2017-07-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: "It's Just a Sprint"
Originally posted by hessma

Originally posted by 3mar

Now imagine if we transferred this mentality to music...someone spends a couple hours a week for 4-6 weeks learning the violin. Think about where that much time would get just about anyone....maybe ode to joy? Now imagine that same person insisting that their rendition of ode to joy is not just a recital and they are a violinist.

Does this mean nobody should ever pick up a violin? Of course not! But let's keep some perspective. In this case; it is "just" ode to joy.

Ok, I'll play along. Imagine someone who spends 4-5 hours a week practicing and playing golf. That person then plays Augusta National and shoots an 80, not great, but still a very good score. Is that person a golfer or simply someone who plays golf? Trying to find your dividing line, because it seems if you are not a professional level, you are simply a participant. If that's the case, then 99.9% of us are simply participants in life, including our careers.

Well, if you're not a professional in your career........you're doing it wrong.

2017-07-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Regular
Originally posted by nc452010

Now imagine if we transferred this mentality to music...someone spends a couple hours a week for 4-6 weeks learning the violin. Think about where that much time would get just about anyone....maybe ode to joy? Now imagine that same person insisting that their rendition of ode to joy is not just a recital and they are a violinist.

Does this mean nobody should ever pick up a violin? Of course not! But let's keep some perspective. In this case; it is "just" ode to joy.

Ok, I'll play along. Imagine someone who spends 4-5 hours a week practicing and playing golf. That person then plays Augusta National and shoots an 80, not great, but still a very good score. Is that person a golfer or simply someone who plays golf? Trying to find your dividing line, because it seems if you are not a professional level, you are simply a participant. If that's the case, then 99.9% of us are simply participants in life, including our careers.

Using 3mar's logic, I am not doing it wrong as only the people who can win are professionals. The vast majority are not CEO capable people, therefore, they are merely participants. Winners (CEO's) are the only professionals.
2017-07-31 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by 3mar Now imagine if we transferred this mentality to music...someone spends a couple hours a week for 4-6 weeks learning the violin. Think about where that much time would get just about anyone....maybe ode to joy? Now imagine that same person insisting that their rendition of ode to joy is not just a recital and they are a violinist. Does this mean nobody should ever pick up a violin? Of course not! But let's keep some perspective. In this case; it is "just" ode to joy.
Using 3mar's logic, I am not doing it wrong as only the people who can win are professionals. The vast majority are not CEO capable people, therefore, they are merely participants. Winners (CEO's) are the only professionals.

no, if you're getting paid then you're a professional.  So yeah ,the guys losing in the ITU races are triathletes...thats really your CEO, employee analogy...

2017-07-31 2:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas

Dude...not sure where you got that. I said someone who spends 4 weeks "dedicating" a couple hours to something is a participant. I'm assuming most professionals spend a bit more time at their job than that.

Over the past three years, I've spent around 1,500 hours training for triathlon. That's moving time, and doesn't include prepping for workouts, planning, learning, etc. Add that all in and it's easily 2,000+. Add in the four years I spent swimming all year in high school and you can tack on another 2,000-3,000 easy, then you can add another couple thousand for the 7 years I ran prior to going into triathlon....and I still wouldn't call myself a triathlete. It's a hobby.

Edited by 3mar 2017-07-31 2:29 PM
2017-07-31 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

If you're getting paid to do something......you're a professional (at whatever that is).

So, if you're not a professional in your career........well.....you know
2017-11-09 4:18 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Got thinking about this thread the other day.

Was telling some co-workers that I am now taking my training more seriously (afer 4 years of farting around and taking part in one sprint a year) and that now I consider myself a real triathlete (as opposed to a try-athlete)

co-worker: so you're gonna do a real triathlon now?

me: what do you mean?

co-worker: well, you know, longer, ironman

me: no, just going be real fast

2017-11-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by Rollergirl Got thinking about this thread the other day. Was telling some co-workers that I am now taking my training more seriously (afer 4 years of farting around and taking part in one sprint a year) and that now I consider myself a real triathlete (as opposed to a try-athlete) co-worker: so you're gonna do a real triathlon now? me: what do you mean? co-worker: well, you know, longer, ironman me: no, just going be real fast

Love your comeback! Hope this next season is awesome.

2017-11-14 11:38 AM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
To the beginner it's not "just" a sprint.

To the more experienced folks usually the sprint distance represents a harder effort, mainly in terms of pace.
If the more experienced folks do a sprint at their OIympic or HIM pace, maybe then they can call it "just" a sprint but that's usually not the case. Injury can result in someone doing a sprint at a slower then normal pace/effort.

In a sprint distance race I'll go our much harder on each leg than I would for an Olympic or HIM race. My swim pace will be 3-5 seconds faster per 100, my bike speed will be 1-2 mph faster and my run pace will be 10-15 seconds faster per mile.

In general people put way too much thought into what other people think of them or their abilities.
2017-11-14 5:19 PM
in reply to: reecealan

Originally posted by reecealan

my run pace will be 10-15 seconds faster per mile.

lol

My run pace differential is measured in minutes....minutes....note the plural.
2017-11-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I love sprint tris.  I love going out and smashing.  Also, my favorite races are 5Ks.  Love the short hard stuff.

LB is confused with his definitions.  If one does carpentry work, that person is a carpenter, if one does gardening, that person is (not a farmer) a gardener.  If a person does athletics, they are an athlete.  LB is confusing things because his ideas mix in the idea of a profession and people who get paid for things.  It's not the level that makes you what you are, it's what you do that makes you what you are.

I can appreciate that there are people who are faster than me.  I have friends that win all the local races.  But what they are doesn't take away from what I am.

I won a 5K once with a 22:00 5K. Haha, I'm such a great athlete! /s

2017-11-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pro

I framed a spare bedroom once......nobody is ever going to call me a carpenter. LMAO

2017-11-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Left Brain

I framed a spare bedroom once......nobody is ever going to call me a carpenter. LMAO

You're confusing profession with activity again.

2017-11-15 11:47 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pro

I do all kinds of things as activities......doesn't make me a ballplayer, or a cyclist, or a gardener, or bowler, or rock climber, or a flying trapeze artist. (ok, I've never been on a trapeze but I've been on a rope swing).

I've done dozens and dozens of triathlons.....I'm not a triathlete either.  I've just done some triathlons.

You can call yourself anything you want. I don't care.

I'm gone for a hunting trip....you all figure it out.  I've got a 4 hour drive, during which I guess I'll be a Nascar driver, after I get some gas (pit stop foreman), and something to eat (waiter).  I guess when I get there I'll unload my truck (porter), and take a nap (mexican ).

2017-11-15 1:45 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

and take a nap

*siesta
2017-11-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Si
2017-11-15 10:24 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Agree with this. I'm a technical trainer with an engineering degree that does triathlons, the occasional road race, time trial or crit and a few half marathons and 5K's.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "It's Just a Sprint" Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

4.21.17 It's Friday!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 695 Posts: 8

2017-04-21 11:25 PM simpsonbo

It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Goggles Pizzano
Views: 7162 Posts: 98

2017-03-16 6:36 AM alicefoeller