General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I did it!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-10 11:34 AM

Subject: I did it!!
That's right! I finished my first sprint triathlon this weekend. I had a couple of concerns, mainly regarding the swim and my bike. Here are my final conclusions.

The Swim:
I managed just fine with the swim, doing the whole thing with breaststroke. 750 meters with a significant current (and jellyfish!) and I finished in 25 minutes (the water was a balmy 81 degrees, so no wetsuits were spotted). I was in the Novice wave, so there weren't many around to kick. I did, however, manage to pass some people during the swim and ensured that I left enough room not to kick them. Oh, and no need to tread water or rest on my back. I just swam, swam and swam. At least the stamina was there. That being said, my legs were pretty pooped afterwards, so I'll spend the next 12 weeks working on freestyle more (I just couldn't get comfortable enough in 4 short weeks)

The Biking:
I used a hybrid bike. Nothing fast and nothing sporty. I ended up biking at 15 mph, which is one mph faster than my training speed. There were some hills, but nothing like what I'm used to, so that helped. Of course, my legs weren't super happy after the swim, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Of course I want a road bike now, since I'm totally hooked. And I love the biking. Love. Love. Love!

The Run:
My legs were not happy at this point and the run was soooo hot! I just need to build up my running stamina - maybe then I won't dislike it so much.

I finished the whole thing in 2:03 - was hoping to do it in less than 2:10. I could have shaved some minutes off in T1 where I ran to the wrong end of the transition area for my bike. Doh!

Everyone was super nice and I had an exceptionally good time. I'm already looking forward to my next race (which I'll spend some more time training for)

2017-07-10 11:47 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: I did it!!

Great job Triathlete!

Glad you had a good time and already thinking about your next race.
2017-07-10 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yay! Congratulations! I also made a mistake in my first triathlon where I ran off the run course to what I thought was the finish chute but it wasn't, hehehe.
2017-07-10 11:56 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

We all make mistakes. I can't tell you how many I've made. Congrats on your first finish, and hopefully there are many more to come.

2017-07-10 12:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Great job! Sounds like you have some great takeaways for the next one!

2017-07-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Yes - one of them being that there's no way in hell I'll ever do anything longer than an Olympic (maybe next year). And I was in total awe of the 10 year old boy who completed the olympic distance the day after!

2017-07-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

Originally posted by kloofyroland

Yay! Congratulations! I also made a mistake in my first triathlon where I ran off the run course to what I thought was the finish chute but it wasn't, hehehe.

Hahaha nice!!! Luckily there was a half mile of orange cones to follow, or I'm sure I would have gone the wrong way too!
2017-07-10 1:12 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeah! Well done!
2017-07-10 1:16 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Way to go!

2017-07-10 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Congratulations. I'm glad to read that it all went well, and that you had FUN !
I guess that the self-doubt you wrote about earlier has been somewhat tamed

Good luck on your journey...

kelly

2017-07-10 1:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Trine

Yes - one of them being that there's no way in hell I'll ever do anything longer than an Olympic (maybe next year). And I was in total awe of the 10 year old boy who completed the olympic distance the day after!

I believe those were my very words after doing my first sprint... then olympic... then 70.3... then 140.6... then ultra marathon... etc. etc. etc. 

Some folks truly stick to their predictions, but you never know! 

2017-07-10 4:21 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I believe those were my very words after doing my first sprint... then olympic... then 70.3... then 140.6... then ultra marathon... etc. etc. etc. 

Some folks truly stick to their predictions, but you never know! 

Yea...I've heard that statement more than once...

I wrote an article for BT about how sprints are the siren song for triathletes.  

Congrats on finishing your first and being excited enough to want to do more.  

2017-07-11 6:21 AM
in reply to: #5224014

User image

Congrats! Glad you met your goals for your first triathlon and that you had FUN! It's also great to hear that you're already looking forward to your next race. WELL DONE TRIATHLETE!
2017-07-11 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Yep, many of us have said those words. I said it after my first Olympic race. "No way I would ever do a HIM or IM. Did a HIM after the Olympic and then did the IM races. You will be amazed it how your body will adapt to the longer training and prepare you for the longer races.

I see a lot of young kids that amaze me with their racing ability.
2017-07-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Yep, many of us have said those words. I said it after my first Olympic race. "No way I would ever do a HIM or IM. Did a HIM after the Olympic and then did the IM races. You will be amazed it how your body will adapt to the longer training and prepare you for the longer races.

Funny enough, this morning on my way to work this is pretty much how my thoughts were going:

Hmm, need to work on the swim. Will work on stamina and then get a coach in late August/September so I'm ready for the October race. I'll have to increase the swim distance a lot. Maybe I could do an olympic next year if I really train in the pool. And run. Of course I need to do more running. I love biking, that's not going to be a problem. Hmm. The HIM swim is only 1.2 miles, so it really wouldn't be that big an increase from an olympic. I could probably do a HIM too...

On another note, I didn't get sore at all. My knees are a little stiff and my ankles too, but that's it. I guess I didn't push myself too hard.
2017-07-11 9:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Funny enough, this morning on my way to work this is pretty much how my thoughts were going:

Hmm, need to work on the swim. Will work on stamina and then get a coach in late August/September so I'm ready for the October race. I'll have to increase the swim distance a lot. Maybe I could do an olympic next year if I really train in the pool. And run. Of course I need to do more running. I love biking, that's not going to be a problem. Hmm. The HIM swim is only 1.2 miles, so it really wouldn't be that big an increase from an olympic. I could probably do a HIM too...

On another note, I didn't get sore at all. My knees are a little stiff and my ankles too, but that's it. I guess I didn't push myself too hard.

*************************quote******************************************

Haha, just the thoughts that are going round in my head during every workout. After 4 years of sprints, I am finally contemplating doing an oly one day...

I have been saying for the last 4 years that I would never do anything longer than a sprint, sometimes it takes longer to get hooked.

Edited by Rollergirl 2017-07-11 9:16 AM

2017-07-11 9:58 AM

Yah....what everyone else said.....WELL DONE!....of course.
And pshaw....yeah....like you'll never do an Olympic.
$100 says you've already had some strange inexplicable urging to clean out the garage.
I can explain it....you're thinking about more room for bikes.

Here's a pro-noob tip regarding bikes and budgeting from a former hybrid rider.
Well, I still have my hybrid. I love that bike.

BUT.....

Once you come to the realization that, yeah...you REALLY have the tri-bug and....you'll do the Olympic....and likely more....
Don't run out and spend major bank on the roadbike.
Spend a modest amount for the road bike...and save for the tri-bike. Or just buy the tri-bike if you know you're obsessed and will be for quite some time.

I went out and bought a higher-mid-tier road bike on the advice of my cyclist brother. More versatile...'better for group rides'....etc. etc.
Of course, then I wanted a tri-bike almost immediately.
So then I went out and bought a used solid mid-tier tri-bike a year or two later. Not that I'm complaining having 3 bikes I love....but....

In retrospect, I could have saved quite a bit with a solid used road bike and continued saving for the tri-bike.

Also, here's some definite good news for ya.
Swimming. I think that's the discipline that you can make the most relative gains in....in the shortest amount of time.
Especially if you've got some running background already. Hit the pool 2-3 times a week, watch some vids, read some articles/posts, ask some questions and you almost can't improve immensely if your're not coming from a swim background.
2017-07-11 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Congrats on your first race!

It's funny that you say that because now when I race a sprint, my thoughts are, "I remember why don't like racing anything shorter than a HIM....these things hurt!!!"

2017-07-11 5:22 PM

User image

Elite

Congrats on your race!  Welcome to the insanity! Lol!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I did it!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone Done Both Raleigh and Muncie 70.3?

Started by linkslefty
Views: 801 Posts: 5

2017-03-01 3:03 PM FurnaceM3

Whatcha Y'all Doing This Year?

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1383 Posts: 8

2017-03-07 7:41 PM DomerTriGuy

Anyone doing SuperFrog 70.3 this weekend?

Started by dworth
Views: 652 Posts: 1

2016-09-23 11:40 AM dworth

Anyone Done Ironman Lanzarote?

Started by scottficek
Views: 1650 Posts: 5

2016-09-15 11:30 AM johnthecat

American doing IM abroad

Started by scottficek
Views: 1848 Posts: 19

2016-09-15 11:54 AM Patrick E