General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire tool kit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-08 10:00 PM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Subject: Tire tool kit?
I am getting ready to do my fourth triathlon.
Chicago Tri Olympic distance
DO I NEED TO CARRY A TOOL KIT?
So far I have not had any flat tires on my bike, but I feel like it is time to learn to change a tire and carry the things I need with me on my bike.
Any recommendations for mini pumps and tools or bag to hold it? I think I need to place an amazon order.
Thanks,

Edited by JeanieW 2017-08-08 10:04 PM

2017-08-08 11:26 PM
in reply to: JeanieW

User image

Ventura, California
Subject: RE: Tire tool kit?

Hello Jeanie,

You should carry a tire kit and basic tools on your bike. Not just during a race but also when out training. If your doing a Olympic and get a flat at mile 12, that is a long walk back to the finish line. Not all races with have roving bike support so if you get a flat and no way to fix it, your walking home.

Co2 cartridges seem to be very popular and take very little room. You will need tire levers, I carry 3, and at least one tube, I carry 2.

I once tried a patch kit on the side of the road and it failed to hold, luckily I was only 3 miles from home so it was a short walk. I carry 2 tubes as I had a flat at mile 6 of a 60 mile bike ride, luckily I did not get another flat, but had I things would have sucked. I carry 3 tire levers as when I only had 2, one broke in half during the repair. Luckily I was able to complete the repair.

I personally need to learn to use the Co2 cartridges. I have a older bike with a trusty full sized frame pump that works awesome! Eventually though I will need to move into a more modern bike that do not have the full size frame rail pumps. The little mini pumps might be enough to get you on the road one time. My buddy had one, it worked twice before it broke and even then it was only able to get about 40psi in the tire which is hardly enough to ride on a road bike.

I also carry a key wrench for every fastener on my bike. I had a friend who got bumped and forced off the shoulder into the dirt and he fell. He was ok but the handle bars and brake lever where tweaked badly. He had no tools and could hardly ride the bike. Had he had basic tools he could have quickly re-adjusted everything and got back in the race.

Stop in and buy your tools from your local bike shop, they can also give you tips on what you might need. They may also be willing to teach you how to change out your tubes should you ever need to. Also as a general rule of thumb, the higher quality tire you purchase, the less likely you are to flat, but that is not a guarantee of any kind.

Best wishes, hope all that helps

2017-08-09 7:31 AM

User image

Exton, PA
You should always carry tools to change a flat. Eventually everyone will flat, and that 12 mile walk is longer than you think because your pushing a bike that has a flat . Also your in bike shoes which is a horrible way to walk, if you take them off you now have a 12 mile barefoot walk.

You should have at a minimum:
2 tire levers (get good ones so you don't hat to worry about breaking them)
1 spare tube (long rides by yourself on HIM/IM you should consider 2)
co2 inflator + 2 bottles( mini pumps work too, but you have a hard time getting the pressure you need)
Recommended:
mini tool kit
rag ( I wrap my tube in a rag to protect it from rubbing, then I have something to wipe up my hands with afterwards.)
straps( helps with tuff tires/rims)
cell phone( most probably carry these days, but some don't)

Watch some U tube videos on how to change you tires, and practice.
2017-08-09 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Depends on your race goals.  

If you are focused on being competitive, a flat effectively takes you out of the race even if you have tools.  (I have seen people quit a race like this.)  

If you are focused on participation and finishing, then do what you can to finish and that includes having tools to fix a flat tire and maybe one or two other things.  

I run Gatorskins even in races because I don't want to fix flats in that environment.  

I keep my repair kit (tool, levers, spare tube, patch kit, $10 bill) in a seat bag.  For races, it's a pretty small bag with just these essentials.  For training, it's a much more luxurious bag where I also keep light, paper towel, gel, and an ID.  

For training, I have a full-size frame pump.  For racing, I have a mini-pump with CO2 and 2 cartridges.  Why a mini-pump instead of just an inflator?  I like to put a little air in the tube to check things before using the CO2.  

2017-08-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree with all this advice. I wanted to add that I used my CO2 cartridge with an inflator to fill up a slow leak during a race.  Two quick partial fills got me to transition and save me a lot of time not needing to change the flat.  So, I really recommend the inflator set-up. 

The other advice I give is to use your spare tube in your bike once a year.  This is also a good way to practice changing the tube!  Over time the extra tube can get beat-up and holes can appear.   I used a tube, that had spent years crammed in my gear holder, and discovered a hole. I was so glad I was at home!  I now also store the spare tube in an old sunglasses drawstring pouch.   My husband stores them in their box, which is so bulky... 

2017-08-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: mike761

Originally posted by mike761

co2 inflator + 2 bottles( mini pumps work too, but you have a hard time getting the pressure you need)

Out of curiosity, is there a 'best practice' for getting the pressure you need without any kind of gauge?

I've always gone with the "give the tire with the replaced tube a squeeze on the sides and a poke with the thumb on top.....then do the same with the tire that didn't get a tube-change and back and forth 'til they feel about the same" method.

And then hit the floor pump almost as soon as I get home to see how far off I was...hoping that I'll "get better" at guessing.

I'm hoping that in a long race of 70.3 or more that somewhere at some aid station or something....someone would have a decent pump with a gauge? At the very worst, would you be able to alert someone for sag help? Only sat through a handful of pre-race meetings for distances meeting that threshold....and never heard much. I've read through dozens of athlete guides and they sort of allude to this, but don't directly address it with specifics.

2017-08-10 7:00 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jhaack39

Originally posted by mike761

Out of curiosity, is there a 'best practice' for getting the pressure you need without any kind of gauge?

I've always gone with the "give the tire with the replaced tube a squeeze on the sides and a poke with the thumb on top.....then do the same with the tire that didn't get a tube-change and back and forth 'til they feel about the same" method.

And then hit the floor pump almost as soon as I get home to see how far off I was...hoping that I'll "get better" at guessing.

I'm hoping that in a long race of 70.3 or more that somewhere at some aid station or something....someone would have a decent pump with a gauge? At the very worst, would you be able to alert someone for sag help? Only sat through a handful of pre-race meetings for distances meeting that threshold....and never heard much. I've read through dozens of athlete guides and they sort of allude to this, but don't directly address it with specifics.

A 16g co2 is supposed to take a 23mm tire to 125psi I believe. So I do not use the whole thing, Its a bit of a guess.

I have found it better than a mini pump always because they do not have gauges either and it's very difficult to get the pressure up with them.

Comparing the front and back tire is not great either because you should not be at the same pressure in the first place.

I would doubt you would be anywhere close to the right pressure just by feel anyway. I do feel it but just from experience I know how hard it needs to be to avoid pinch flats.
2017-08-10 7:42 AM

User image

In Chicago they will have Transamerica Bike Support Crew out on the bike course to help. I train with a tool kit but it isn't a very aero pouch. So, during races (all sprint/olympic) I just take it off and leave it in my transition bag. I ride with 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartridges, 2 tire levers, and a multi size allen wrench.
2017-08-10 11:16 AM

User image

Id consider bringing one for an Oly. Mostly just so I wouldn't have to wait for support or walk. Lots of good advice in the other replies. I use CO2 in mine and keep latex disposable gloves in it. I use Xlab mezzo pod so I can pull it off one bike and throw it on another since it goes in bottle cage.
2017-08-10 12:50 PM

User image

Kingston Upon Thames, England
inside a saddle bag:
2 trye levers
1 inner tube (for that distance if your running clinchers)
1 Co2 cartridge
1 light mini tool

If you puncture more than twice, there is either a problem with your tyre, you haven't removed a splint, glass or stone properly from the tyre or under the tyre after your 1st puncture.
Generally you should always make sure your tyres are in great condition before a race and check for any splints in the tyre.
Or your very unlucky, the road surface is extremely bad.

Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire tool kit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Changing clothes?

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 3770 Posts: 5

2017-06-30 9:32 AM Sleepyluke

To Change tires / tubes or not

Started by Stuckinthemiddle
Views: 1024 Posts: 7

2017-03-06 1:33 PM mcmanusclan5