United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 47s
Overall Rank = 1055/2146
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 135/231
Pre-race routine:

We tried something different for this race and camped in the park. The RV spot that we had ended up being 3 miles from the swim start, so I rode one of our extra bikes down. I think this was a great warm-up and got the blood flowing.
Once I got to the start, I set up my bike gear and started getting into my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Easy three mile bike ride from the camp-site to swim start.
Swim
  • 41m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim course for Ohio was very nice. The lake was extremely calm and comfortable to swim in. The waves were not too big, so I was able to find space within the first 100 meters. When I rounded the first buoy, we were swimming directly into the sun, so it was almost impossible to see the buoys. I still found myself swimming a pretty straight line. For the majority of the swim, I did not run into anyone else, but the last 150 meters, it started to get crowded as everyone was funneled into the chute. I made it to the beach and headed into transition.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't sure of what to expect for this swim. I have been really bad about my training and only had two swim sessions the entire summer. I wouldn't really do anything much differently other than try to get into the water more frequently.
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

So this transition was slower because everything had to be put back into your T1 bag before you could leave, so I had to be sure that my wetsuit, goggles, etc. were all put away before running out of the chute.

I honestly don't know how to get much faster unless I can learn to ride without socks and/or perform the flying mount.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a mostly flat course that really let's you drop the hammer and just pedal! I think that this would be a tougher course on a windier day because there is nothing but cropland around you, but we were blessed with very minor breezes. The hills towards the end hit me only because my legs were getting tired from the constant pedaling

I maybe could have pushed a little harder and broken that 20mph avg.
Transition 2
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

Coming into the stadium was very cool. I was able to quickly rack my bike and then grab my gear bag to grab shoes, visor and race belt before heading out on the run.

Really need to buy some quick laces for my shoes. Having to tie the laces added extra time. Otherwise, I truly don't know how I could be more efficient in T2
Run
  • 2h 47m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be tough. My training was already below what it should have been, and I also missed three weeks due to my bike accident. I decided to go with a 5-2 strategy and just see how far that would get me. I was able to hold that pretty well until mile 10, when it became more like a 3-2 or even 2-2 as my lack of training and fitness really became evident.
I was able to pull myself together enough to run the final 3/4 of a mile. Running into the stadium was really cool, and when I came around the turn on the track, I saw my family sitting in the front row of the bleachers! They weren't planning on being there, so seeing them caught me by complete surprise! I veered to the stands for some high fives (and hugs) and then headed into the finish!

Just be better. If I really want to keep doing this, I have to get back into better shape.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and my gear. I had packed some dry clothes into my morning bag, so I changed in the bathroom at the stadium before heading back with the family to our RV. My wife volunteered to drive so that I could lay out on the couch (bless her!!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness level. This course, with the conditions we had, was a PR course. I knew going in that it would not be a great performance, but I was still pleased with what I was able to do on the course.

Event comments:

So this race is a little hard for me to accurately rate. The packet pickup and expo were absolutely horrible. Pickup was crammed into a tiny tent and it was difficult to get through because there wasn't enough room for the people to move from line to line. The ironman store was completely wiped out! I really like to buy the shirts with everyone's name on the back, and there was none to be had. Good for my wallet, I ended up buying nothing. The rest of the "expo" consisted of a couple of vendors showcasing dog food and other random items. The only tent that sold nutritionals was the bike tent and they were only carrying two flavors of gel. I guess it's my fault that I didn't already have this on-hand, but I've done so many IM's and I've really gotten into the habit of buying what I need at the race and it's never been a problem before.

The post-race food was absolutely terrible. I was given a completely burnt burger on a stale bun, a piece of cheese, and for some reason the volunteer decided that I really like pickles because he dumped about twenty onto my plate! I tried to take one bite of the burger and then threw the whole inedible mess into the trash!

The course was fantastic, and the volunteers were wonderful. I think they need to improve on their pre and post race logistics though.

Last updated: 2017-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 91/231
Overall: 723/2146
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: a rectangular course that went along the bank for the first 500 before turning out into the lake. The second and third legs had the sun, so it was hard to sight.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:55:42 | 56 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 118/231
Overall: 845/2146
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course is basically a large loop that takes you from Delaware State Park north into the countryside before turning back south towards Selby Stadium downtown. There are a handful of technical turns, but otherwise long stretches of flat road. The only hills that you encounter are unfortunately between mile 48-53. They aren't big, but they are kind of tough after almost 50 miles of constant pedaling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:47:17 | 13.1 miles | 12m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 147/231
Overall: 1308/2146
Performance: Below average
Course: Run out about a mile and then hit the loop for two circuits before heading back into Selby Stadium for the finish. Fairly hilly run with some shade, but not a lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-07-31 3:19 PM

User image

New user

Greensboro, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman Ohio

2017-08-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5225441

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Ohio
Congrats on your race!
The 2 transition set up was a pain, but great course and volunteers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Ohio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ohio Triathlon Championships

Started by tibibacsi
Views: 689 Posts: 1

2016-09-19 1:51 PM tibibacsi

Ironman 70.3 Ohio

Started by buckeyeguy77
Views: 2001 Posts: 2

2016-09-07 12:23 PM juniperjen