General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for long events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-07-30 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI
Subject: Nutrition for long events
I have a nutrition question. I did a half marathon today and a big guy (315 lbs). I had some peanut butter crackers before the race and had a gu at mile 3,6,9,10. Around mile 8 was feeling light headed and got the shakes a bit. After we finished we had lunch around 12pm and still feel weak and it's 5:30pm. Was my nutrition good or should I switch to a protein based supplement like hammers perpetuem? Any comment will be welcomed.

2017-07-30 10:42 PM
in reply to: bbarr66

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Nutrition for long events

Originally posted by bbarr66 I have a nutrition question. I did a half marathon today and a big guy (315 lbs). I had some peanut butter crackers before the race and had a gu at mile 3,6,9,10. Around mile 8 was feeling light headed and got the shakes a bit. After we finished we had lunch around 12pm and still feel weak and it's 5:30pm. Was my nutrition good or should I switch to a protein based supplement like hammers perpetuem? Any comment will be welcomed.

I can do a 1/2 Marathon on nothing but water, but a full marathon I will crash but about mile 18-20 if I am not refueling. What you need to race is individual and depends on how you have trained (volume, intensity, refuling, etc). biological factors, etc.  If you are feeling the shakes then the nutrition needs to be tweaked.  I am not a pro at this so others you give you the text book answers, but when I race it is the Glucose that I need more of when I get shaky.  After the race my nutrition plan doesn't stop.  If I was taking GU every 30 minutes during the race i continue to take in something every 30 minutes after the race.   Peak time to refuel is the first 30 minutes after you stop so getting what you need right after the race will help prevent the shakes later in the shake too. 

2017-07-31 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
The pre-race crackers aren't getting it. I rarely run an open running event......but, I'm a 190#+ guy.....and I'd have several hundred calories in my stomach before I ran a HM.

You need to start with a fuller tank.....and keep it topped off. If you're just drinking water with the gels, I'd say (at your size) you'd need 2-3/hr.
2017-07-31 9:42 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010 The pre-race crackers aren't getting it. I rarely run an open running event......but, I'm a 190#+ guy.....and I'd have several hundred calories in my stomach before I ran a HM. You need to start with a fuller tank.....and keep it topped off. If you're just drinking water with the gels, I'd say (at your size) you'd need 2-3/hr.

This is probably part of what's going on.  Is a couple of peanut butter crackers what you normally eat before a long training session?

Another possibility includes pacing relative to fitness.  How much weekly running volume have you been doing the last 6 months?  Did it include any pace work in the form of tempo runs or intervals?  We have a tendency to blame fueling when the biggest culprit is usually pacing.

2017-07-31 9:45 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
150 lbs and I eat about 1000 calories before a half marathon + 2-3 gels during.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition for long events Rss Feed