General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Wheels for a Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-25 9:54 AM

User image

Subject: New Wheels for a Newbie
Hello,

I just completed my third Triathlon (one sprint, two Olympic) using my old Trek Elance. The bike is great, but it's not the fastest of my bikes. I have a lighter Raleigh with better shifting capabilities, but I got ran off the road a few months back. When I got up both wheels had come off the bike, I was hurt, angry, and dazed. The result was that I just threw the bike in the bushes and walked off. After I came to my senses a few miles later I went back to get my bike and could only find the front wheel. So, I am in need of at least a new back wheel. The wheels that were on it were Weinnman TR 18. That may not be a great wheel description, as I am still not very bike Savvy.

Seeing that I am still new to this, I am not looking to spend a lot of money until it will actually make a difference in my performance. If anyone has a recommendation on an affordable wheel, I would be more than happy to receive it.

Thank you for your time.

2017-07-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: Joednavy

Subject: RE: New Wheels for a Newbie
Originally posted by Joednavy

Hello,

I just completed my third Triathlon (one sprint, two Olympic) using my old Trek Elance. The bike is great, but it's not the fastest of my bikes. I have a lighter Raleigh with better shifting capabilities, but I got ran off the road a few months back. When I got up both wheels had come off the bike, I was hurt, angry, and dazed. The result was that I just threw the bike in the bushes and walked off. After I came to my senses a few miles later I went back to get my bike and could only find the front wheel. So, I am in need of at least a new back wheel. The wheels that were on it were Weinnman TR 18. That may not be a great wheel description, as I am still not very bike Savvy.

Seeing that I am still new to this, I am not looking to spend a lot of money until it will actually make a difference in my performance. If anyone has a recommendation on an affordable wheel, I would be more than happy to receive it.

Thank you for your time.

Let's talk about the real problem here. Just 2 bikes?
Juuuuust kiddin'. I can't help you too much with wheels. Other than I'd go with "value" (not crappy, but not too expensive) so you can save up for the 3rd and 4th bike

There's some really knowledgeable wheel people here that have been discussing wheels quite a bit...granted they've been a little higher end/higher performance wheels....but I'm sure they can chime in.
2017-07-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: Joednavy

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: New Wheels for a Newbie
You just need to know the wheel size, probably 700C. You can get this off the label on the bike tire. With this info in hand go and buy a gently used rear wheel off of Ebay. Important to know how many speeds the shifters of the Raleigh can handle. Do you remember how many speeds this bike has?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Wheels for a Newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

newbie training schedul

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 591 Posts: 4

2017-06-19 9:38 AM Trine

Newbie Looking For Training near Cincinnati

Started by hamilel5
Views: 618 Posts: 2

2017-04-25 10:44 AM rugerviking

Las Vegas Triathlon Newbie