Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2017-07-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: "It's Just a Sprint"

Originally posted by Trine
Originally posted by Left Brain For the sake of your question.....and I'll tell you up front that your points are almost all good ones and well taken.  I'm not from the "everybody gets a trophy mindset".....so I ask you, is the guy or gal who shows up for a 5k and walks the distance an "athlete"?  They are finishers for sure, and I give them all the props that any other person who gets off their arse and into the game gets.....but I wouldn't call them an athlete.  I kind of have that same idea about triathlon......no matter what the distance is.  Some of the folks doing triathlon are athletes, and some aren't. 

I've played some softball in my advancing age, but I'm not a ballplayer.  I can get down a mountain, but I'm not a skier (although I've probably also left a few people teary eyed.....and doubled over in laughter).

I'm in no way being derogatory toward anyone who does a triathlon of any distance, but you asked the question so there is my answer.

Well, it isn't a 5K we're talking about here - but I certainly get your point. And I agree that not everybody should get a trophy. But, for the people I think about, it's the journey they've made. The obstacles they've overcome. To say that it isn't great unless they get in under one hour seems to belittle their efforts and huge accomplishments. I'm a bleeding-heart liberal. A rooter for the underdog. And I love seeing people conquer their fears and succeed when they thought they never could.

I don't see where anybody said it isn't great unless you get in under an hour.  What has been said is that doing a sprint in under an hour is as brutal, or more, than any other triathlon race......and it is.  But it doesn't make the folks who finish in 2 hours an athlete any more than flying in an airplane puts me on the same level as an astronaut who has been on the space shuttle.

My heart bleeds for no one.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-24 3:06 PM

2017-07-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain For the sake of your question.....and I'll tell you up front that your points are almost all good ones and well taken.  I'm not from the "everybody gets a trophy mindset".....so I ask you, is the guy or gal who shows up for a 5k and walks the distance an "athlete"?  They are finishers for sure, and I give them all the props that any other person who gets off their arse and into the game gets.....but I wouldn't call them an athlete.  I kind of have that same idea about triathlon......no matter what the distance is.  Some of the folks doing triathlon are athletes, and some aren't. 

I've played some softball in my advancing age, but I'm not a ballplayer.  I can get down a mountain, but I'm not a skier (although I've probably also left a few people teary eyed.....and doubled over in laughter).

I'm in no way being derogatory toward anyone who does a triathlon of any distance, but you asked the question so there is my answer.

Well, it isn't a 5K we're talking about here - but I certainly get your point. And I agree that not everybody should get a trophy. But, for the people I think about, it's the journey they've made. The obstacles they've overcome. To say that it isn't great unless they get in under one hour seems to belittle their efforts and huge accomplishments. I'm a bleeding-heart liberal. A rooter for the underdog. And I love seeing people conquer their fears and succeed when they thought they never could.

I don't see where anybody said it isn't great unless you get in under an hour.  What has been said is that doing a sprint in under an hour is as brutal, or more, than any other triathlon race......and it is.  But it doesn't make the folks who finish in 2 hours an athlete any more than flying in an airplane puts me on the same level as an astronaut who has been on the space shuttle.

You don't have a heart, LB.
2017-07-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marysia83

You don't have a heart, LB.

LOL  I have twin 17 year old daughters........I can't afford a heart.

2017-07-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: Trine

User image

Katy, Texas

For the sake of your question.....and I'll tell you up front that your points are almost all good ones and well taken.  I'm not from the "everybody gets a trophy mindset".....so I ask you, is the guy or gal who shows up for a 5k and walks the distance an "athlete"?  They are finishers for sure, and I give them all the props that any other person who gets off their arse and into the game gets.....but I wouldn't call them an athlete.  I kind of have that same idea about triathlon......no matter what the distance is.  Some of the folks doing triathlon are athletes, and some aren't. 

Well, it isn't a 5K we're talking about here - but I certainly get your point. And I agree that not everybody should get a trophy.

But, for the people I think about, it's the journey they've made. The obstacles they've overcome. To say that it isn't great unless they get in under one hour seems to belittle their efforts and huge accomplishments. I'm a bleeding-heart liberal. A rooter for the underdog. And I love seeing people conquer their fears and succeed when they thought they never could.

The fast folks don't just pop into existence that way. Some of them get dealt a good genetic card, but they all work A LOT. They have a journey as well, and it's a journey that has taken a lot longer than the other folks. I don't look at fast athletes as some mutant that just came into existence, I look at them as someone who took that journey you spoke about as a first step and kept on going and going and going through a heck of a lot more pain and commitment.

I'm all for the people just crossing the line, and if it's their first triathlon, that's a heck of an accomplishment. I'm also all in for those that have done triathlons for years and are happy just to cross the line...because they're happy, and they should just keep on keeping on doing what makes them happy. But when it comes to a "journey" with a couple of exceptions (because there are always n=1 exceptions) the fast folks are the ones on the longest and hardest journeys.

The times in multi loop courses or with various start times that I've been around the truly fast folks (as they've went screaming past me) they are working at such a crazy high level it is awe inspiring. They suffer like you wouldn't believe.
2017-07-24 3:28 PM

I don't want a trophy.
While I am somewhat ambivalent about medals....
One thing I can say, I don't need a string bag.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-07-24 3:30 PM
2017-07-24 4:37 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
I actually did the NJ State "Sprint" as well as my introduction to the sport(s). I whole heartedly agree with this as I found my self telling people I was doing a triathlon, and then quickly following it up with "sprint distance". Not sure why i needed to clarify, as I was completely content with using this as an learning experience.

2017-07-24 6:25 PM
in reply to: JOwenSmith

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
With all the congrats this weekend from family and friends about my tri (hubby posted pics) I felt that "it's only a sprint" thing.

Flyor64 - will this be your first tri?

I like what you said Trine, it isn't just about the 1hr finishers, but I also understand that some would not find the last ones in real athletes. Not all athletes are winners. How much effort gets you called an athlete? What results? That person coming in at 1:45 might have just taken 20 minutes off his/her time from last year. I think it is about identity, effort, progress.
2017-07-24 6:30 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pro
Originally posted by MuscleMommaWith all the congrats this weekend from family and friends about my tri (hubby posted pics) I felt that "it's only a sprint" thing.Flyor64 - will this be your first tri? I like what you said Trine, it isn't just about the 1hr finishers, but I also understand that some would not find the last ones in real athletes. Not all athletes are winners. How much effort gets you called an athlete? What results? That person coming in at 1:45 might have just taken 20 minutes off his/her time from last year. I think it is about identity, effort, progress.
I already told you what I think about your racing.....awesome!Identity, effort, progress?? No ma'am.....for an athlete it's aboit winning....period. That's the difference.
2017-07-24 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by MuscleMommaWith all the congrats this weekend from family and friends about my tri (hubby posted pics) I felt that "it's only a sprint" thing.Flyor64 - will this be your first tri? I like what you said Trine, it isn't just about the 1hr finishers, but I also understand that some would not find the last ones in real athletes. Not all athletes are winners. How much effort gets you called an athlete? What results? That person coming in at 1:45 might have just taken 20 minutes off his/her time from last year. I think it is about identity, effort, progress.
I already told you what I think about your racing.....awesome!Identity, effort, progress?? No ma'am.....for an athlete it's aboit winning....period. That's the difference.

ding ding ding

I AM a bleeding heart liberal, and if you aren't there to win you are participating.  Which is cool, like do your thing, but its a race, not a party.  I don't think the completers understand how much blood sweat and tears go into winning a race.  I don't think most people even understand the race thats going on.  The race that I won last year, there were 3 people in the race, a few more that thought they were in the race, and then a bunch of people having a fun day.

The people that say "its only a sprint" are the people completing the race.  Sprints are easy to complete, longer races are harder to complete because they take longer.  When people say that I just roll my eyes and move on because they don't know that I trained more hours for sprints than when I completed an ironman.

2017-07-24 9:47 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

One thing that is overlooked is that I truly believe that everyone has a certain distance they will do the best in. I know it's not the perfect analogy, but look at the different distances in track. And yet, the 10,000m runners don't give 400m runners slack for running so little. I actually think 400m is one of the hardest distances out there.

There are at least two triathletes I know who I'm convinced would do much better if they went to the shorter, Olympic distance rather than insisting on doing the full 226k every time.
2017-07-25 3:00 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

With all the congrats this weekend from family and friends about my tri (hubby posted pics) I felt that "it's only a sprint" thing.

Flyor64 - will this be your first tri?

I like what you said Trine, it isn't just about the 1hr finishers, but I also understand that some would not find the last ones in real athletes. Not all athletes are winners. How much effort gets you called an athlete? What results? That person coming in at 1:45 might have just taken 20 minutes off his/her time from last year. I think it is about identity, effort, progress.

It will be my second! I did an Oly just this past weekend. Was going to run the Oslo Marathon, but I was well and truly bitten by the bug, so I scrambled and bought someone's startnumber for the upcoming Oslo Triathlon instead

2017-07-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm not sure why (many) people seem to think there's some prestige in racing the longer distances than there is in racing the shorter distances.  A sub-hour sprint is not something one "just" does.....same with something like a 15 minute 5k.  Why do (some) people think this is any less of an accomplishment than an Ironman or a marathon?  I don't get it at all!

In fact, I find sprints harder to race than HIM's.....I'm the kind of person who's built to go for a long time at a slow burn, so when you ask me to redline from the very start, it hurts in a whole different way!  I have a lot of respect for people who race these short races....and also for those who train for and race the longer races.

^This. I'd much rather run a HIM than a sprint. The sprint hurts WAY more!

I do find differences in the distances, though. If you can do a HIM, you can do a sprint. The inverse is not always true. I do see a "little" of what people see who think longer is "better".....but, to me....FAST is Fast. I'm impressed by people who can do things I can't do. A fast sprint result?? Darned right I'm impressed. a 7.5 hr. HIM? Maybe (dependent upon consequences). A 4:30 HIM? Yep. Impressed.

And someone mentioned relay teams Here's the deal.....if you were part of a relay team, you swam, cycled or you ran. But, you did NOT do a triathlon.

2017-07-25 8:29 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

I have enjoyed reading through this thread! At the same time, it's making me rethink my goals for my race in 2.5 weeks! I just got back into the sport early last month after being out for 7 years, so my goal was to get the first sprint tri under my belt and go from there. I was thinking all along "just complete it" with a respectable time (1:30-1:40).

Having read through the thread, though, I can't help thinking I need to push myself and "race" it, even though I won't be anywhere near the front of the pack. I could probably set a PR, though, if I aim for 1:15...
2017-07-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Denver, Colorado

(comments.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
comments.jpg (37KB - 7 downloads)
2017-07-25 10:02 AM

User image

Pro

The funny thing about being around really fast triathletes (folks who can swim sub 5:00 for 500, run 15:00 for 5K,  put down 4.5 - 5 W/kg on the bike - stand alone times) is that it all becomes relative to them too.  Pretty soon you hear things like, "he's never gone better than 58 minutes in a sprint" or "he can barely break 2 hours in an Oly" and it becomes the same discussion we're having here but on a completely different level. 

What I think gets lost is that there is never any lack of respect for someone who does triathlon AT ANY LEVEL.....although I think there is the perception that there is.  When I, or someone else, says something like  "you can't really call yourself an athlete when you're participating in a triathlon just to finish it", I never forget that I'm that guy too or that just participating in a triathlon puts you, fitness wise, above 99% of the population.....that's a big deal.  It's a big deal to drag your arse to the pool, or get up before your family, lace up your shoes, and head out for a run.  I respect everyone who does that.  Sunday I saw a guy who probably went 275-300 lbs. finish a sprint triathlon, and it kicked his arse.  But I and everyone who saw him threw out a "way to go"....and it was sincere....that's a big deal and a potential life changer.  That accomplishment can't be diminished.

I've been around triathlon in some way or another since 1985.  I had to learn what fast really looks like, and have been a part of watching firsthand what it takes to get to the level where you can podium on a National level....forget about distance.  The pain and sacrifice that goes with that is TREMENDOUS. I know, for me, that's where I split from the idea that we're all athletes.  No, we all do triathlons.  Imagine playing softball and calling yourself a ballplayer,  or playing in the "no hit" hockey league and calling yourself a hockey player.....hell, the list is endless.  Triathlon is one of the only sports we do that people end up calling themselves "triathletes".  Nah........almost all of us are beer league softball players.....it just takes a bit more work to finish a "game" in our sport.

Enjoy the ride and don't get too wound up and high about your place in the sport.  Most of the people I have known who did that are no longer a part of triathlon.....and our sport can use all the folks we can keep around.

On a final note.  I have been to dozens of elite races as a spectator.  I am always saddened by the complete lack of support from the triathlon community in the way of attendance.  When there is a Jr. Elite, or ITU Continental Cup, or World Cup, or WTS race within driving distance of you, think about going to watch.  You will see a side of triathlon that will give you a whole new perspective on what you are really doing, and what fast really looks like in our sport.  All of us "triathletes" can use a bit of the humility that comes from seeing that, and you'll be a part of keeping the sport growing in the U.S.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-25 10:11 AM
2017-07-25 10:12 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Soooo.....winning what?

AG at a local race where there are 3 people in your AG?

AG at a local race where there are 80 people in your AG?

A competitive AG like M35-39 vs F60-64?

OA at a local race?

Podium at a national race in a competitive AG?

OA at a national race without a pro field?

Winning pro field?

Winning a pro field at a national championship race?

Winning a pro field at a world championship race?

Olympic gold?

There's lots of levels that constitute winning. Curious where the line is drawn for "athlete" status. A podium at an IM branded race in any of the M AGs from 30-45 would likely squash any local races overall winners. An overall amateur winner at a national (IM branded) race could beat a lot of the back end pros. A pro that wins a first year run IM70.3 around the time of Kona wouldn't have a shot of winning a stacked pro field like Kona or even the North American championship. Where's the line?

Come on...let's add some spice to this thread

2017-07-25 10:16 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
LB, why the heck do you have to go an give a level headed response right when I was trying to egg you on??
2017-07-25 10:27 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar LB, why the heck do you have to go an give a level headed response right when I was trying to egg you on??

You can't egg me on bro......none of this is personal to me and I've already been called every name in the book, spit on, shot at, and had all manner of stupidity directed toward me.  At this point I'm just walking around laughing.

2017-07-25 10:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar LB, why the heck do you have to go an give a level headed response right when I was trying to egg you on??

You can't egg me on bro......none of this is personal to me and I've already been called every name in the book, spit on, shot at, and had all manner of stupidity directed toward me.  At this point I'm just walking around laughing.

I'm just trying to have some fun with you LB. You've barely got under anyone's skin on this thread...there's no entertainment value there. If I can get you to say something inflammatory that someone else gets butt hurt about and things get fun.
2017-07-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

I'm just trying to have some fun with you LB. You've barely got under anyone's skin on this thread...there's no entertainment value there. If I can get you to say something inflammatory that someone else gets butt hurt about and things get fun.

I've been trying REALLY hard not to rile up the egos that go with triathlon. (as fun as that is)  And, dammit, I'm just getting old.  I need to start training again so that the person in the pool next to me can ask me if I'm training for a triathlon just so they can tell me all about their latest triathlon heroics.....that would get me pissed off again. HA!!

2017-07-25 10:40 AM

What I think gets lost is that there is never any lack of respect for someone who does triathlon AT ANY LEVEL.....although I think there is the perception that there is.  When I, or someone else, says something like  "you can't really call yourself an athlete when you're participating in a triathlon just to finish it", I never forget that I'm that guy too or that just participating in a triathlon puts you, fitness wise, above 99% of the population.....that's a big deal.  It's a big deal to drag your arse to the pool, or get up before your family, lace up your shoes, and head out for a run.  I respect everyone who does that.  Sunday I saw a guy who probably went 275-300 lbs. finish a sprint triathlon, and it kicked his arse.  But I and everyone who saw him threw out a "way to go"....and it was sincere....that's a big deal and a potential life changer.  That accomplishment can't be diminished.

You DO have a heart!

2017-07-25 10:48 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

I've been trying REALLY hard not to rile up the egos that go with triathlon. (as fun as that is)  And, dammit, I'm just getting old.  I need to start training again so that the person in the pool next to me can ask me if I'm training for a triathlon just so they can tell me all about their latest triathlon heroics.....that would get me pissed off again. HA!!

Speaking of pools and perspective...I was swimming a couple of weeks ago and this girl asked to split the lane with me. I was doing 100 repeats hitting them right around 1:06-1:08ish. She jumps in and is warming up...and just cruising (unbelievable stroke mechanics) and was maybe a couple of seconds behind me. Swimming like it's nothing while my lungs are falling out. I've had enough of those experiences to not feel "fast". I think it just comes with being in the sport a while. The difference is having fun with it and not getting butt hurt.
2017-07-25 10:57 AM

User image

Pro

Speaking of pools and perspective...I was swimming a couple of weeks ago and this girl asked to split the lane with me. I was doing 100 repeats hitting them right around 1:06-1:08ish. She jumps in and is warming up...and just cruising (unbelievable stroke mechanics) and was maybe a couple of seconds behind me. Swimming like it's nothing while my lungs are falling out. I've had enough of those experiences to not feel "fast". I think it just comes with being in the sport a while. The difference is having fun with it and not getting butt hurt.

Yeah, you know, it doesn't matter what level you get to (to answer your other question above) there is always another monster to slay.  It's been an absolute unique perspective to watch talented kids come through high school and now on to college running, swimming, and doing triathlon.  Many of them now have their elite triathlon cards and have , once again, gone from the top of the heap to the bottom.  These kids were all-state in XC, or track, or swimming, and won  Jr. Elite races and have all stood atop countless podiums on the track, in the pool, and in triathlon only to find themselves fighting for air at the next level.  The best part of it is that they have grown so well as people because of that experience.  They've learned that you're really never "the guy" for very long so you might as well get used to taking every accomplishment and accolade with a big spoon of humility........because sure as hell you're about to get your arse kicked by some girl.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-07-25 10:59 AM
2017-07-25 12:01 PM

Now, if you all will excuse me, I just found me in race photos from May and I need to go Photoshop out my winter weight belly flab peeking out from beneath my top so I can go annoy friends on Facebook with all my pictures.
2017-07-25 2:05 PM

User image

This thread has been an interesting read. I'm a beginner triathlete or in some in opinions triathlon participant. I have had several conversations with co-workers at lunch about why I'm pushing so hard for this right now. I'm 33, former college football player and men's level rugby player (US teams not nearly as competitive as international). However, being an athlete requires competing. The group of people you are competing with doesn't distract from being an athlete. The competition in Div 1 college football was way more than men's club rugby. However, the commonality was I was always trying to be better than my competition. The draw about triathlon's is that the competition can be yourself. Beating your previous time or previous distance still makes you better than your competition. So the simple answer is TRAIN TO WIN. Train to be better, get faster or go farther. Or train to win your group or podium. As long as you are competing then you are an athlete improving your proficiency in an physical activity.

-You must first find your limits before you can exceed
them
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "It's Just a Sprint" Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

4.21.17 It's Friday!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 699 Posts: 8

2017-04-21 11:25 PM simpsonbo

It's time to do away with Triathlon Talk Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Goggles Pizzano