General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race tomorrow, can't calm down Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-21 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: race tomorrow, can't calm down
It's not my first tri, though it's been two years. It's just a sprint. My training has been good, not what I would have wanted, but slow and steady to avoid arthritis pain etc.
Just feel sick. Practiced getting wetsuit on and off, did checklist and everything is packed and ready to go. Hilly bike course but I rode it two weeks ago, with a group got through it, but they stopped and waited at the top of the big hills, so I got some rest. Won't have that tomorrow.

This is not fun. Doesn't help that family is insisting on coming to cheer me on, two teenagers and hubby. I've tried to tell them not to but I've gone to their stuff for years so they insist. It's probably nice that they will see me, I just don't want to be embarrassed. I know I'm not supposed to care but I do.

Just while typing this I'm sick but now I'm hungry. Need to sleep.

Mitzi

2017-07-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5224798

Subject: RE: race tomorrow, can't calm down
Trust your training.
2017-07-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am in the same boat tonight. Not sure it's any comfort, but I have been in endurance sports one way or another for almost 38 years (yes, I started young) and it's still the same deal with nerves every time. It's a race I've dome three times before but still....every time is different. It's my hometown Oly (well, almost, the next town down the road--our town doesn't have any tri's) and my parents are moving out of state in September. I'm going back to Vietnam on Tuesday. Most likely will not do this beautiful race again for the foreseeable future. It's a combo of pre-race nerves and being depressed about having to leave Oregon, which I've called home for 30 years. Training has gone well but having some nagging injury issues--neuroma, kind of similar to arthritis--I can run but it hurts--and the run is going to be tough going at best.

Having some cookies and milk now and hoping that helps me sleep. Best of luck tomorrow! It will be more fun once it starts (and finishes)!
2017-07-21 9:38 PM

You'll have a blast - guarantee it - even if it's a tough course and hot day. Let us know how it goes! 

I'm jealous as well - my family refuses to wake up at the godforsaken hour required to get a good spot in transition (or to just avoid getting stuck in the packet pickup line when the race is starting) so I do all my races solo. It would be a real highlight to have my family at the finish line (trust me, I've tried!)

2017-07-22 1:15 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Just enjoy the day. Pre race nerves are only natural after a 2 year break. Your family will be proud of you just for doing this and although nobody will wait for you at tje top of big hills, just follow the other racers and they'll take you there.
Have fun!
2017-07-22 2:53 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Pro

Mitzi - You'll be a triathlete again......enjoy your day!

2017-07-22 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Relax, do some mediation, some light yoga or stretching to put your mind at ease. You will do great.
2017-07-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: Blueknight87

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
If you DIDN'T get nerves....I'd be worried.

You'll be fine. Adrenaline will kick in and the race will come together.

Go out easy on your swim and build into your day. Most of all......have fun.

Good luck.
2017-07-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Bronze member

I get grouchy and anxious before races. Taking time to sit and picture everything in the race going right helps. Also thinking of it as my Mom time away helps me gain a different perspective.  Some ladies shop, some get their nails done, I swim/bike/run. When I'm racing I'm NOT doing laundry or cooking or making beds . It's an escape, you've trained now the race is a celebration of all the hard work! Hope you have a great experience!

2017-07-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you all!

Hot Runner - hope your race was great.

I did better than expected. Still slooow in water, but sighted well, last wave but not last out of lake and didn't feel tired.
Not seeing who was behind me, but only one person in front of me I assumed I was the last in the lake again and spent the swim berating myself for having bought a new bike and wondering how much I could get back by selling it.

Bike was brutal, people dismounting and walking. I might have if I could get moving again on the uphill - last time I fell it was trying do that. Let myself go fast on the downhills, only applying brake when I hit 33mph or bike started shaking.

Not mentally prepared for run. Loop advertised as pancake flat which it was not. Lots of walking and grumbling. Legs pretty fried from bike, and even though it was only a sprint, I walked some too.

Finished strong with family cheering! A small number of really slow people heading out on run as I was finishing - never had that experience.

Came in 86th percentile. I had actually said I'd be happy just to beat 15% of people. Of course now that I did I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it closer to the front of the BOP. Did podium in my age group though, 55-59. Came in 3/5. Would have found a way to make little of that, but family made such a fuss I started to feel good about it.

I've spent so many years sitting in a cold car, five days a week waiting for someone at football or cheer practice, or other activity. My son tells me he feels guilty about that. Actually until he said that I had forgotten that it was so often, just something I had the time to do. It is wonderful pay back to see how happy they are for me and that they are actually proud of me.
Now need to be prouder of myself.

Starting to think about how to train better for next sprint in Sept...

Mitzi
2017-07-23 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats, Mitzi! I'm glad your family was able to be there and cheer you on, and that you did a performance worthy of your training and dedication.

No shame in walking up the hill--I actually had to get off and walk partway up a hill at 70.3 Worlds last year, and I was far from the only one! (Either bike or me or quite possibly both did not have the gears for an 18% grade. What were they thinking?!)

My race went pretty well. I won my AG for the first time ever at that race (I have been second three times in a row!) and had my best time by about 4 minutes. The swim and bike went really well, the run was pretty tough but not for the reason I expected--my aerobottle ejected early in the bike leg so I did not have water to wash down my two gus, just sports drink. My gut didn't take well to that combo so I was feeling a bit queasy for about the first half of the run.

I have thought many times about quitting the sport, at least not pursuing "training" or "racing" and maybe just doing it for fitness. It wouldn't be for a lack of passion for the sport, but out of guilt, feeling that it's silly and selfish to spend that much time, money, and effort on something that's not related to family or career. But then I think, it's one of the few things I have in my life (and have had since childhood) that's really mine--I'm not doing it because I have to, or because I should, but because I want to. I think a lot of athletes, and especially women (and especially women who are moms and/or in one of the "helping professions") struggle with taking the time for themselves to do what they love. It takes courage to do that. Keep up the good work!

2017-07-23 7:58 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Congrats Mitzi. Sounds like you've raised a great family. You went out there, did it, finished, and had some great people cheering you on. Sounds like a great day

2017-07-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I try to remember that when they do stupid teen-age stuff.
2017-07-24 8:23 AM

Congrats Mitzi! I'm so happy to hear the race went well and there's really something special about having the family there to cheer

2017-07-25 2:21 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well Done Mitzi. You should be as proud of yourself as your family is of you.

I have a mum who much like you spent our childhood driving the 4 of us between sporting events - she got up at 5am 5 days a week to drive my brother and I to the pool for swimming training. I owe her for making me the person that I am today. I'm sure that your kids feel the same way about you.

This year my mum turned 61 earlier this month we ran our first marathon. Yes we were slow but you know what that doesn't matter. I am so very very proud of her because at an age when most people are telling her to slow down and take it easy she, like you, is taking up new challenges and teaching me and others about perseverance and overcoming obstacles.

You deserve your new bike and now you should work out your plan to do this race again next year and conquer those hills.
2017-07-25 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

I think you just found out what the rest of us knew about you.

You're doing your homework.
If you do your homework, you will succeed.

Edit.
Let me rephrase that.

You re-remembered what the rest of knew about you.

Re-Edit.
Let me rephrase again...

You re-embraced what you already knew (and hadn't forgotten, just allowed a little doubt to cloud your thoughts) the rest of us were sure of...
And also, were basing your expectations on what you "were", not where you "are" after doing all that homework.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-07-25 9:40 AM

2017-07-25 9:33 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you, I feel sincerely touched.

Now 5 weeks to crushing another sprint!

Mitzi
2017-11-15 11:24 AM

Trust your training
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race tomorrow, can't calm down Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

staying calm in open water

Started by marnie64
Views: 2135 Posts: 15

2016-10-26 9:33 AM ponderingfox

Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by nc452010
Views: 3052 Posts: 52

2016-10-10 11:33 AM miamiamy

Can't train in the heat anymore

Started by Blastman
Views: 1801 Posts: 17

2016-09-02 7:00 PM Jeff B

Beginner or Age Group...,.can't decide

Started by TriShel
Views: 2131 Posts: 10

2016-08-17 2:31 PM nc452010

Went down pretty hard today

Started by Goggles Pizzano
Views: 992 Posts: 6

2016-08-07 3:48 PM Goggles Pizzano
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Shifting on hills can be challenging. Here's some advice.

date : July 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
What you need to do so you don't have to sit up