BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Hi, I'm Jim. I have something seriously wrong with me too. It started as a midlife crisis (I thought a corvette was too expensive, now it would have been a bargain).
I live in Northeast MI along Lake Huron. Married, 4 kids (3 girls 1 boy). As of the 24th only the boy will be living with us, as all 3 girls will be in some form of college.
I ran for fun when I was young, took a 15 year hiatus from all forms of exercise. Started walking, then running, then triathlon. I ran my first 5k at age 40. I've done all distances, most recent was an IM last October (at age 50), hopefully to repeat this October. I am still not sure how I finished the IM last year, I was grossly under trained and an emotional wreck.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-08-10 2:15 PM

2017-08-10 7:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Hello, hello! I'm Blanda. Former Guam soccer player. Married to a super duper dude for 21 years (been together for 26), we have 2 girls and a boy. They're pretty neat even if they drive me bananas sometimes, haha! Got started with multi-sporting in 2011 with Xterra Guam. I was looking to transition from playing competitive soccer to something kinder to my joints. Learned how to swim in time to participate in Xterra Guam 2012. Found my new love, mountain biking. I prefer it to road cycling.

I've done a few super sprints, sprints and Olympic distances, and one half Ironman, Japan 70.3. I've done a few cycling races, my favorite being a 100K mountain bike race on a tiny island called Tinian. I've done an island to island swim that's 2.5 miles long a couple times. I also dabble in Crossfit and will be participating in a competition this weekend. I think I'm a hyper moron, haha! I need to do things that are hard and take a long time, and analyze the data after. I'm weird.

I'm not signed up for any triathlons at the moment, BUT someone just shared that my favorite Olympic distance is being resurrected. Hmmm. I'm not sure when I'll be ready for the hard work that goes into preparing for a full IM, but I'd like to do one. I'm itching to do more Xterra races, though. We shall see what I end up pulling the trigger on.

So happy to be a part of this group! Such a supportive, easy going one.
2017-08-10 9:23 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

I'm Robin. This week is the start of my 28.5 year of teaching instrumental music at the same middle school I went to as a child. My room is the convection oven in the warmer months, the freezer when it's cold. Sometimes we sing "Do you want to build a snowman?" as it's snowing in my room. Not kidding.

I've done several sprints and a few Olympics. I'd like to say I've done 9 70.3s, but I just had my first DNF and not handling it well. I did IM Boulder in 2015 and had an amazing day. My next race is the Vegas Rock N Roll Half marathon in November.

My husband and I have Jack, an 11 y/o Golden Receiver (he brings nothing back), Dug, a 6 y/o Golden Retriever who is now a certified comfort dog, Caesar 14 y/o buff colored cat (he cries for food because he's always starving - he weighs 21lbs), and tiny little Lilo the Siamese mix. I tri for donuts.
2017-08-11 10:11 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Hello, hello! I'm Blanda. Former Guam soccer player. Married to a super duper dude for 21 years (been together for 26), we have 2 girls and a boy. They're pretty neat even if they drive me bananas sometimes, haha! Got started with multi-sporting in 2011 with Xterra Guam. I was looking to transition from playing competitive soccer to something kinder to my joints. Learned how to swim in time to participate in Xterra Guam 2012. Found my new love, mountain biking. I prefer it to road cycling. I've done a few super sprints, sprints and Olympic distances, and one half Ironman, Japan 70.3. I've done a few cycling races, my favorite being a 100K mountain bike race on a tiny island called Tinian. I've done an island to island swim that's 2.5 miles long a couple times. I also dabble in Crossfit and will be participating in a competition this weekend. I think I'm a hyper moron, haha! I need to do things that are hard and take a long time, and analyze the data after. I'm weird. I'm not signed up for any triathlons at the moment, BUT someone just shared that my favorite Olympic distance is being resurrected. Hmmm. I'm not sure when I'll be ready for the hard work that goes into preparing for a full IM, but I'd like to do one. I'm itching to do more Xterra races, though. We shall see what I end up pulling the trigger on. So happy to be a part of this group! Such a supportive, easy going one.

I think that the new phrase around here is "moron." haha

2017-08-11 10:41 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

I've done several sprints and a few Olympics. I'd like to say I've done 9 70.3s, but I just had my first DNF and not handling it well. I did IM Boulder in 2015 and had an amazing day. My next race is the Vegas Rock N Roll Half marathon in November.

Awww, I'm sorry

But you're an Ironman - so who cares about a little half DNF? :D You got nuthin to prove!
2017-08-11 11:19 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi, I'm Melanie and I'm a moron.  I play ice hockey (goalie) on a women's team and generally love being outdoors and active.  I've completed numerous sprints, one Xterra, various Olympic tris and one 63.16 (storm-shortened Syracuse 70.3). I am planning on (hoping for!) a successful redemption race with LP 70.3 in about 4 weeks.  I can't wait.  My friends and I have trained there so often over the years it's almost like a home race only 425 miles away.

This weekend my husband and I are doing a run/kayak race.  Point to point run, then point to point kayak.  Mainly for fun but I can't help but be a little competitive.

2017-08-11 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13
Justin - Age Group Nationals on Saturday
Robin P - Lake Lure Sprint on Saturday
Blanda - Crossfit competition on Saturday
TJ - Naples Island Swim  on Sunday
Melanie - Run-Kayak race with Eddie

August 15 is Mary G's birthday
August 16 is Karen's birthday

Is anyone else racing?

Edited by jmkizer 2017-08-11 12:22 PM
2017-08-11 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Wow, nice long list with some great variety. Go friends go!!!

Happy Birthday Mary and Karen.

2017-08-11 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Nice variety of racing/competing  this weekend!  Everyone have a great time!!

Happy early bday Mary and Karen!

2017-08-11 4:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

BIO TIME! Hi, I'm Lisa. I read almost all of your posts but am bad about replying. I've done too many races to count over the past decade, and am a proud member of the back of pack (BOP). Highlights of my race resume are 3 Ironman finishes (4 starts), and my low point was a crash on the IM Louisville bike course in 2015, resulting in a broken leg and game over for awhile. 

I recently moved from Kansas to Atlanta, and love it. My lifelong goal to live in a big city has finally come to fruition. Working on getting back in the tri game with a half marathon, MS Bike ride and Ragnar Relay this fall. I'll also be at IM Chattanooga in September volunteering, and plan to register for 2018. 

I work in Public Affairs/Employee Communications for a telecommunications company/internet provider/your favorite bill to pay each month, don't lie! (I get it, everyone hates the cable company. But my job, my team and my company ROCK!). Single dog mom to Bentley, my 13-year old dachshund. 

GO RACERS!

2017-08-11 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Have a great race everyone.

Happy birthday Mary and Karen

2017-08-11 9:02 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck Racers and birthday revelers. I hope you all have a great weekend.
2017-08-13 5:23 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh how on earth did it get to be Monday morning already?

I hope that you all had a great weekend (not that yours is over yet) and that the week treats you well.
2017-08-13 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Go, Manatees, Goooo! Happy birthday in advance, Mary and Karen!

Done with soccer. Took 2nd place at champs and I officially hang my boots. My knees will be thankful. Crossfit competition was tough, but fun. Part of it was a 5k obstacle course. Loved the trail running part, dreaded the obstacles. Lifting was fun, even if always a challenge. It was a full weekend and I am 100% resting today. Whew!
2017-08-14 9:42 AM

User image

Hey everyone. I'm back from Omaha where I competed at Age Group Nationals and man did I get my butt handed to me! I also got hit with a 6 min penalty clearly because I was going too fast . I actually have no idea what the penalty was for and am hoping to find out. Overall it was a great race and IMO the best Oly distance race in the country.

Quick bio: My name is Justin and I live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and have a wife, 2 boys (2 yrs and 3 mos) and I've gone from athlete, to overweight and overworked to athlete again. I love everything that challenges me and although I'm hooked on triathlon, every now and then I enjoy mixing in other events (marathon, Obstacle Races, etc). I've enjoyed being part of this group the last few years and look forward to another season of fun, banter and of course learning a thing or 2.
2017-08-14 9:50 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone. I'm back from Omaha where I competed at Age Group Nationals and man did I get my butt handed to me! I also got hit with a 6 min penalty clearly because I was going too fast . I actually have no idea what the penalty was for and am hoping to find out. Overall it was a great race and IMO the best Oly distance race in the country. Quick bio: My name is Justin and I live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and have a wife, 2 boys (2 yrs and 3 mos) and I've gone from athlete, to overweight and overworked to athlete again. I love everything that challenges me and although I'm hooked on triathlon, every now and then I enjoy mixing in other events (marathon, Obstacle Races, etc). I've enjoyed being part of this group the last few years and look forward to another season of fun, banter and of course learning a thing or 2.

Glad you enjoyed Omaha -congrats on competing there -even if you did get your butt handed to you and received a mysterious 6 minute penalty!

2017-08-14 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Blanda

Racing Manatees!!!

August 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Go, Manatees, Goooo! Happy birthday in advance, Mary and Karen! Done with soccer. Took 2nd place at champs and I officially hang my boots. My knees will be thankful. Crossfit competition was tough, but fun. Part of it was a 5k obstacle course. Loved the trail running part, dreaded the obstacles. Lifting was fun, even if always a challenge. It was a full weekend and I am 100% resting today. Whew!

Congrats! Soccer championships and crossfit sounds like an interesting combo!  

2017-08-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone. I'm back from Omaha where I competed at Age Group Nationals and man did I get my butt handed to me! I also got hit with a 6 min penalty clearly because I was going too fast . I actually have no idea what the penalty was for and am hoping to find out. Overall it was a great race and IMO the best Oly distance race in the country. Quick bio: My name is Justin and I live in Dallas, TX. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada and have a wife, 2 boys (2 yrs and 3 mos) and I've gone from athlete, to overweight and overworked to athlete again. I love everything that challenges me and although I'm hooked on triathlon, every now and then I enjoy mixing in other events (marathon, Obstacle Races, etc). I've enjoyed being part of this group the last few years and look forward to another season of fun, banter and of course learning a thing or 2.

I'm glad that you had fun in Omaha!

2017-08-14 1:19 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

BIO TIME! Hi, I'm Lisa. I read almost all of your posts but am bad about replying. I've done too many races to count over the past decade, and am a proud member of the back of pack (BOP). Highlights of my race resume are 3 Ironman finishes (4 starts), and my low point was a crash on the IM Louisville bike course in 2015, resulting in a broken leg and game over for awhile. 

I recently moved from Kansas to Atlanta, and love it. My lifelong goal to live in a big city has finally come to fruition. Working on getting back in the tri game with a half marathon, MS Bike ride and Ragnar Relay this fall. I'll also be at IM Chattanooga in September volunteering, and plan to register for 2018. 

I work in Public Affairs/Employee Communications for a telecommunications company/internet provider/your favorite bill to pay each month, don't lie! (I get it, everyone hates the cable company. But my job, my team and my company ROCK!). Single dog mom to Bentley, my 13-year old dachshund. 

GO RACERS!

I think we're in for IMCHOO '18! I sure hope there are swiss rolls at the aid stations!
2017-08-14 4:14 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

GO RACERS!

I think we're in for IMCHOO '18! I sure hope there are swiss rolls at the aid stations!

I saw somewhere that they give treats to the spectators. I'm sure DH will be taking advantage of that.

2017-08-14 4:34 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

GO RACERS!

I saw somewhere that they give treats to the spectators. I'm sure DH will be taking advantage of that.

No swiss rolls. Little Debbie oatmeal cookies and Moon Pies in the Athlete's Village. We may have walked by that booth multiple times on multiple days.

2017-08-14 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Think they will have that service at 70.3 Worlds as well?? I have spent so much money on getting there I may not otherwise be able to afford to eat!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-08-14 5:06 PM
2017-08-14 6:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Think they will have that service at 70.3 Worlds as well?? I have spent so much money on getting there I may not otherwise be able to afford to eat!

Probably. I know that the hotel was Well Stocked with the Little Debbie oatmeal cookies -- the ones with the frosting in the middle. Oh, I just looked and I guess they are oatmeal cream pies.  There was some other flavor too.

2017-08-14 9:15 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Hot Runner Think they will have that service at 70.3 Worlds as well?? I have spent so much money on getting there I may not otherwise be able to afford to eat!

Probably. I know that the hotel was Well Stocked with the Little Debbie oatmeal cookies -- the ones with the frosting in the middle. Oh, I just looked and I guess they are oatmeal cream pies.  There was some other flavor too.

I love those! That would make the hotel stay worthwhile.
2017-08-14 9:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

I love those! That would make the hotel stay worthwhile.

That was my ride nutrition for a period.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44