General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clothing Questions for Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-19 3:15 PM

Subject: Clothing Questions for Olympic Distance
Hi there --

For context, I did 5 Olympic triathlons in my youth about 10 years ago and for those I just wore whatever clothes I had handy. I'm trying to get back into tris now, 10 years older and slower but perhaps a small bit more wise. I have two Olympic tris coming up and am about to buy 2XU vented shorts and Zoot Tri Mesh top. But I want to make sure that it's worth it for a slow guy like me...

Shorts -- Is the pad (for men) on tri shorts really worth it? For only a 25 mile ride, sure I may be a bit sore the next day, but with the pad you have to worry about it being waterlogged post-swim and also any rubbing during the run. Should I consider just regular spandex?

Top -- I have always swum and trained with no shirt nor wetsuit. I like the tri top for the bike+run. From another thread on this site, it seems that the pro of wearing it for the swim is that I save on the transition. But for a slow guy like me, that doesn't seem to be that big of a factor? And for the bike+run, the S is a bit small and the M is a bit big...I assume I should do the Small?

Of course it seems that everyone wears the padded shorts and the tri tops, so I'm guessing the answer is that I should wear both :) -- but I figured I'd ask for the collective wisdom here to make sure. :)

Thanks!

2017-07-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: Mike1414

User image

Subject: RE: Clothing Questions for Olympic Distance
While I have not yet completed an Olympic distance tri, I have done a few sprints, and I have always worn my tri kit (tri short + mesh top). It's designed to be worn throughout the whole race. There is a pad in the shorts, but it's significantly less than what you find in regular cycling shorts. I've done long runs (10 miles + ) in my tri kit with no issues at all; same with a handful of 20 mile + rides on my bike).

The key for me is that I also train in my kit periodically, so as to get used to it before race day.
2017-07-19 3:46 PM

Padded tri shorts don't get waterlogged...and they won't feel like a diaper off the bike. You hardly notice them, really.

I actually like riding in them for any ride...not just a race....because the pad isn't as "wide"...as in wide in between the inner thighs....like most cycling shorts are. Well worth it in terms of swim/bike/run in them.

Top? If it's tight, you won't really notice it in the swim. It should be tight. Like tights tight. Or tighter? It won't drag.

I raced year one with nothing but a swim suit. At least they were jammers type...not trunks. I'd put on t-shirts out of the water. Generally still, even my old fat guy t-shirts that were like a sail on the bike. But, being that I was on a hybrid...meh.

Year 2 on a road bike, I went with tri-shorts only for the swim and one of my now growing collection of technical t-shirts that fit a little better.

Just beware.....most of these clothings don't do well in repeated dunkings in chlorine.
And, most are hand wash. Yay...fun times in the sink. Just what you want to do when you get home from a race in a murky lake.

2017-07-19 5:09 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

I raced year one with nothing but a swim suit. At least they were jammers type...not trunks.

Did my first race like that last summer, no problem. Changed saddles over the winter. Did a training ride in the same jammers this summer and got the mother of all chafing sores on my crotch from the the liner hem. Never again. It's linerless bike shorts or tri shorts from now on. Tri short padding has never been a bother in any way, dry or wet; swim, bike, or run.
2017-07-20 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy a Desoto Liftfoil suit and be done with it.

2017-07-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've used tri shorts and a tri top, though have always wanted to give a 1-piece tri suit a go.

2017-07-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by nc452010 If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy a Desoto Liftfoil suit and be done with it.
Ditto, get a trisuit and have a good race without having to worry about what you are wearing.  

If you are truly a small then check out this Desoto deal on TriSports.  I didn't go by the height and weight for the Desoto sizing, I used the waist and chest and when I raced at 5'10" 175-180lbs wore the large size.

2017-07-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've used tri shorts and a tri top, though have always wanted to give a 1-piece tri suit a go.

I was thinking the same thing. You can get some really good buys on a one-piece.....mmmmmmm
2017-07-20 10:02 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by FurnaceM3

I was thinking the same thing. You can get some really good buys on a one-piece.....mmmmmmm

I've raced in both and feel the 1 piece is much more comfortable. However it makes pit stops at the HIM and IM distance a little more challenging.

If you have a very long or short torso the 1 piece suits may not fit you well.
2017-07-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I have two Desoto one-piece (3, counting the liftfoil)....and one Champion Systems kit

These are what I race in, so I train in them, also. If I'm going out for more than a 30 mi. ride, I train in what I race in. I did a brick in a two piece (sleeveless) kit a while back - and the seam under my arm rubbed a raw spot on the underside of my arm (while running). Lesson learned. Train in what you race in (the kits I race in are all sleeved......sans the liftfoil, which I use in shorter races).
2017-07-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Here's my experience so far....albeit limited.
I can tell you the short version of my quest....I went through a myriad of things looking for a sleeved top and a new pair of shorts.

In the end, I went with a 1 piece. That wasn't the original plan. But, I've done a long OWS in it (2.5 mile gut check swim) followed by an 11 mile run on a warm morning. Next day, I did 55 miles on the bike and 15 minute run.

While there's a caveat or two with the model I wound up with, I love it. And am strongly considering it for longer distances...despite the issue of pit stops. This model does have an easy access "front hatch", if you will....which actually opens quite a bit of potential doors....literally and figuratively. For other situations that require sitting down, it will be a bit of a production. However, at my age, with my medications....that can always be a bit of a production and requires some extra forethought regardless of apparel. Without getting into explicit detail, my bento box looks a little different than most people's. An extra 2 minutes isn't gonna make a difference for me over the course of a day.

For me, being long torsoed and carrying some extra leftover skin (eh....who am I kidding, there's still some belly fat there) in my belly area from my fat days....finding a top long enough so I'm not riding around with permanent plumber's butt....it's hard to do. The shorts have to ride pretty low by nature. Add in that I'm not built like the people they make these clothes for.....the one piece gives me a great degree of confidence that I'm not flashing crack at anyone behind me. And, I'm not showing off my baby bump or having to constantly tug down the front of my tank.

Also, it's of a higher quality than what I've been wearing......so it could be just that.

Then again, I bought one of the cheaper sleeved tops I could find (dhb I think is the brand)....and I love that too. I could just never find the "shorts" that felt like a home run to me.

2017-07-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Originally posted by jhaack39

For other situations that require sitting down, it will be a bit of a production.

Yeah - welcome to the sisterhood of "we always have to sit down." It ain't no biggie.

I love my trisuit - zip it on and then you don't need to worry more about that. I'd just ensure you get a quality brand and one that has a zipper down the front.
2017-07-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5224657

User image

I'm 5'10 and typically race around 190. I'm a little bit broader in the shoulders and wear a large de soto bottom with extra large top. I tried one piece (large) but chaffed all over the chest and armpits. With a two piece if I swim in the top I am a minute slower over a mile. It fits good in shoulders but loose on belly. I looked for some full zip short sleeve tops for sun protection and quick on in T1, but had trouble finding one I liked. This year I'm using de soto bottom with small pad, and huub DS sleeved top (3/4 zip). Only took 20 sec in T1. I get a little chaff but have the same problem with HM.

I also bike in my tri shorts, rarely swim in them and run in them once a week. Don't see the logic of bike specific shorts unless you are gonna go over 112 miles.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clothing Questions for Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CMPRSS Tri clothing.

Started by TriR
Views: 1116 Posts: 2

2017-07-14 6:12 PM Oysterboy

Changing clothes?

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 3770 Posts: 5

2017-06-30 9:32 AM Sleepyluke

Distance per stroke

Started by Burchib
Views: 2417 Posts: 13

2016-07-26 7:21 AM marcag

Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance

Started by MikaelEriksson
Views: 2025 Posts: 13

2016-07-28 4:54 PM csaf31

Cold weather running clothes for men?

Started by stevemorey
Views: 4800 Posts: 16

2017-06-13 4:37 AM Hodalp46
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Subscribe to your favorite forums and threads!