General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-14 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?
Just curious if anyone has had experience using this product or similar, particularly in a longer tri event. I've had two races significantly impacted by cramping, mainly in the latter stages (last 4 miles) of a HIM run, less significant cramping in a couple of others. I've worked with my coach to eliminate various potential causes (sodium, hydration, pacing, etc.) but can't quite get to the bottom of what causes it. Basically--

*Cramping is on both sides, whatever muscle is at the front of my calves (anterior tibialis??)
*Sudden onset, usually just after a steep or long hill late in the run course, does not resolve with stretching, walking, etc., only with finishing (and sometimes not even then)
*Has only happened in (relatively) cool conditions in my races in the US, not while training or racing in the tropics (so guessing this is NOT hydration or electrolyte related)
*Only at HIM distance on hilly bike/run courses

Quite possibly a bike/run fitness or biomechanics issue, but curious if anyone has had positive/negative experiences with Hotshots. My coach claims it is a placebo with no evidence to back it up; curious about other athletes' experiences, though. I have a sample of it but not sure what to do with it!

2017-07-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?
Cramping is more often than not putting a little too much stress on your body. I would dial it back first to avoid the cramps. Regardless I have heard good things about pickle juice shots and it has been around since around 2000, well before hot shot. It is also about 25% the price of hot shot

Pickle Juice Shots => http://amzn.to/2ulc5XP
2017-07-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: #5224346

New user
I second the pickle juice. Thomas, do you think cramping is as prevalent with
pros as with age groupers?
2017-07-15 4:51 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm using HotShot preemptively before most bike training when I'm in the hills and/or it's hot. I haven't needed it in a race but I carry with me.

It seems effective if I swig half a bottle before the ride starts(much less likely to cramp) BUT no help clearing up cramps once they start. I've had on/off cramping problems for some time; no consistency to the stimuli - hot/cool, sunny/overcast, hills/flat. It's the sort of problem you'll try anything to hold off and I have tried all the same solutions the OP mentioned. Again, it's a frustrating problem.

The guy who created HotShot has an impressive academic CV but I don't understand much about the science he's hawking. On the basis of some encouraging but not totally reliable results, my n=1 is give it a try. The stuff isn't cheap but so worth it if it works..
2017-07-15 7:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is my thought--in all cases I have been pushing a hilly bike course quite aggressively but within the range of power I had targeted and can hold for a flatter course in training or racing. The bike isn't my strongest leg, so I have been trying to make up time and AG placing on the run. I think it's probably a muscle fatigue issue; maybe also related to the fact that over 90% of my bike training is on the trainer and I have almost no access to hills for run or bike for over ten months a year. I know in theory that a watt is a watt, but it still seems like there's something different about the muscle demands of a biking and running a hilly course that probably trigger these cramps.

Willing to try Hot Shots if it would work--my concern is that at the place where the cramps hit (after 9 miles of a HIM run), the GI effects of a bunch of chili juice might outweigh any possible improvement it might effect on my legs! The cramping has never really happened in training so not sure why I would use it then, other than maybe to try it to make sure it doesn't make me puke! Maybe pickle juice would be safer--I like pickles and it probably would go down well. Maybe will give the Pickle Juice shots a try.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-07-15 7:58 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hamstring cramp AFTER swim with wetsuit

Started by Trilogy
Views: 1176 Posts: 8

2017-03-21 8:15 PM Trilogy

What happens when you get cramps?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1076 Posts: 9

2016-10-02 7:01 PM Nick B

Just another anti-cyclist driver Pages: 1 2

Started by TriTampa2
Views: 2243 Posts: 32