Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 26s
Overall Rank = 54/217
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

got there early; did usual stuff and even got a warm up swim for ~6 minutes but felt off
Event warmup:

rode around the parking lot, jogged to truck and swam for 6 minutes; pretty weak
Swim
  • 22m 25s
  • 1150 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

went out WAY TOO FAST; even though I lined up way to the left, I felt I had pretty good control and wanted to go a bit faster-on the outside, but a guy kept drifting into me; going exactly my pace, so I went inside him. kept pressing and felt pretty good but starting to get breathless>then constricted, then it just got in my head that I couldn't control my breathing and at that moment as I was slowing, I got swam over. This always wigs me out and I had to flip to get control. My watch said 1:25 av pace so it was clearly my own fault going way, way too fast.
What would you do differently?:

not be a dumb ass
stay within myself

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1837827841/1
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

MUCH more efficient than last time a few weeks ago. Actually had fluid in my bottle. Got the wetsuit off quickly and jogged up the hill. Having calf stockings on was much easier on my feet. Felt pretty breathless from the swim and the jog in T1 didn't help my breathing at all. OA rank 30.

Not much other than try to come out of the swim less breathless.
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting in wave 5 with only clydes/relays behind me in wave 6. No one passed me on the bike, which always makes me happy. Seemed to take forever to find someone to pass. Held power good. Took 3 miles before my breathing was OK. Happy to have some peach rings on my bike and chilled gatorade as it was warm. Execution of the bike was spot on but could have pushed a bit harder but my heart wasn't into this race after the swim. AP=219 NP=227 (forgot to shut off Garmin, but I calculated this)

Execute the swim and keep the desire to do well for the rest of the race.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1837835424
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Actually put my helmet on while I was taking off my bike shoes, which I had loosened as I approached the Park. But I always have to do something to mess up my transition, so I had left the 'sneaker balls' to deodorize my run shoes inside so when I jammed my left foot into the shoe, it jammed my toe, causing an involuntary 'OW...shit..!!'

Otherwise, a pretty good T2. rank of 72 OA is still acceptable and I kept it under a minute, but wanted 45 sec.
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

There are a lot of fast runners! Got passed by only one relay guy, but even hunting down old women and children was challenging. They all seemed fast, or I am getting slower. Garmin still gave me a '5' for training effect, a sure sign that I pushed pretty hard.

Need to purchase some new, younger, fresher, less beaten down legs.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1837827841/2
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with the Savidges. Pat was 1 OA out of the water, as expected. He swam for SW HS when my kids were at ECHS. He is a truly talented athlete at 21 yo and he was doing his first tri. He said the bike was challenging because of the hills and it was hard to run after biking. Newbies!! Loved his big smile though.
http://iresultslive.com/?op=division&eid=2762&racename=Individual&d...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupidity, age. In that order.

Event comments:

Tom Wilkas has put this race on for 30+ years and he is a master of perfection in running it. This year it was the HS championship race, which is important, if we want the sport to transcend generations. Lots of volunteers, a challenging course and always good food/drink. The new timing company prints out your splits within seconds and is usually set up well before the final people come off the course.

Last updated: 2017-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:25 | 1150 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 122/217
Performance: Bad
NOT 1/2 mile swim; every one I talked to had 1150-1200 yds
Suit: Helix sleeveless-w cut legs now
Course: planned rectangle; orange/orange/yellow>yellow>(skip the drifted orange buoy) and back past the drifted orange buoy to shore told to ignore the drifted far orange buoy. I asked if the other buoys had drifted and was told with a big smile 'I don't think so..' yeah, right
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:15 | 10.5 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Overall: 31/217
Kept power at ~200-210 for both AP/NP for the first 4 miles. Wanted to push the hills and keep NP ~230ish for the climbs. Legs had a bit more energy and I was similar in my times from 2 weeks ago, on less energy and lower AP/NP. HR was in the high 140's consistently. AP=219; NP=227
Wind: None
Course: Big clockwise loop around the lake. Down hill for the first 4 miles. Then-4 important climbs @: 4.6 (0.3mi), 5.3 (*1.5mi), 7.2 (0.3mi), 8.5 (0.7mi-more gentle climb).
Road: Rough  Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 59/217
run seems a bit short and closer to 3 miles, even when I push the button late-every time, on my Garmin.
Course: Out of the park, to the right, loop around to the left. At ~1/2 mile, go down 200 ft for 1/2 mile, then flat to the turnaround and come back the same route. The 1/2 mile hill seems to have grown by the time you come back. It is actually 2 tiers of < 1/4 mile with 50 feet of semi-forgiveness before going back up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-07-06 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 1197 Posts: 1

2017-06-19 7:14 AM dtoce

Power of Pasco Sprint Triathlon

Started by burner2
Views: 933 Posts: 1

2016-07-17 12:19 AM burner2

MWR Diego Garcia Mini Sprint Triathlon

Started by navybeaver
Views: 913 Posts: 1

2016-07-10 5:40 AM navybeaver

Riding Mountain Triathlon - Sprint Course