General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rock climbing and running/tri training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-20 3:28 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Rock climbing and running/tri training
My friends got me into rock climbing and I really, really like it. I liked it to the point it scares me, because I really don't have the time for another sport or hobby. If I add new adventure, then I know my training will sacrifice, or my school, or kids, or sanity (for those who don't remember me, I'm single mother, working full time and studying, training for triathlons and marathon, who also have other hobbies and social life). But I do enjoy it, so I thought maybe I could at least give it a try couple of times a month. With that being said, I was wondering, what are the benefits of rock climbing for runners and/or triathletes?

I can imagine the mental battle, flexibility, and using all the muscles. Is there anyone here who does rock climbing and could share their stories on how it affects the training and overall well-being?

Thanks!

2017-07-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Rock climbing and running/tri training

Don't you just hate friends like that???  

I've done a little rock climbing (my avatar is me rappelling) and a lot of triathlon training (just not much recently...)  

Rock climbing is good for core strength, upper body strength, flexibility, and balance, all of which are good for triathlon sports too.  

It all comes down to priorities...you can dabble in rock climbing while dabbling in triathlon, school, and other social activities.  If your goal is to be top-notch, dabbling doesn't cut it and you'll need to choose which is most important AND LET THE REST GO.  I absolutely HATED training for my first marathon (which came after my first Ironman) because it was run-run-run-run-bike or swim-run not swim-bike-run-swim-bike-run.  

IMO, you're never "wasting time" doing something you enjoy.  

2017-07-21 8:47 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

It'll keep you sane I suppose. I can't believe you're a single mom who's working full time, studying AND has time for all these hobbies! You could think of it as extra strength training. Instead of doing squats you're climbing your way up a cliff. I do more canyoneering than climbing these days. In a week I'm taking a long weekend in Utah to do a marathon and afterwards a few days of rappelling down canyons all over the state. As a result It feels like a more well rounded trip for me than just doing the race and having a slightly faster time. Think about what you want out of life. I'd rather try a whole lot of things that make me happy than put all my eggs in one basket.

2017-07-21 10:42 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

DC

Dropping some mad science! Man, I'm 40, two-time ironman finisher, and just started fishing. Zero help on my tri training but it's a damn blast!
2017-07-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Porfirio

Dropping some mad science! Man, I'm 40, two-time ironman finisher, and just started fishing. Zero help on my tri training but it's a damn blast!

haha I love it!!
2017-07-21 10:48 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by McFuzz

Don't you just hate friends like that???  

I've done a little rock climbing (my avatar is me rappelling) and a lot of triathlon training (just not much recently...)  

Rock climbing is good for core strength, upper body strength, flexibility, and balance, all of which are good for triathlon sports too.  

It all comes down to priorities...you can dabble in rock climbing while dabbling in triathlon, school, and other social activities.  If your goal is to be top-notch, dabbling doesn't cut it and you'll need to choose which is most important AND LET THE REST GO.  I absolutely HATED training for my first marathon (which came after my first Ironman) because it was run-run-run-run-bike or swim-run not swim-bike-run-swim-bike-run.  

To be honest... I was truly hoping YOU would respond to my post (given your profile pic)

Thanks for your comment, it makes a lot of sense. I would do indoor climbing during an evening, which is a time when I cannot train anyway. Or outdoor, when we go hiking, so no training-specific days.

I am also thinking this could be something I can do with my kids (so far they like it), and it could be our "family thing." Except hiking and camping, we don't do any sports together (my daughter is into gymnastics, and my son into science and video games), so this would serve as a great way to spend some time together and have some "fun with benefits."

2017-07-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by trijamie

It'll keep you sane I suppose. I can't believe you're a single mom who's working full time, studying AND has time for all these hobbies! You could think of it as extra strength training. Instead of doing squats you're climbing your way up a cliff. I do more canyoneering than climbing these days. In a week I'm taking a long weekend in Utah to do a marathon and afterwards a few days of rappelling down canyons all over the state. As a result It feels like a more well rounded trip for me than just doing the race and having a slightly faster time. Think about what you want out of life. I'd rather try a whole lot of things that make me happy than put all my eggs in one basket.

Thank you! This is quite inspiring. After I posted this thread I read couple of articles/comments where people said you gotta do one thing or another, because otherwise you won't achieve anything in any of disciplines. You're right, it's mostly about what I want from life, and I do want to try and enjoy different things.

I'm so jealous of your Utah trip and race! Have fun, I hope you enjoy it.
2017-07-21 11:18 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83  I read couple of articles/comments where people said you gotta do one thing or another, because otherwise you won't achieve anything in any of disciplines.

Meh. To each their own. When I'm on my death bed, I promise you I will not be thinking back at what my Ironman times were. I guarantee you I won't even remember what they were. MAYBE if I was a pro athlete who had a shot at winning and blew it because I decided to play golf instead. Nah I'll be laying there saying "I'm so glad I experienced so many different things that made me happy." Who knows, you may become a world class rock climber!

2017-07-21 6:35 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Theres a Suzanne Atkinson here on BT. She teaches mountain climbing and is also a Total Immersion master swim coach. Forgot her name here.
2017-07-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by MuscleMomma Theres a Suzanne Atkinson here on BT. She teaches mountain climbing and is also a Total Immersion master swim coach. Forgot her name here.

AdventureBear!

2017-07-24 11:42 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you, guys!!

Well, if for nothing else, THIS is a great reason we want to do it - we have a family sport we can enjoy together!
My son, who claimed he was afraid of heights made it up to the top. My daughter fell in love with bouldering. They keep asking when we're going again

(20170721_205716.jpg)

(20170721_203657.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20170721_205716.jpg (68KB - 5 downloads)
20170721_203657.jpg (40KB - 8 downloads)

2017-07-25 11:38 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by marysia83

Thank you, guys!!

Well, if for nothing else, THIS is a great reason we want to do it - we have a family sport we can enjoy together!
My son, who claimed he was afraid of heights made it up to the top. My daughter fell in love with bouldering. They keep asking when we're going again

Excellent logic!
2017-07-26 9:08 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
get back to us on if you do both and how that works out for you
2017-07-26 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you, guys!! Well, if for nothing else, THIS is a great reason we want to do it - we have a family sport we can enjoy together! My son, who claimed he was afraid of heights made it up to the top. My daughter fell in love with bouldering. They keep asking when we're going again

Very cool!!  One of my twins has also fallen in love with bouldering.....or maybe just guys who rock climb, the jury is still out on that one.  She's at her gym 3-5 times a week and has all of us up there with her as guests......definitely a good family time even now that they are teenagers....and that's not an easy thing to find.

(boulder.png)

Attachments
----------------
boulder.png (344KB - 7 downloads)
2017-07-26 1:25 PM

User image

I have this rockwall 1 mile from my house. It has a few auto belay stations on it so it makes for a good destination for light recovery runs.

http://indoorwalls.com/listings/Scioto-Audubon-Metro-Park-Climbing-...
2017-07-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by aalbury I have this rockwall 1 mile from my house. It has a few auto belay stations on it so it makes for a good destination for light recovery runs. http://indoorwalls.com/listings/Scioto-Audubon-Metro-Park-Climbing-...

That's awesome!

2017-07-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Pro

Originally posted by aalbury I have this rockwall 1 mile from my house. It has a few auto belay stations on it so it makes for a good destination for light recovery runs. http://indoorwalls.com/listings/Scioto-Audubon-Metro-Park-Climbing-...

That's very cool......how do they deal with liability/safety? 

2017-07-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5224722

User image

It's really just an honor system. People are supposed to sign a waiver to climb, but I have never been asked whether I have or even my name.
2017-07-28 11:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by aalbury It's really just an honor system. People are supposed to sign a waiver to climb, but I have never been asked whether I have or even my name.

Wow.....how do they keep young, full of pizz and vinegar, kids off of it?  I could see some serious injuries coming from falling from those heights. (no, I'm not a helicopter parent, which is what concerns me......I could see my crew betting each other who could get to the top the fastest, and we don't own ropes)

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-28 11:40 PM
2017-08-01 10:59 AM

User image

This is great! My desk currently has a copy of the Triathlete's Training Bible and Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills, so I totally get where you're coming from. I love (perhaps "love" is not a strong enough word) both rock climbing and triathlon.

In terms of how rock climbing affects my tri workouts:
I don't find that it does physically. It might just be me, but the only parts of my body that are sore after rock climbing are my hands and forearms. Of course, soreness is not necessarily a requirement for fatigue. Nevertheless, I never really find that my tri workouts suffer as a result of my rock climbing.

In terms of how tri training affects my rock climbing:
This is an entirely different game that may depend on the length of your triathlons. I'm training for an IM in October and I am nearly perpetually tired. Being tired all the time really seems to affect me mentally (I'm kinda in a haze and seem to forget the simplest things). Being checked out mentally during rock climbing can be, to put it mildly, hazardous to your health. Because you are just starting rock climbing, I'm going to assume you are either limiting yourself to top rope or bouldering. If you're climbing top rope indoors and you're rocking a Figure 8, there is nearly no chance of getting hurt. Bouldering might be a different story, but only slightly (I can see how a little fatigue can result in taking an improper fall and busting an ankle). In either case, you're not going to die. If you're climbing outdoors, you need to have your A game when setting up your anchors. If this is your route, take an experienced friend and make sure everything is double checked.
If you're lead/sport climbing or trad climbing (I know you're a beginner, but this may be in your future), you definitely need to have your s**t together. I would not recommend doing this in any compromised state of mind (For all the rock climbers on the BT forum: I also enjoy a nice doob on the cliffs, but I wait until I've reached the top before partaking).

Moving away for the climbing vs. tri thing for a second: It already sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. Tri training is absurdly time consuming (again depending on your tri distances) and it is a solo endeavor. With rock climbing, however, you can take your kids along and spend time with them while doing something you enjoy. I would say this is a win-win situation. Maybe it would be best to stick to climbing until the kids are a little more independent.

Anyway, those are my two cents and I hope they helped.
2017-08-01 2:00 PM
in reply to: PhilaGaryl

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by PhilaGaryl

This is great! My desk currently has a copy of the Triathlete's Training Bible and Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills, so I totally get where you're coming from. I love (perhaps "love" is not a strong enough word) both rock climbing and triathlon.

In terms of how rock climbing affects my tri workouts:
I don't find that it does physically. It might just be me, but the only parts of my body that are sore after rock climbing are my hands and forearms. Of course, soreness is not necessarily a requirement for fatigue. Nevertheless, I never really find that my tri workouts suffer as a result of my rock climbing.

In terms of how tri training affects my rock climbing:
This is an entirely different game that may depend on the length of your triathlons. I'm training for an IM in October and I am nearly perpetually tired. Being tired all the time really seems to affect me mentally (I'm kinda in a haze and seem to forget the simplest things). Being checked out mentally during rock climbing can be, to put it mildly, hazardous to your health. Because you are just starting rock climbing, I'm going to assume you are either limiting yourself to top rope or bouldering. If you're climbing top rope indoors and you're rocking a Figure 8, there is nearly no chance of getting hurt. Bouldering might be a different story, but only slightly (I can see how a little fatigue can result in taking an improper fall and busting an ankle). In either case, you're not going to die. If you're climbing outdoors, you need to have your A game when setting up your anchors. If this is your route, take an experienced friend and make sure everything is double checked.
If you're lead/sport climbing or trad climbing (I know you're a beginner, but this may be in your future), you definitely need to have your s**t together. I would not recommend doing this in any compromised state of mind (For all the rock climbers on the BT forum: I also enjoy a nice doob on the cliffs, but I wait until I've reached the top before partaking).

Moving away for the climbing vs. tri thing for a second: It already sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. Tri training is absurdly time consuming (again depending on your tri distances) and it is a solo endeavor. With rock climbing, however, you can take your kids along and spend time with them while doing something you enjoy. I would say this is a win-win situation. Maybe it would be best to stick to climbing until the kids are a little more independent.

Anyway, those are my two cents and I hope they helped.

This helped a lot! Thanks so much.

Yes, I am a beginner, mostly doing indoors, but already experienced outdoors (with very experienced friends) and I absolutely love it. I think the way it helps me with triathlon and running training, is the concentration and the mental aspect. So many times I thought I was unable to finish a climb, but then tried to concentrate, focus, look around, think about different routes/ideas, and here I come, and here I am at the top. So many times during the race I get to the "I don't think I can do it" part, and I see how the ...climbing mind exercise... could help.

It does, however, affect my training. I thought it would work out time-wise, since I train in the morning or lunch time, and climb in the evening. Yes, perfect scenario. Except my muscles get really tired the following day and I am able to swim only half of the distance I normally should. Right now I am trying to evaluate my situation, I know it's been early for me with the rock climbing, so I may gain the endurance and strength, and all other things, but I also need to focus on the race I have in few weeks (Oly distance). I am being positive/optimistic, but I just need to draft a plan.

Speaking of family thing, definitely yes. Both my kids love it. My daughter (who's been in gymnastics for two years now) is absolutely crazy about rock climbing right now... She and i are the last one leaving the gym (at 11 pm...) and Zosia would actually stay even longer, if she could. My friends are joking she should just have a tent at the top of the wall and just live there... So here's my plan for 2024 Olympics

Back to your point on pushing some triathlons plans further, this is another thing that rock climbing brought to me. Maybe not just the sport, but people who do it (I am right now reading books by Tommy Caldwell, Alex Honnold, and Lynn Hill). Very inspirational, and made me realize I do not have to hurry with all my crazy triathlon goals... I do not need to complete IM before a certain date - if I complete it few years later, the disaster won't happen. I do have time.

I will definitely need to find a balance between family activities and my mental challenge with rock climbing, and the triathlon/running training, considering the priorities. I keep forgetting that school starts next month haha but I'll think about that beast in September

Thanks again for your feedback!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rock climbing and running/tri training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is this good Swim-Bike-Run training?

Started by Joel0000
Views: 1212 Posts: 5

2016-12-09 2:08 PM Lupy

Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by nc452010
Views: 3052 Posts: 52

2016-10-10 11:33 AM miamiamy

Rev3 Florida / Tri-Rock Clearwater

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 750 Posts: 3