Huntsville, Ontario
Canada
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 38m 19s
Overall Rank = 694/1343
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/62
Pre-race routine:

The husband, kids and I arrived in Muskoka around 11pm on Friday night. Unfortunately, a major storm had swept through the area beforehand and knocked out the power and water to the rental house. It was late and everyone was exhausted from the drive up so we crashed in our clothes and hoped the power would come back on by morning. There was still no water or power the next morning so we took the kids and bike into Huntsville to find breakfast and get checked in. When we got home that evening, there was power and water and everyone was happy to finally get cleaned up. We woke up the next morning around 4:30. I had eggs, a blueberry muffin, a banana and coffee.
Event warmup:

Set up gear in transition. The lady next to me accidentally pumped my front tire by mistake which gave us all a good laugh. I grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the swim start. The lady who helped me zip my suit commented that it was quite loose. Perhaps its time to move down a size. Got in the lake and swam out and back a few times.
Swim
  • 48m 22s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've made vast improvements in lap times in the pool, but so far I am having difficulty translating that into an OW performance. I get paranoid about swimming off course (which I can not really afford since I am such a slow swimmer) and my form just falls to pieces.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice. There just aren't many opportunities in my area.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

There were wetsuit strippers, but I do okay peeling my own off so I just kept going up the hill to transition. I remembered to take my ear plugs out this time, which I usually forget to do until I'm on the bike.

Pack an extra GU to eat during transition.
Bike
  • 3h 32m 1s
  • 94 kms
  • 26.60 km/hr
Comments:

I spent a lot of time on the CompuTrainer biking this course so I was not surprised in the least by the number of hills. Some were steep, some were gradual. There were some crazy fast descents, some with curves. There was one steep descent with some terrifying potholes in it. I held on for dear life and I just hope everyone made it down safely. It was a challenging course, but absolutely beautiful. Good aid stations and it was nice to see the occasional spectator.

I wish I had swallowed less lake water, it gave me a cramp in my side. I had some pieces of oatmeal cookie in the bento box which helped absorb some of the liquid. With the constant climbing and descending, I wouldn't have had much use for aero bars, but they would have been nice to give my back and shoulders a break.
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

Unclipped and took my shoes off right inside transition to speed up the walk to the bike rack.

I headed towards the wrong end of transition before I realized my bike was at the other end. D'oh.
Run
  • 2h 09m 44s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 09s  min/km
Comments:

I PR'd the run which I think makes me bias upon reflection. But, I did really enjoy getting to run through downtown and the crowd support was fantastic. There were plenty of aid stations and I grabbed a cup of Pepsi and a cup of water a most of them. I definitely went out too fast, but I was just so happy to be off the bike. I averaged 5:44/km for the first 10.5 km and started to get a bit sluggish at the end. I walked just twice briefly, but picked up speed for the last km.

Maybe start out a little slower. But maybe not...getting any fast miles in while I still had the energy felt pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

I waited in line to get my photo taken then headed over to pick up some food. I don't normally eat the post-race food (my stomach just hates the idea of food immediately after a race), but not knowing when I might have the chance to eat next I thought it was a good idea.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It would have been nice to get to the venue with a little more time. I think I short run or bike ride would have helped me loosen up some.

Event comments:

This course was so beautiful. If it were closer, I would definitely do it again. The bike course was a challenge, but I know that going in. The run was fantastic, lots of energy and crowd support.

Last updated: 2017-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:22 | 1900 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/62
Overall: 767/1343
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sleeve TYR Cateogry 1
Course: Swim a rough triangle in the lake then "up" the river (no real current)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: