidence.

One thing I think I can safely say is you've got more consistent swimming under your belt than probably 90% of all first time "completers". To me as a completer, it would have been huge to have that consistency rather than splashing around in the pool with my kids and swimming laps once for like 20 minutes...which included lots of hanging out on the wall and deeming myself "ready". While even many of those 90% might have been confident swimmers, like myself, they probably hadn't swam that far since they were in Boy Scouts or something. The other 10% were on swim team 15 years ago in high school. For many, it's the source of the most anxiety.

Frankly, your biggest concern should be that you will outperform your expectations, meet some genuinely nice and encouraging people, and be shocked by the number of people who volunteer for zero personal/financial/charitable gain simply so you can do something you love. You should be concerned that when you cross that finish line, you're not elated simply by crossing. You knew that was going to happen the minute you got out of the water. You're elated because you did way better than you thought and even passed a bunch of people....but it's not even that. It's that you still feel good. Sure, worn....but still strong and you start wondering if you could "go 'round again."

That's why you should be scared. Because then you'll realize that one of the things you're feeling is a massive case of bike envy over all those sleek looking rides with "whoosh whoosh/clickety clickety" wheels on them. And you will then start immediately wondering how much money you can afford to spend on various aspects of this new endeavor who's butt you just kicked.

That, well. It's gonna happen. Just take your time with that part of it. Deals can be found on everything from bikes to clothes to helmets. In fact, when you actually look around, you realize that you only notice the blingy stuff. And while the bling isn't an outlier, it's hardly a majority at most races.

I used to weigh 300+ lbs. I was 40+ years old when I started losing weight and halfway in, a friend suggested I do a tri. Not knowing that there were triathlons that didn't involve marathons, I thought he was crazy until he explained it to me. Also, at this point, when I signed up....I hadn't run more than a mile outside in 30+ years. I still rode my hybrid for 2 years. Raced for a year in jammers and t-shirts. I did buy a race belt immediately, because safety pins suck and you can pick them up for less than the cost of a cheeseburger. I'll always be a bike behind "everyone else" (which we already established wasn't really EVERYONE else. It's a great journey...and what you're really feeling is anticipation...not doubt.

You got this.
2017-06-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

Oh....here's my other pro-noob tip.

Read the rules. Don't fret about the ones that nobody's likely going to call you on....unless you are kicking tail. Like having x seconds to pass. Don't be counting in your head or anything, but be aware of what you're "supposed" to do in certain situations. As long as you're following the spirit of the rules, it will add confidence. Most of them are either safety or even more 'etiquette' related. Treat it like the written driving test. You don't need to know how long of strap you can have when towing another vehicle, you just have to be aware there's a limitation on the length that strap....they never ask those questions...and if they do, it'll be the obvious answer. Same with the rules.

Also, it doesn't hurt to read blogs/articles/posts about 'etiquette'. How to set up transition/rack your bike/etc. While it's all very common sense, it was reassuring for me to know I wasn't getting in anybody's way, yet still able to make it MY day too.

Those things are binary. You don't have to train for them or have fitness for them. It's one more set of question marks you can remove simply by reading something.

And yes, there will be porta potties. But, there will be a line right before the race. Plan accordingly.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-06-27 9:24 AM
2017-06-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Alright - thanks so much for all the support and stories. It's made me calm down and re-focus on what this race is really about.

I did go run this morning - my best run/hill sprint to date. That was nice and I spent the evening making my pack list. I love lists and sitting down and going over everything made me even more calm. I also spent some time reading a plethora of 10 things a triathlete should know, not do, etc.

And I'll plan my potty break according to jhaack39's advice. It made me laugh, so thanks for that

I can totally do this!!

Oh, and I'm 38 and a 21 minute swim time would be pretty awesome for me. We're all different, and that's okay. If you asked me two months ago if I'd ever train for or do a sprint tri, I'd tell you that it must be something great you were smoking.
2017-06-28 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Trine
and I spent the evening making my pack list. I love lists and sitting down and going over everything made me even more calm. I also spent some time reading a plethora of 10 things a triathlete should know, not do, etc.

And I'll plan my potty break according to jhaack39's advice. It made me laugh, so thanks for that

If you like lists....you are gonna luuurrrve this sport. You can make lists. Lists of lists. And then a checklist for lists if you want.
And I always note the port potties. Because those were the kinds of questions I had before I'd been to a few races.
Not "how do I get on my bike......how do I ride....what do I need to bring on my bike...where do I run out" All that stuff is common sense/etc. or well marked, or they're making announcements about it.

I had a lot of non-race specific logistics questions. And I was a little afraid to ask them because they seemed like a "dumb question". So I always answer the one for anyone that's embarrassed to ask about it now that I know. I must admit, I was afraid to ask if there would be places to use the facilities.
Sprints/Olympics, they'll have portapotties by transition. They are busy right before the race. It's nice if they put them really close to transition for us older gents who can't go much more than an hour on the bike without needing one and could use one before the run. For those lengths, there usually isn't anything on the bike/run course. Occasionally I've seen >sprint or an Olympic that might have something on the run course, and they'll usually note it in the race info/map. Otherwise, you have a big lake that you'll be spending 20 minutes in. I chuckle every time I see the "Smile if you peed in the lake" sign. I'm immature.

No earbuds if you didn't read that. That's a gotcha for people who go into it blind without reading the rules/etc. Ride to the right unless passing and people will like you. Ride to the left, and they won't. Unless the rules specify, you don't need to wear your bib on the bike. You can. Don't have to. You don't need the whole "balloon" thing. You will find your bike. Even in a massive race, all you need is a quick mental note. It's not that big of a deal.

If you want to take a Home Depot type bucket, take a bucket. I know it's 'uncouth' in the "cool world" of triathletes. I'm not a triathlete. I just do triathloning. I liked the bucket. I don't use it anymore as I've stopped taking everything including the kitchen sink and can fit everything into my backpack. They're cheap. They're waterproof, and they double as a comfy seat.

Take at least a moment on the bike to look around and enjoy the day. We do love doing this stuff. First race I did, we went by a sunflower farm in full bloom. And all I remember is I noticed it. I didn't take a moment to savor it. All I remember is that it was "amazing". If I would have taken a moment, to soak it in, I'd have a better recollection of it and could go find it again. Appreciate the fact that there will be volunteers there just so you can do this. They don't get paid. Sometimes the bigger races make a contribution to church and school groups, but that's usually bigger races. They get NOTHING out of the deal except maybe a cheap t-shirt. I find this more and more astounding the more I think about it.

Also, don't think about what you're going to do at the finish line yet. Raised arms/clapping/fist pump.....Save that for any low point on the run. Also, use that last quarter mile to adjust your sunglasses, take your hat off and stuff it in your pocket....or pull that hat out and put it on...whatever your needs are. This will be the first and last picture of you crossing the finish line at your first tri. You wanna look good so you can post it on Facebook and get tons of jealous likes from people who wish you wouldn't talk about triathlon so much....but are still soooooo jealous they can't stop themselves from clicking the LIKE button.

Wow. I rambled again. I just wish I was racing this weekend and got carried away.
2017-11-15 11:28 AM

Just enjoy the day. You can do this

2017-11-15 11:30 AM

We all start somewhere
2017-11-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by zedzded

signed up because we lost a bet or signed up on a whim

Or because we were drunk...
2017-11-15 12:53 PM

Nah, you'll be fine. My first IM was in France. Due to law there i was required to get a local French doctor certification. Upon seeing my ample white flabby torso she asked "if i really wanted to do this".

I finished just fine.

I say this because it lead to a simple rule I have: "If, upon hearing your race plans, a doctor reacts only in moderate horror or better then you'll have no problem finishing the race."
2017-11-15 10:55 PM
in reply to: d.rock90

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
So how did it go?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello Self Doubt - so happy you could make it... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Weather is making me mad!

Started by Shotshell
Views: 346 Posts: 2

2017-04-26 12:02 PM Shotshell

Most satisfying gains made

Started by jonD81
Views: 1522 Posts: 23

2016-10-29 12:11 PM MikeD1

8.3.16 Happy Hump Day!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 580 Posts: 4