BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-09 9:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok so my sister has signed us up for the summer trail series. They are only 12k long so not major and all in the day light. There is one before Disney which we will take very easy and it is on a beginner trail. The others are all after we get back from Florida. So what do I need to know and what do I need? (and yes I know running is a given )

If the trails are mainly dirt with just a few rocks, you will be fine with regular running shoes.  However, I would recommend trail running shoes if the trails have a lot of rocks.  Many (but not all) trail running shoes have what they call a rock plate inside which helps protect your feet from getting poked by rocks.  In PA where I live and run, the majority of our trails are very rocky and rooty and I don't like running without my trail shoes on them as my feet end up feeling beat up if I wear regular sneakers.  Trail shoes also tend to have a little extra protection on toes, etc., again for rocky/rooty situations.

2017-10-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok so my sister has signed us up for the summer trail series. They are only 12k long so not major and all in the day light. There is one before Disney which we will take very easy and it is on a beginner trail. The others are all after we get back from Florida. So what do I need to know and what do I need? (and yes I know running is a given )

Also, check the race website - lots of trail races are "zero waste" - meaning you have to carry your own water bottle or hydration system in an effort to reduce paper cup waste. A handheld water bottle is usually fine, but if it's more technical where you'll need to "scramble" and use your hands in places, you might think about a hydration pack to be hands free. 

2017-10-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8
No known racers this week

Is anyone racing?

Louisville peeps, when are you planning to arrive in town? Would you like to plan a Manatee Meetup? Maybe plan it around an athlete briefing? If you need to be in your own headspace during your time in Louisville, I get it.

Karen, we all hope that you start to have some noticeable improvement soon!

Getting there Thursday, what about you?. Being in my own head is always a scary thing  , so let's meet up!  One of the athlete briefings sounds like a good time to me.

I'm leaving here on Thursday, but I won't get to Louisville until Friday. We are taking the long route which includes dinner w/ daughter #2 and picking up daughter #1 and delivering her to my in laws, and a night at my in laws house (I just realized you don't need to know this, but it's too late and I have wasted your brain space). We should be there early Friday afternoon.
One of the briefings sounds good to me.
We are staying at the Galt House.
2017-10-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

Louisville peeps, when are you planning to arrive in town? Would you like to plan a Manatee Meetup? Maybe plan it around an athlete briefing? If you need to be in your own headspace during your time in Louisville, I get it.

Getting there Thursday, what about you?. Being in my own head is always a scary thing  , so let's meet up!  One of the athlete briefings sounds like a good time to me.

I'm leaving here on Thursday, but I won't get to Louisville until Friday. We are taking the long route which includes dinner w/ daughter #2 and picking up daughter #1 and delivering her to my in laws, and a night at my in laws house (I just realized you don't need to know this, but it's too late and I have wasted your brain space). We should be there early Friday afternoon. One of the briefings sounds good to me. We are staying at the Galt House.

Sounds like a plan!

2017-10-09 1:24 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

I'm leaving here on Thursday, but I won't get to Louisville until Friday. We are taking the long route which includes dinner w/ daughter #2 and picking up daughter #1 and delivering her to my in laws, and a night at my in laws house (I just realized you don't need to know this, but it's too late and I have wasted your brain space). We should be there early Friday afternoon. One of the briefings sounds good to me. We are staying at the Galt House.

Sounds like a plan!

cool! I'm at the Hyatt.

2017-10-09 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!  No turkey for us this year--last year my partner was away, so my mom and I went out for dinner.  Decided we liked it, so are doing it again this year, with SO and stepson. 

Karen hope you get some answers/relief soon.

Stacey, I have been doing a lot of trail running recently.  I really enjoy it--I have run in quite a few places that I had never visited before.  Definitely use muscles you don't on the road--the small ones in my feet I really notice.  You will be slower, sometimes much, as mentioned.  It can be cooler in the trails, so might be nice as you head into your summer.  Enjoy!

Safe travels to IM Lou peeps!

2017-10-09 8:57 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
Originally posted by IronOx

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!  No turkey for us this year--last year my partner was away, so my mom and I went out for dinner.  Decided we liked it, so are doing it again this year, with SO and stepson. 

Stacey, I have been doing a lot of trail running recently.  I really enjoy it--I have run in quite a few places that I had never visited before.  Definitely use muscles you don't on the road--the small ones in my feet I really notice.  You will be slower, sometimes much, as mentioned.  It can be cooler in the trails, so might be nice as you head into your summer.  Enjoy!

Happy Thanksgiving! We did a similar thing at the onset of my Mom's Alzheimer's. A couple of ruined turkeys resulted in Chinese for Christmas, a tradition my brother and I have continued. It's fun to do something a little different.
2017-10-10 4:52 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by IronOx

Happy t-giving! Not cooking sounds like a great idea!!
2017-10-10 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

Sounds like a plan!

cool! I'm at the Hyatt.

The Lou names are loaded in the IM app. I now have it all set to stalk y'all

2017-10-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

I have Janyne, Jim, and Ann-Marie; am I missing anyone?

2017-10-10 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

That's all from Manateeland. I believe Anne will be on site as well though.

I'm staying near the finish line. I thought walking in the morning sounded better to me that walking afterward. Right now, I am planning to go one of the briefings on Friday. I was thinking morning but I'd like to get in a short bike ride and do check-in as well. Also, Kevin offered to drive the course with me. I'm sure that Kevin will want to get on his mtb as well...

2017-10-10 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm staying near the finish line. I thought walking in the morning sounded better to me that walking afterward. Right now, I am planning to go one of the briefings on Friday. I was thinking morning but I'd like to get in a short bike ride and do check-in as well. Also, Kevin offered to drive the course with me. I'm sure that Kevin will want to get on his mtb as well...

I know this will be a shock to all of you... but the IM app was NOT accurate on race day.  At one point coach reached out to DH because the IM app was showing me going half my normal pace on the bike. DH used both the IM app and the BAT tracker to get a better picture of my location. The BAT had a big dead spot on the southern part of the bike loop.

2017-10-10 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

i picked the finish line too as I'm sure I will need a very close hotel or I was going to have  have my Sherpa pump some iron so she could carry me back!!

im arriving Thursday , probably early as I will be coming from Nashville, so I will probably do athlete check in Thursday and briefing Friday plus drive the course. After that we shall see!

i have rented the beacon tracker so my sherpa ano family can see exactly where I am on the course, rather than just waiting for IM updates when/if I cross timing mats. I've told them if I remember to grab it and turn it on after the swim they should see it moving. After that, if it shows me in one place for an hour or more that means I'm curled up in a ball on the side of the course!

ill try to remember to post the beacon link here for anyone who has nothing to do Sunday!

2017-10-10 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

i picked the finish line too as I'm sure I will need a very close hotel or I was going to have  have my Sherpa pump some iron so she could carry me back!!

im arriving Thursday , probably early as I will be coming from Nashville, so I will probably do athlete check in Thursday and briefing Friday plus drive the course. After that we shall see!

i have rented the beacon tracker so my sherpa ano family can see exactly where I am on the course, rather than just waiting for IM updates when/if I cross timing mats. I've told them if I remember to grab it and turn it on after the swim they should see it moving. After that, if it shows me in one place for an hour or more that means I'm curled up in a ball on the side of the course!

ill try to remember to post the beacon link here for anyone who has nothing to do Sunday!

Seth, the beacon guy, gave me to 3X5 cards to put in my T1 and T2 bags to remind be to put the beacon on in T1 and to transfer it to my run clothes in T2. That was super helpful because I was worried about forgetting it. (I think I did almost forget to turn it on in T1 but did it as I ran to the mount line)

2017-10-10 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Seth, the beacon guy, gave me to 3X5 cards to put in my T1 and T2 bags to remind be to put the beacon on in T1 and to transfer it to my run clothes in T2. That was super helpful because I was worried about forgetting it. (I think I did almost forget to turn it on in T1 but did it as I ran to the mount line)

good idea!

2017-10-10 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know this will be a shock to all of you... but the IM app was NOT accurate on race day.  At one point coach reached out to DH because the IM app was showing me going half my normal pace on the bike. DH used both the IM app and the BAT tracker to get a better picture of my location. The BAT had a big dead spot on the southern part of the bike loop.

The web app was totally messed up. The mobile app seemed to be more on track.

2017-10-10 11:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

The mobile app was inaccurate when I did LP 70.3, giving my worrywart husband conniptions thinking something happened to me on the bike.  It didn't give any updates on the bike beyond the first one and had a very wrongly estimated bike time based on the one split it did have.

2017-10-10 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The mobile app was inaccurate when I did LP 70.3, giving my worrywart husband conniptions thinking something happened to me on the bike.  It didn't give any updates on the bike beyond the first one and had a very wrongly estimated bike time based on the one split it did have.

I guess its good that Kevin is used to not having a tracker at all! Vineman and B2B did not have trackers.  Well, the second time that I did B2B it had like one split but I don't think Kevin really looked at it. He gets a note from me that says I should be in T1 at x:xx. I should be in T2 between x:xx and x:xx.  I hope to finish between x:xx and x:xx.

2017-10-10 7:41 PM

User image

Expert

I guess its good that Kevin is used to not having a tracker at all! Vineman and B2B did not have trackers.  Well, the second time that I did B2B it had like one split but I don't think Kevin really looked at it. He gets a note from me that says I should be in T1 at x:xx. I should be in T2 between x:xx and x:xx.  I hope to finish between x:xx and x:xx.

My wife is going to rent the GPS tracker on site. Last year she just used the IM app and didn't have accurate timing until I was on the run. She was a little freaked because it didn't show me out of the water until almost an hour after I exited.
I will do a Friday afternoon check in and athletes meeting at 2:00. Saturday I will do the practice swim at 8:00, so we have the rest of the day to sight see. I didn't get to see the Louisville Slugger museum last year.
The Muhammad Ali center is super cool. It is a must see, before Church Hill downs (unless you are a horse person).
2017-10-10 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
a long over due check in - This has been a busy year with a new job (26weeks in training), new house (built a new deck + the requisite fixes and updates to make it ours) and as a result pretty much no activity, I have been out whitewater kayaking one weekend, and running and biking have been spotty at best. I am trying to get back to a routine but the rotating 12hr shifts when I am not in training is somewhat challenging. I do try to stick in a run at work when I can (4am runs!) and am trying to get back on the wagon during this 6 week block of training which gives me a regular 8-4'ish M-F schedule. I am trying to think of a plan for next year - I am unsure if I just want to focus biking alone or if I want to throw trail running into the mix.

New bike update - I picked up a hardtail frame earlier in the spring and built it up as a single speed. It is a real challenge as I am always in the "wrong gear" so I really have to work on keeping a good flow to maintain speed and inertia through varied terrain and short hills. I hope it will make me a better biker technically and I know for sure that I can go out on a 45min ride in the woods by my house and come back feeling as though I have put in a decent work out. Since building it up I havent touched my other 3 bikes so its fair to say that I like it

Edited by DaveL 2017-10-10 9:11 PM

(RockySS.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
RockySS.JPG (790KB - 4 downloads)
2017-10-11 2:04 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Good luck to all the racers this weekend.Is anyone having any problems with Zwift syncing with Strava/Training Peaks lately? I had to DL my rides from Zwift yesterday and UL to TP manually. It wouldn't let me UL manually to Strava or BT afterwards because both files were corrupted(or words to that effect), nor did Taparik transfer over from TP to the others.

2017-10-11 10:19 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL a long over due check in - This has been a busy year with a new job (26weeks in training), new house (built a new deck + the requisite fixes and updates to make it ours) and as a result pretty much no activity, I have been out whitewater kayaking one weekend, and running and biking have been spotty at best. I am trying to get back to a routine but the rotating 12hr shifts when I am not in training is somewhat challenging. I do try to stick in a run at work when I can (4am runs!) and am trying to get back on the wagon during this 6 week block of training which gives me a regular 8-4'ish M-F schedule. I am trying to think of a plan for next year - I am unsure if I just want to focus biking alone or if I want to throw trail running into the mix. New bike update - I picked up a hardtail frame earlier in the spring and built it up as a single speed. It is a real challenge as I am always in the "wrong gear" so I really have to work on keeping a good flow to maintain speed and inertia through varied terrain and short hills. I hope it will make me a better biker technically and I know for sure that I can go out on a 45min ride in the woods by my house and come back feeling as though I have put in a decent work out. Since building it up I havent touched my other 3 bikes so its fair to say that I like it

Nice looking ride!

2017-10-11 10:20 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Good luck to all the racers this weekend.Is anyone having any problems with Zwift syncing with Strava/Training Peaks lately? I had to DL my rides from Zwift yesterday and UL to TP manually. It wouldn't let me UL manually to Strava or BT afterwards because both files were corrupted(or words to that effect), nor did Taparik transfer over from TP to the others.

I can't help you with that but it's nice to see you around!

2017-10-11 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 14-15
TJ - Old Glory Relay (Thursday the 12th)
Kristen - Around the Lake Give'r Take 30 run on Saturday
Melanie - Save a Warrior 5k on Saturday
Jim - IM Louisville on Sunday (2331)
Ann-Marie - IM Louisville on Sunday (1292)
Janyne - IM Louisville on Sunday (1251)

Is anyone else racing?

2017-10-11 12:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

October 14-15
TJ - Old Glory Relay (Thursday the 12th)
Kristen - Around the Lake Give'r Take 30 run on Saturday
Melanie - Save a Warrior 5k on Saturday
Jim - IM Louisville on Sunday (2331)
Ann-Marie - IM Louisville on Sunday (1292)
Janyne - IM Louisville on Sunday (1251)

Is anyone else racing?

WOOOOOOO big racing crowd this weekend!

IMLOU peeps, can you post your race numbers? I don't know everyone's last names to properly stalk 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44