United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 1s
Overall Rank = 64/101
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

First time racing away from home! A 6:30am start time meant I was up at 1:30 to get breakfast in me: chocolate belvita breakfast biscuits, vanilla almond butter, banana, and nuun, then back to sleep. I woke up around 3am, made some tea, had a shower, and did a last minute gear check. Sprint racers didn't rack bikes the night before, so I needed to get the bike loaded into the car, along with the sleepy husband. Once we got the event site (transition opened at 5am) I pumped my tired, set up my space, and got body marked.
Event warmup:

Bouncing around nervously? I had half a pack of skratch chews about 30 minutes before go time. Stacey, who was racing the next day, was there to spectate, and I ran into Megan as well. Always nice to see friends before a race.
Swim
  • 29m 6s
  • 965 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

What is it with me and crapping swims this year? All started off well, as the current was taking us along at a nice clip. Once I turned around the peninsula and headed toward swim exit, I wonder if we were in a cross current or something? I felt like I was barely moving. For some reason, there were two waves: women first, then men. That meant with about two buoys to go, the speedy men started to catch up. The fastest ones were fine, and navigated around, but once the crowds of boys caught up, man it was churning up quick. It got shallow very far out, with more than one buoy to go. I tried to swim as long as I could, but kept scraping up mud with my hands. When I stood up to walk in, I sank into mud up to my knees. It was nasty, and quite the struggle to get in to the shore. I spontaneously grabbed hands with a woman next to me, and we clung to each other as we slogged our way to the swim exit. I easily lost 5+ minutes here.
What would you do differently?:

Keep swimming as long as humanly possible. I also went with my light tinted goggles since it was so dark when they closed transition. But the sun came up quickly, and I was really wishing I had my darker tint with mirrors.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Once I was clear of the mud and hit the carpet, I jogged up the hill, pulling off my goggles and cap. It isn't a huge run, but it was short either. Into the transition area, wipe off feet and face, put on bike shoes, helmet, sunglasses, and take a swig of Skratch from my bottle. As I headed toward the mount line, I felt my timing chip slipping. The mud had been pulling at it, so I stopped to adjust it.

Safety pin my timing chip. Hustle even more.
Bike
  • 58m 2s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 15.82 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a seriously boring bike. I know I complain about hills, but man....flat courses are boring. Straight out of transition you hit "the hill" which is just a bridge over the river. I think if you're from Williamsburg it is probably an actual hill, but for me, it wasn't much of anything. I spun up it, sailed back down, and settled in for a straight line down the highway until the turnaround. I was getting passed, but I told myself to just keep pushing but not too hard so I had something left for the run. At the turnaround, instead of coming back on the road, we were on the multiuse trail. It was paved, but there were a lot of acorn, pinecones, etc, that made the going a little slower. I was still getting passed, but perhaps not as much? On the final hill I passed one person and held off another that I could hear behind me! First time that's ever happened! Due to the sharp turn towards transition we couldn't pedal down the other side of the bridge. Unclipped successfully and made my way into the transition area.

Push a bit harder, especially after the turnaround. While I didn't want to burn out, I do think I could have put in a bigger effort. With the shaded courses, its not like I was feeling overheated or anything.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Swapped shoes without falling over, took another swig of skratch, then grabbed my racebelt and hat while jogging out of transition.

Just a bit more practice getting the shoes switched over.
Run
  • 36m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Mostly full sunshine, 85+ degrees, high humidity....blech. My legs felt like lead as I headed out of transition, but the cheers from my friends really gave me a boost. I told myself to run conservatively for the first mile, follow my legs for the second, and then give it a go. What actually wound up happening was convincing myself not to walk until I got to the turnaround (success there) stopping at a trashcan as I considered whether or not I needed to puke, and then heading back at a slightly quicker trot. I was in the last mile and trying to speed up, and then there was a slight downhill, and I milked it for all it was worth. Then I asked a spectator for a high five, and was rewarded with lots of nice cheering from her, which buoyed me along until the final turn/last .1 mile. I kicked it hard, picked my way down a ridiculous grassy slope (are they trying to kill us?) then ran it in hard down the finisher chute. I heard the announcer say my name, and it was pretty awesome!

I could have dropped the pace sooner, and dropped the hammer for the last half mile at least. At that point, everything is hurting no matter what, might as well hurt and be going faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I was handed an ice cold water and gatorade, which I immediately held up to my face. So nice and cool! I drank a bit of water, and poured a decent amount down my back and over my head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training has been so spotty this season. I just haven't been hitting all the workouts with the consistency I had last year. Still, I felt stronger on the bike, which set me up for a better run, and I certainly had more in the tank.

Last updated: 2017-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:06 | 965 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 14/101
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to point around the tip of the peninsula. With the current for the first half.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:02 | 15.3 miles | 15.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/14
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back, almost entirely flat with one bridge.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:30 | 03.1 miles | 11m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2017-07-12 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint

2017-07-17 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5224182

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint

Ha, yes on the boring bike and the 'hill'!  I did the Olympic at this race last year and thought the same thing!  Congrats on passing and holding people off on 'thie hill', that's great .  The mud on the swim sounds awful, thank heavens you and another racer were able to help each other out.  Nice work out there, the heat is a real doozie.

2017-08-02 2:09 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint
We were there this year! I did the half AB and OMG that water was gross! The pics I saw from the sprint were even worse with people exiting with mud on their faces :/ I actually tripped getting out of the water. The guy behind me picked me up (thanks kind stranger).

And the HEAT!! OMG THE HEAT!! LOL

Great job - wish I'd known you were there! Next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Williamsburg - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Williamsburg - Olympic

Started by nrpoulin
Views: 998 Posts: 1

2017-07-11 9:05 PM nrpoulin

Rev3 Williamsburg - Half Course

Started by cchs93
Views: 1049 Posts: 1

2017-07-10 10:06 AM cchs93