General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrade to Flo 90s...? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-06-29 7:32 PM

User image

Subject: Upgrade to Flo 90s...?
Currently have a pair of decent-ish wheels - DT Suisse 40mm rc670, front and rear. (Demos got good deal some years back)

I like the ROI on Flo 90 wheels, but have not seen any comparison to wheels of my caliber in terms of time-savings.

My main motivation is to buy a couple minutes free speed in HMs , I'm 47 and need all the help I can get. I also like the look of the wheel from a wow factor., but primary motivation is speed

Any experiences, insights into a similar upgrade path appreciated.

Also , would consider disc wheel,,,but are they a hassle? (I have a shiv so I don't think the disc overlay is option)

My other thought was to patiently wait for used pair of zips Firecrest 808 but not sure how much better they are in performance than flo 90

Best regards,

Todd

Edited by Stuckinthemiddle 2017-06-29 7:35 PM

2017-06-30 1:24 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

Subject: RE: Upgrade to Flo 90s...?
I'm 46.
I'm looking for "free" stuff too. Not necessarily speed. Because I know hard work could buy me a lot more of that for a lot cheaper.
I figure I'm looking for free energy. If I can get down the road a little further, having expended slightly less energy and I have the disposable income....
Plus, I had a problem with my old wheels warping on climbs due to my...uhm....robustness....so I was gonna spend not insignificant cash even for regular wheels.

I bought 60/90s from Flo.
I like 'em. Am I faster? Probably mathematically. But for me, it's so marginal. I am pretty sure when I go down big hills I'm faster. There's one I do quite a bit that since I've had them, I sit up and let my girth act like a sail because I feel like I'm going too fast and people drive on that road as if though it were an interstate. Could be that I'm just a year older and smarter, not that much faster.

But, they look terrific on my bike and they only cost a small fortune, not a big fortune.

Even with the 60 up front, I am not fond of riding in serious crosswind. I'm still a bit twitchy, particularly at slow speeds....usually at a stoplight...when there's other cars right near me. And when it's windy going down that big hill, I stay low and ride brakes. Up too high and the center of gravity gets thrown off. Nothing I can't handle, in the end. I myself....(me only, personal....not an opinion....just ME)....wouldn't want a 90 up front. I'm not good enough to be comfortable enough with it. But...again....that's not an opinion. That is totally personal. Any strong cyclist wouldn't have a problem with it I would imagine.

Either way, if you got the cash....go for it. If you don't have the patience, Flo's the answer. If you have the patience, then the sky's the limit.

2017-06-30 6:28 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

.......There's one I do quite a bit that since I've had them, I sit up and let my girth act like a sail because I feel like I'm going too fast and people drive on that road as if though it were an interstate. Could be that I'm just a year older and smarter, not that much faster.

But, they look terrific on my bike and they only cost a small fortune, not a big fortune.

That part about being a sail is hilarious! Thanks for taking the time to respond, this perspective is very helpful
2017-07-01 4:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle

Currently have a pair of decent-ish wheels - DT Suisse 40mm rc670, front and rear. (Demos got good deal some years back)

I like the ROI on Flo 90 wheels, but have not seen any comparison to wheels of my caliber in terms of time-savings.

My main motivation is to buy a couple minutes free speed in HMs , I'm 47 and need all the help I can get. I also like the look of the wheel from a wow factor., but primary motivation is speed

Any experiences, insights into a similar upgrade path appreciated.

Also , would consider disc wheel,,,but are they a hassle? (I have a shiv so I don't think the disc overlay is option)

My other thought was to patiently wait for used pair of zips Firecrest 808 but not sure how much better they are in performance than flo 90

If speed is your primary motivation, you will probably get more bang for the buck elsewhere.
Tire/tube choice is "low cost", high value especially when you need to buy new tires anyways
Clothing is huge. Huge. People neglect this
Helmets can be significant.

Depends where your starting from but if you are in a baggy jersey, gatorskins and a road helmet you will find MUCH more significant gains for less money than a wheel upgrade. But even if you aren't starting from so far behind, you will still probably get more value elsewhere.

Edited by marcag 2017-07-01 4:21 AM
2017-07-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I wouldn't buy Flo 90s. I wouldn't buy a 90 front regardless of the wheel company, there are really no advantages and only disadvantages. Regardless I did an in depth discussion on why the HED JET 6+ can't be beat. Basically faster, lighter, better braking, better handling, more comfortable, corner more confidently, future-proof, tubeless, available today, etc:

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2017/06/best-ironman-triathlon-aero-wh...
2017-07-10 7:22 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Hed Jet 6+ look fantastic and I did not realize they were so affordable.

Thanks for sharing the article.

2017-07-12 9:05 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

DC

I get how silly this sounds but I think there's true psychological value... but this is a sport where looks can matter, e.g., inspire you to go out and train harder b/c you have to live up to the speed image of fast/cool looking wheels.

As an aside, I have Flo 30's and 60's. As others have repeatedly said: excellent bargain/quality.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrade to Flo 90s...? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike wheels -- Upgrade??

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1632 Posts: 7

2017-03-01 9:15 AM Burchib

Bike Upgrade

Started by btyson
Views: 829 Posts: 2

2016-11-07 8:51 AM audiojan

Zipp 404 vs Flo 90

Started by oddermare
Views: 1988 Posts: 7

2016-10-02 10:56 AM Lupy

What all do I need to do to upgrade bike

Started by Stuartap
Views: 735 Posts: 5

2016-08-02 7:02 AM PBT_2009

When is it time to upgrade to a Tri/TT bike?

Started by gary p
Views: 2222 Posts: 17

2016-07-22 9:49 AM GODAWGS