General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint results Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-05 11:48 AM

, Toscana
Subject: Sprint results

Hi all

I am getting ready for my first sprint in October. I am curious about the results. I have no illusions about winning and I would only like to finish but if possible not be the last . My pace and stamina are increasing and I am doing well imho but would like to know as the results different sites are quoting are also varying significantly. What I found is swimming (750m) about 15 minutes, bike 20km about 40 minutes and running 5km about 25 minutes. Are these realistic? Should they be better?

Thanks!

2017-08-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: antuntus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Sprint results
Originally posted by antuntus

Hi all

I am getting ready for my first sprint in October. I am curious about the results. I have no illusions about winning and I would only like to finish but if possible not be the last . My pace and stamina are increasing and I am doing well imho but would like to know as the results different sites are quoting are also varying significantly. What I found is swimming (750m) about 15 minutes, bike 20km about 40 minutes and running 5km about 25 minutes. Are these realistic? Should they be better?

Thanks!

The listed results for completed races will always vary, sometimes a lot, because course and weather conditions are almost never the same from race to race. Some bike and run courses will be flat, no wind, while others will have lots of hilly terarain and lots of wind... for cooling you down Some races are run in hot weather, others on cooler days. This will affect the finish times.
Often, the listed distances of a race are somewhat inaccurate, too. This makes it difficult to compare race to race finish times.

If the times you have listed in your post are what you are currently able to do, then I suspect you will have little difficulty in finishing your sprint race well ahead of the last place finisher.
Enjoy the training, enjoy the experience of your first tri, and don't stress over your finishing place, as it is not in your control - it really depends on who shows up to race. What you do control is your training, your race prep, and your attitude

• .. I hope this helps ...

• 2017-08-05 6:45 PM
    in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Veteran
    Western Australia
    Originally posted by triosaurus

Originally posted by antuntus

Hi all

Thanks!

The listed results for completed races will always vary, sometimes a lot, because course and weather conditions are almost never the same from race to race. Some bike and run courses will be flat, no wind, while others will have lots of hilly terarain and lots of wind... for cooling you down Some races are run in hot weather, others on cooler days. This will affect the finish times.
    Often, the listed distances of a race are somewhat inaccurate, too. This makes it difficult to compare race to race finish times.

If the times you have listed in your post are what you are currently able to do, then I suspect you will have little difficulty in finishing your sprint race well ahead of the last place finisher.
    Enjoy the training, enjoy the experience of your first tri, and don't stress over your finishing place, as it is not in your control - it really depends on who shows up to race. What you do control is your training, your race prep, and your attitude

• .. I hope this helps ...

• I agree with everything said here.

But if you really want to know then find the times for last year for the race you are planning on doing (normally on the race website under results). This will tell you how long the slowest person took last year.
    2017-08-05 8:36 PM
    in reply to: #5225763

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    If your times are reasonably accurate you should finish in ~1:30, should put you solidly on the back of MOP, plenty of people will be behind you. Enjoy.
    2017-08-06 6:16 AM
    in reply to: #5225778

, Toscana
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the support.

Still not there with the results but getting closer so think I will be able to achieve them by October.

I do enjoy the trainings and hope will enjoy the race as much.

Cheers to all
    2017-08-06 8:33 PM
    in reply to: antuntus

User image

Veteran
    Great White North
    Even the same race from year to year it varies. Swim buoy in a slightly different place, windy on the bike vs calm... sometimes courses have to change because of construction. Wetsuit swim vs non wetsuit if the lake is warmer. We have one event that has bounced all over the calender because its part of the ITU WTS series last 3 years it was at the very end of summer. This year July 29, no wetsuit swim vs a cancelled swim (twice), wetsuit swim in 2014 (had it been a week sooner it would have been non wetsuit. Elites were non wetsuit in 2014). Finished in 1:06xx, I was less concerned on overall time vs having a good run split 21:01). This race has a long run form the swim to T1 (takes at least 90 seconds).

2017-08-08 3:08 PM
    in reply to: simpsonbo

Pacing is key. Save some for the run. IMHO it is easy to "blow up" on the run. Not recommending coasting, but go a little slower on the bike than you would if all you were doing was cycling...
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint results Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

LTHR test results seem high

Started by micahwedemeyer
    Views: 1179 Posts: 12

2016-11-21 10:02 AM micahwedemeyer

Result for the 2016 NYC Trialthon

Started by kwak76
    Views: 760 Posts: 2

2016-09-21 6:04 PM TJHammer

Jumping from Sprint to Olympic