General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike to Tri bike conversion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-01 4:39 AM

Subject: Road bike to Tri bike conversion
hello all,

newbie to the forum (as well as to the sport). I was hoping someone might be able to give me some tips. I am looking to convert my road bike (Trek Domane 2) into a tri bike. at the moment i am using aero bars (clip ons) and a seat intended for triathlons and am really enjoying the position.

I understand its a lot cheaper to convert the bike rather than buying a tri bike (which are especially costly out here in Dubai). i approached a couple of local bike shops (including the trek dealer) about a conversation and was discouraged. the first one said its possible but not adviseable whereas trek arent able to provide trek manufactured parts that are compatible. i didnt follow why this is not advisable - i read an article online which mentioned that the 2014 US pro series was won by someone using a converted bike.

Does anyone have any experience of this (any online stores that i should approach in particular for the parts)? any downsides to this?

many thanks in advance!

2017-08-01 5:46 AM
in reply to: Haych75

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Road bike to Tri bike conversion
I would suggest that if you have a strong road position (comfortable on hoods and drops, forearms close to horizontal on the hoods) along with clip on aerobars that let you get into a decent position without compromising your other two positions, you are in the best triathlon position you can achieve on a road bike.

The main reason to not try to make a road bike into a tribike is that handling will be quite compromised (typically) - several of the geometry changes on a tribike are related to making a bike which goes fast in a straight line (basically they're designed to be pretty stable compared to a road bike). Also, these are things that are not easily addressed with a seat tube change like wheelbase, head tube angle and trail.

Shane
2017-08-01 5:51 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

oh ok, thank you
2017-08-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

As stated already, trying to make a road bike into a full-on tri bike will compromise the handling. Way back, when all we had were road bikes, we all did this, some times to stupid extremes.

Shortie clip-on bars can help you get narrow, without changing your body position appreciably. Just make sure they allow you to keep your torso position close to what you'd have riding in the drops.

Also, an aero helmet is one of the biggest bang-for-the-buck investments you can make for speed gains, after getting your body position dialed in. Wheels are a fun place to spend some big cash for some gains. Then the nit-picking starts. All that would be after your next bike, so get the shorties, get comfortable on them, and have a lot of fun.

Edited by briderdt 2017-08-01 8:46 AM
2017-08-02 3:02 AM
in reply to: briderdt

cheers gents!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road bike to Tri bike conversion Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road Bike Tires

Started by nc452010
Views: 1292 Posts: 7

2016-11-10 11:46 AM StevenC

How much better is a TT/tri bike than a road bike?

Started by Trilogy
Views: 1792 Posts: 7

2016-11-08 8:45 PM Trilogy

Stationary bike vs Road cycling Pages: 1 2

Started by kmariesmyth
Views: 5608 Posts: 27

2018-01-12 8:49 AM audiojan

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9190 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Time Difference b/w Tri-Bike and Road Bike

Started by kp73
Views: 5172 Posts: 7

2017-04-02 4:47 PM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
How to buy a used bike for triathlon

date : December 1, 2016
author : AMSSM
Triathlete's doctor recommends road bike over tri bike
date : October 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Your bike costs a lot to replace. Don't let it get rusty.

date : September 30, 2016
author : Team BT
Shifting on hills can be challenging. Here's some advice.