BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-12-06 7:29 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Oh Robin, I'm sorry to see this. Between you, Ben, Stacey, Ann-Marie, and on and on, it has been a brutal stretch of time here in Manatee land. I truly hope that all goes as well as it can and you can settle in to your new normal.

2017-12-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by fortissimo We got the dreaded call from the vet yesterday. Dug does have osteosarcoma. She believes they caught it really early as it was only in the inner layer of the bone. We've decided to have his leg amputated on Thursday. In a few weeks we will do a round of chemo and see how he reacts. If he does well then we'll go from there. We believe in quality over quantity so hopefully we'll have the projected 12 months with our goofball. He is limping more but he is still his same old self. My husband did meet with the surgeon today and he asked if doing chemo was the right choice. He said with a dog like Dug it was absolutely the right choice. That made us stop the second guessing on the decision. There have been a lot of tears here. The kids asked me why my husband looked so upset in the class before they had me so I told them. That led to about 45 8th graders crying which made me cry. Dogs and 8th graders. Darn things make you cry.
I'm so sorry Robin. I hope that the treatment plan that you and your vets has put together goes fantastically well and that you get heaps of quality time with Dug. If its any consolation it was 6th graders that made me cry last night. I was at a school graduation and they did a graduation in absentia for one of their classmates that passed away in a car accident last year. So there was a group of very brave 6th graders up the front trying desperately not to cry while the parents of the boy came to the stage and thanked the entire school community and especially their son's classmates for helping them to cope with their loss. It was wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time, but one of the joys of being a part of a small community school where they share each others triumphs and sorrows.

That made me tear up just reading it. How tough and heartbreaking!

2017-12-06 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo We got the dreaded call from the vet yesterday. Dug does have osteosarcoma. She believes they caught it really early as it was only in the inner layer of the bone. We've decided to have his leg amputated on Thursday. In a few weeks we will do a round of chemo and see how he reacts. If he does well then we'll go from there. We believe in quality over quantity so hopefully we'll have the projected 12 months with our goofball. He is limping more but he is still his same old self. My husband did meet with the surgeon today and he asked if doing chemo was the right choice. He said with a dog like Dug it was absolutely the right choice. That made us stop the second guessing on the decision. There have been a lot of tears here. The kids asked me why my husband looked so upset in the class before they had me so I told them. That led to about 45 8th graders crying which made me cry. Dogs and 8th graders. Darn things make you cry.

Oh I was hoping for different. We did get a really good year and a half with my kitty who had the same operation. After the recovery from the surgery, she leapt around and was pain free. I hope your Dug has the same or better outcome.

2017-12-06 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

{{hugs}}

It sounds like you have a great vet.

2017-12-06 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, Robin, I'm so very sorry to hear of Dug's diagnosis.  It does sound like the vet has confidence in the procedure and Dug's health/ability to recover from the surgery.  It's tough news to hear for sure, but remember dogs are great at healing and Dug sounds like he has a very strong will and spirit.  I will be keeping him and you in my thoughts tomorrow especially.  (((hugs)))

2017-12-07 12:58 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
SHOPPING ALERT!

50% off Hoka! Just bought a pair of Clifton 4!
ATHLETEFAM50

2017-12-07 1:05 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk SHOPPING ALERT! 50% off Hoka! Just bought a pair of Clifton 4! ATHLETEFAM50

Which site?

2017-12-07 7:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk SHOPPING ALERT! 50% off Hoka! Just bought a pair of Clifton 4! ATHLETEFAM50

Which site?

Hoka direct.

But I'm told it no longer works :/
2017-12-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh I forgot to tell you all about this really cool thing that happened when I was out running on Tuesday. I live in the outer suburbs of the city and there is a fair bit of bush land around. So I was running along the sealed road and in the bush land on the side of the road there was a kangaroo bounding along with me. He was a young roo and much faster than me but he would stop every now and then and wait for me to catch up with him and then head off with me again. It was really cool.

That is wonderful!! I would LOVE to see a roo, let alone run with one. I guess your new name is RooRunner

Roorunner-haha!!

Staceye that is so cool!

Ha. Did you hear a Singaporean guy got taken out by a roo on the IMWA bike course? (He's fine, I met him later, he DNF'ed but I accompanied his wife one of the last of the Mohicans to the finish line)

2017-12-08 9:57 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

And to our beloved Mana-furrees on the DL list, wishing you and your humans all the best. <3

It's continued to be a shockingly unbearable year for me. I can't wait for it to be over. Every day is worse than an Ironman with broken bones and lacerations. After Oscar died I didn't think the year could get any worse. It's continually gotten worse right up to and including today.

But I'm still here, still breathing, and still thinking often of the beloved Manatees.

2017-12-08 10:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Which site?

Hoka direct.

But I'm told it no longer works :/

Too bad, I got really excited when I saw this! I rotate between 3 different pairs of Hoka's (Vanquish/Clayton/Arahi) but I refuse to pay full price for them. Thankfully active.com does a pretty good job of discounting them every few months but just like bikes, I could always use another pair! I don't know about the rest of you but I did some pretty good damage between Black Friday/Cyber Monday. My house is full of new workout gear/accessories that I can't wait to use next season!

2017-12-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey all, a little BT info for those that care. Ron will be leaving. If you care to say goodbye, you can hit this thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=549422&posts=14&page=1

Also, some work is going on in the background for Manatee Madness for Morons, or some such thread. Stay tuned.

2017-12-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey all, a little BT info for those that care. Ron will be leaving. If you care to say goodbye, you can hit this thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=549422&posts=14&page=1

Also, some work is going on in the background for Manatee Madness for Morons, or some such thread. Stay tuned.

Wow, That is huge.

2017-12-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Which site?

Hoka direct. But I'm told it no longer works :/
Too bad, I got really excited when I saw this! I rotate between 3 different pairs of Hoka's (Vanquish/Clayton/Arahi) but I refuse to pay full price for them. Thankfully active.com does a pretty good job of discounting them every few months but just like bikes, I could always use another pair! I don't know about the rest of you but I did some pretty good damage between Black Friday/Cyber Monday. My house is full of new workout gear/accessories that I can't wait to use next season!

I don't know if you are a member of the website, but they have Hokas for about $120 right now. Not 1/2 price, but better than retail!  It is free to join, they just send you emails.  

2017-12-08 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

And to our beloved Mana-furrees on the DL list, wishing you and your humans all the best. <3

It's continued to be a shockingly unbearable year for me. I can't wait for it to be over. Every day is worse than an Ironman with broken bones and lacerations. After Oscar died I didn't think the year could get any worse. It's continually gotten worse right up to and including today.

But I'm still here, still breathing, and still thinking often of the beloved Manatees.

2017 has been a sucky year. Here's hoping 2018 is better for all!

2017-12-08 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, that's interesting! I wonder how, if at all, the site will change. 

I'm not sure what you mean about background work on the Manatee Mad Morons thread, but I look forward to seeing it (unless we're just starting a new thread, then I still look forward to it, but just not as much )

2017-12-08 12:45 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I'm not sure what you mean about background work on the Manatee Mad Morons thread, but I look forward to seeing it (unless we're just starting a new thread, then I still look forward to it, but just not as much )

heh!

I tend to follow the FB manatees and strava group more these days. Is that wrong? Does it make me a BT Traitor?
2017-12-08 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

heh! I tend to follow the FB manatees and strava group more these days. Is that wrong? Does it make me a BT Traitor?

If so, I'm a sort of traitor too-i haven't looked at the main forum in ages (other than the Ron leaving thread today), but I do still post all my workouts here and follow this thread.

2017-12-08 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10
Robin P - Jingle Belle Run on Saturday (weather permitting)
Blanda - 50 mile course for Tour of Guam on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

I'm happy to report that our DL Crew seems to be on the mend and that I know of no new additions to the list.

2017-12-08 3:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

I'm happy to report that our DL Crew seems to be on the mend and that I know of no new additions to the list.

Go Robin P (maybe)and Blanda!!

2017-12-08 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO MANATEE RACERS!!!

2018 will be awesome for you! Not much longer now!

2017-12-08 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

HINT: New mentor threads are coming.

2017-12-08 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

heh! I tend to follow the FB manatees and strava group more these days. Is that wrong? Does it make me a BT Traitor?

If so, I'm a sort of traitor too-i haven't looked at the main forum in ages (other than the Ron leaving thread today), but I do still post all my workouts here and follow this thread.

Me three. I hang out here.

2017-12-08 4:10 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Go Racers!!!
2017-12-08 9:31 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44