BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-16 2:21 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Hey manatees, thanks for the good wishes, sorry I had to tap out before starting the second loop on the run  I don't know if you saw the weather, but we had a front come through yesterday, wind was crazy ; not sure what the sustained were for sure, but I was told about 25 with gust to 35.  wind was all day, even on the swim. It got worse on the bike and when the front really moved through it rained and temps drops. I got hyperthermia on the bike. I was shivering and couldn't stop. My feet lost all feeling, so did my hands. In fact, I couldn't shift gears 1 handed and even using 2 was difficult, taking multiple minutes. After finally finishing the bike, I needed a volunteer to basically dress me for the run! She had to take off my helmet, put on my arm warmers and help me get into my running shorts. I spent extra time in the changing tent trying to stop shivering. Finally got on the Run and had a decent first mile, but then things started to go down hill. My back started seizing up cramping. So, I resorted to a very haphazard run- walk. Then my hamstrings started cramping, so walks got longer. I couldn't take in nutrition which I was probably already behind with the extra work on the bike and extra burn from shivering. The last few miles on the first loop were all walking. Of course, it got dark and the winds were still blowing, so I started shivering again. When I tapped out my body was shaking uncontrollably.  I was sooo cold. I needed the volunteers to take off my chip, they gave me gloves and my friend who was sherpaing  put me in a warm jacket. Thankfully, the hotel was very close. Back at it I was wrapped in a comforter, the bathroom heated up and eventually I was able to stop shivering long enough to get in.  My hands were still frozen after the long shower.

im very disappointed my race ended the way it did and second guess my decision to abandon it- i probabably could have walked the seond loop and still made the cut off- had I just been dealing with back spasms and cramping hamstring, but With the hyperthermia I think I was headed toward the medical tent. 

Congrats to Janyne and Jim for an awesome race!! 

2017-10-16 6:13 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by amd723

Hey manatees, thanks for the good wishes, sorry I had to tap out before starting the second loop on the run  I don't know if you saw the weather, but we had a front come through yesterday, wind was crazy ; not sure what the sustained were for sure, but I was told about 25 with gust to 35.  wind was all day, even on the swim. It got worse on the bike and when the front really moved through it rained and temps drops. I got hyperthermia on the bike. I was shivering and couldn't stop. My feet lost all feeling, so did my hands. In fact, I couldn't shift gears 1 handed and even using 2 was difficult, taking multiple minutes. After finally finishing the bike, I needed a volunteer to basically dress me for the run! She had to take off my helmet, put on my arm warmers and help me get into my running shorts. I spent extra time in the changing tent trying to stop shivering. Finally got on the Run and had a decent first mile, but then things started to go down hill. My back started seizing up cramping. So, I resorted to a very haphazard run- walk. Then my hamstrings started cramping, so walks got longer. I couldn't take in nutrition which I was probably already behind with the extra work on the bike and extra burn from shivering. The last few miles on the first loop were all walking. Of course, it got dark and the winds were still blowing, so I started shivering again. When I tapped out my body was shaking uncontrollably.  I was sooo cold. I needed the volunteers to take off my chip, they gave me gloves and my friend who was sherpaing  put me in a warm jacket. Thankfully, the hotel was very close. Back at it I was wrapped in a comforter, the bathroom heated up and eventually I was able to stop shivering long enough to get in.  My hands were still frozen after the long shower.

im very disappointed my race ended the way it did and second guess my decision to abandon it- i probabably could have walked the seond loop and still made the cut off- had I just been dealing with back spasms and cramping hamstring, but With the hyperthermia I think I was headed toward the medical tent. 

glad you checked in and are ok now - we were all worried

Sounds like mother nature was testing everyone's limits. Don't second guess yourself. You made the right call for you.

So for now you completed an ironaquabike and you'll go back and get the whole thing another time......perhaps next year in CHOO!

2017-10-16 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes--it sounds like you made the right decision (actually, more like your body was making it for you) and at the very least probably spared yourself the med tent, injury from falling or spasms, and prolonged recovery. The cold/wet/exhausted combo is not something to be messed with--fatigue makes hypothermia worse (no energy/fuel left to keep warm) and vice versa (wearing oneself out shivering). Every year in Oregon, hikers and climbers die of that combo, sometimes in temps that on paper don't even seem that cold--no different from your situation, just in a less controlled setting where there was no option to go inside and warm up, and maybe no one to help them out. Maybe come to SE Asia for your next event? I can pretty much guarantee you will not get hypothermia! IM Malaysia is in November....
2017-10-16 8:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Sounds like living to fight another day was absolutely the right call. Congrats on a great effort and overcoming obstacles for as long as you did. Very few people would have made it as long/far as you did under the conditions. Good idea to listen to your body when it's telling you it's in trouble.
2017-10-16 8:47 AM

User image

Ann-Marie, please don't second guess your decision. (I've been doing that since Boulder 70.3 so I really shouldn't talk, haha) Your body made the choice for you. If you would have continued the hypothermia would have gotten worse.

You had a great race in bad conditions and you fought for every mile you covered!
2017-10-16 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Thanks all! It’s hard not to second guess after you are warm and feeling good! Saw the winds were up to 45 mph, I knew they were bad! So awesome that Janyne and Jim handled that kind of weather so well! I guess I need practice in cold weather and wind!!

2017-10-16 9:29 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, Ann-Marie, what a rough day!  You were very wise to bow out prior to the second loop.  You are very much an IronManatee in my book for even facing the challenge of a 140.6, then throwing in the unkind conditions the weather and day presented to you yesterday, wow.  Take care, rest, heal.

2017-10-16 9:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723 Thanks all! It’s hard not to second guess after you are warm and feeling good! Saw the winds were up to 45 mph, I knew they were bad! So awesome that Janyne and Jim handled that kind of weather so well! I guess I need practice in cold weather and wind!!

That is just crazy!!!  Wow!!

2017-10-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IronOx

TJ and Melanie, hope you had good races.

Mine was more of a run than race   My longest run since my HIM in July has been 13km and the race was 30....was having cuboid syndrome issues so run volume was down.  We just decided it would be run and then drink beer.  17km in and neither of us was sure we were going to finish, but we made it!  First half is super technical, with first 9km uphill.  Second half has some really good climbs, but nice trails.  Not a terrible way to spend a Saturday!

Kirsten - Trails in woods + friends + beer sounds like a very good day indeed, way to make a fun day out of it!

My race went pretty good for not running too consistently since LP 70.3.  Decent weather, a few friends, and supporting a very important, worthy cause made it a good day!

Edited by melbo55 2017-10-16 9:37 AM
2017-10-16 9:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats to Janyne and Jim!  Were you two running together for a little while?  It seemed that way from the tracker.

2017-10-16 9:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Wow, those winds sound awful! I can't imagine having to run a marathon after shivering through a LONG bike ride. As others have said, there's no question you made the right call. Jayne and Jim, congrats on finishing. I look forward to reading your race reports.

Anyone else follow/watch Kona this weekend? Was great to see a Canadian on the podium for the men this year

2017-10-16 10:32 AM

User image

Master

Glad you are okay, if disappointed.  Definitely the right call.  We have to take what the day gives us, even if it a shyte sandwich.  I have said it before...the accomplishment is being at the start line knowing you have done the work.  The fact that you started on the run already freezing is a testament to your strength.  As Adam said, live to fight another day!

2017-10-16 12:51 PM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Denver, CO
Hands, I was stalking and cheering for you all the way. I'm soooo proud of you and your persistence in the crappy conditions. I agree with Melanie: you ARE an Ironman. Hugs, friend.
2017-10-16 1:58 PM

Master
Northern IL

Sorry to see you had to drop, but very happy you had the sense to do so. Hypothermia is quite serious. Shivering can burn through energy stores fast so you would be down as you thought.

I'm guessing you'll have times you wished you finished the walk, I did with mine, but remember all this before kicking yourself. Heat gave me too many issues, a major one being asthma kicking in far more than I'd ever experienced. Limited to very shallow breaths as lungs just would not expand any more. Walking felt fine, aid stations would be ~1 mile apart, but with walking that's 15-20' at least. It wouldn't take much to turn much worse before I could get there. And that's just to the start of getting help. They're not an ER and may not have any sort of training for that. Different specifics here, but much the same concept for your situation.

2017-10-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Ann-Marie, I can only echo what the others have said. You made the right call. The condition you were in could have been horribly serious. You did great in crappy circumstances.

2017-10-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by brigby1

Sorry to see you had to drop, but very happy you had the sense to do so. Hypothermia is quite serious. Shivering can burn through energy stores fast so you would be down as you thought.

I'm guessing you'll have times you wished you finished the walk, I did with mine, but remember all this before kicking yourself. Heat gave me too many issues, a major one being asthma kicking in far more than I'd ever experienced. Limited to very shallow breaths as lungs just would not expand any more. Walking felt fine, aid stations would be ~1 mile apart, but with walking that's 15-20' at least. It wouldn't take much to turn much worse before I could get there. And that's just to the start of getting help. They're not an ER and may not have any sort of training for that. Different specifics here, but much the same concept for your situation.

Funny you mention asthma, I don’t have it, but I did have a few episodes where my throat closed and I couldn’t breathe, only could wheeze. I’ve never had that before and it was a bit scary not being able to take a real breath!

2017-10-16 3:27 PM

User image

Master

Funny you mention asthma, I don’t have it, but I did have a few episodes where my throat closed and I couldn’t breathe, only could wheeze. I’ve never had that before and it was a bit scary not being able to take a real breath!

That alone says you made the right decision! 

2017-10-16 8:53 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IronOx

That alone says you made the right decision! 

Amen.
I'm very glad you stopped too. As disappointed as you are by stopping you will recover without any long term effects on your ability to try again and more importantly your life and after all we do these things for "fund dn enjoyment" and because we are a bit topped in the head. They aren't a matter of life and death. But it very well could have been if you didn't stop. Ask Yanti what she has been through from the side effects of her hyperthermia in Japan and the resulting injuries from when she fell. It's been years since that happened and she still has issues. As disappointing as it is you totally made the right decision.

Now rest up, stay warm and when you are ready (if ever) make a plan to tackle another IM.
2017-10-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Ann Marie

First: It was great to meet you and Jaynyne. We had a great evening with you and Ethiopian food may become a new pre-race food for me.
Second: You made the right call. hypothermia is nothing to play games with with and the results of leaving it untreated, especially with the stress this race puts on your body, could be dangerous.
Third: The weather was brutal, and the more time spent on the bike created an even greater danger. I've heard as high as 45 mph wind gusts with rain at the end of the bike. Even though the rain had stopped for the run, you were already cold and wet, there was not coming back. Personally, I would rather have you alive, well and part of the group, as said previously, it was great to meet you.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-10-16 9:28 PM
2017-10-16 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Congrats to Janyne and Jim!  Were you two running together for a little while?  It seemed that way from the tracker.

No. My wife told me when I got out of transition that Janyne was right in front of me, but she is a rabbit and I couldn't catch her. At the turn around I was told that she was about 15 minutes in front of me, but again, she is a rabbit. At mile 16 I used the portapotty and my legs quit and I walked a lot of the second loop.
2017-10-16 11:36 PM

User image

Master

Oh man, I felt the cold just reading this! I'm so glad you stopped and got yourself warmed up. Sounds like you were on your way to more than a hot shower if you did! Big warm hugs!

Awesome work, Jim and Janyne!!

2017-10-17 9:42 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Pennsylvania

You guys had Ethiopian food at the Manatee Meetup?!?!  Now I'm even more jealous!!    Mmmm, injera...

2017-10-17 11:20 AM

User image

Expert

You guys had Ethiopian food at the Manatee Meetup?!?!  Now I'm even more jealous!!    Mmmm, injera...

That is why you never miss the chance to attend a Manatee Meetup, you never know what is going to happen!
2017-10-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

That is why you never miss the chance to attend a Manatee Meetup, you never know what is going to happen!

True! Meetup started with drinks and snacks at Janyne's hotel and proceeded to dinner at a great Ethiopian place where the owner pretty much told each of us what to have - and he was right!

2017-10-17 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The mind is a funny thing, it has already blocked my race pain and erased my vow never to try another IM! I'm now thinking about a redemption race.  Of course, as soon as I started thinking about it I got a pain behind my right eye- which is my tension pain place, so maybe I need to give this a bit more thought

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44