General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden increase in excessive sweating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-24 10:17 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Sudden increase in excessive sweating
I've been training for 4+ years, and feel like I know my body and its sweating, and responses to heat (I train in Chicago).

In the last couple of weeks the amount of sweat is just extremely abnormal. The water is basically flowing down from my body. No smell, though, just the hectoliters of sweat. I have not made any changes to diet/nutrition/fluid intake recently, the weather remains the same. Because of the water loss, I am the most thirsty person on Earth during the run/ride, and I am drinking like crazy when coming back.

Thus, I am concerned. I made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow, but decided to check with other athletes, in case there is something I should add to considerations, and discuss with my doctor.

2017-07-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Sudden increase in excessive sweating

I've been sweating more the last couple weeks too, but not enough for me to be concerned with it as the humidity has also been higher. The temperatures have been fairly normal for the last few years, but the humidity seems to have stayed up there more often with all these storms coming through. I'm drenched from some very easy & short runs. Rides aren't very long, but I'm really getting soaked before going through the hard parts. Still go get checked out if you're concerned as it can be kind of tough to quantify what you're describing.

For others not in the area, the water level increase north of the city has been enough that several rivers have been flooding and relief programs have been set up to help. They haven't been a few minor sprinkles.

2017-07-26 9:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

I've been sweating more the last couple weeks too, but not enough for me to be concerned with it as the humidity has also been higher. The temperatures have been fairly normal for the last few years, but the humidity seems to have stayed up there more often with all these storms coming through. I'm drenched from some very easy & short runs. Rides aren't very long, but I'm really getting soaked before going through the hard parts. Still go get checked out if you're concerned as it can be kind of tough to quantify what you're describing.

For others not in the area, the water level increase north of the city has been enough that several rivers have been flooding and relief programs have been set up to help. They haven't been a few minor sprinkles.

Thanks, Ben, as always, for all your feedback. I hope the rivers are not being temperamental anymore.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and all my lab work results are perfect. The doctor said I need to drink way more water and take vitamins, and iron.
It made me feel so much better, and when I was thinking about the last weekend workout it actually started to make sense for me. I did 70 miles ride on the bike, where I never rode more than 35 (so I doubled...) and run 12 miles on the following day (except the HM few weeks ago, my longest runs were ~4 miles couple of times per week). Now that I looked at it it's basically HIM distance, with Sprint training..... No wonder my body was completely not ready for that kind of workout and effort.

Since sweating is the way our body cools down, when I doubled my workout (without proper preparation), and with extreme weather (almost 90 degrees and high humidity), that was the response. It had to cool down. I also admit I was pushing too hard (riding with friends - I told them I cannot ride as fast as them, but then just kept pushing).

Advice to self: take it easy on the training, slow down, drink wayyy more water and stuff.

Edited by marysia83 2017-07-26 9:22 AM
2017-07-26 11:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Could well just be a humidity issue, but no harm in getting it checked out if you're worried.

I sweat a crazy amount here in Saigon. Sometimes I am drinking up to 36 ounces of water an hour on a ride or run and still end up a bit dehydrated. In the sprint (hottest and most humid time of year), my shoes are usually sloshing with sweat by 30 minutes in. The more intense the effort, the hotter I get and the more I sweat. If I don't turn on the AC, I am getting up at 4:30 AM, sitting at the kitchen table with a pre-run iced coffee and granola bar, and sweat is already dripping down my back! I can work up a decent sweat just brushing my teeth at that time of year. Typically sweating a lot but with low sodium concentration (your sweat doesn't taste very salty) is an adaptation to training/living in hot and humid conditions. I wondered about thyroid because I do sweat so much, I'm quite thin even without much training, and Mom had some issues with it, but have had that tested and in fact it is normal---I just have a high sweat rate!

I also find that my sweat rate varies a bit with time of month--my coach had shared some research suggesting that women may have somewhat different fluid and electrolyte needs depending on hormone levels during their cycles. Could be a factor as well.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-07-26 11:38 AM
2017-07-26 11:46 AM

Master
Northern IL

Well that's good news you figured it out and it's a simple solution!

And that certainly was a big weekend for you! Sounds like some riding with those friends at times could be good for you, though not necessarily that far. Challenging yourself once in awhile is good and now you're getting experience in recovering from them.

2017-07-26 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Another thing I've found helpful in really hot/humid conditions--modify workouts so you are not doing sustained hard efforts for too long without an "easier" break in between. For example, in a cooler climate I might ride for 30-60 minutes steady at HIM race power (repeated 2-3X over a longer ride), or do a 30-60 minute tempo run, sometimes accelerating as I go. Those kinds of workouts here tend to end at best with me no longer able to hit the target paces and becoming overheated and nauseous; at worst with major dehydration and exhaustion that can last for several days after.

Over the years, I've learned that those kind of workouts are counterproductive in very hot/humid conditions. Instead, I tend to do shorter, slightly more intense intervals with some breaks in between, like 8-12 minutes at race pace/effort or a bit faster, with 4-6 minutes of easier running/riding in between. "Easier" can range from low/mid Zone 2 ("normal" steady run/ride pace) when it's not too hot, to barely faster than a walk (and occasionally a bit of walking if my HR is really high) when conditions are really extreme. I would suggest walking if your HR is getting much out of Z2 on the easier stretches of a long run. Heart rate is a good training tool in hot conditions, because it's a pretty strong indicator of body temps, hydration, and general stress on your system. The easier stretches let your core temperature drop a bit, which cuts down a bit on sweating/fluid loss, and also makes it easier to drink enough and absorb the fluids and electrolytes. This kind of training seems to be just as effective as longer pickups at a slightly easier pace, and seems to require less prolonged recovery.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sudden increase in excessive sweating Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Bike - How Many More Ounces per Hour to Drink as Temperature Increased

Started by toddj
Views: 651 Posts: 2

2017-06-26 7:21 AM mike761

Increasing swimming volume

Started by goforit
Views: 1693 Posts: 18

2017-03-14 10:14 AM Jet Black

Chafing and sweating

Started by jessiejackson0007
Views: 568 Posts: 2