BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-12-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Dug update!

First, thanks everyone for the well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers. All were very much appreciated!

Dug had his surgery yesterday. A few hours after surgery, they took him outside to go potty and they said he walked on his three legs with no problems. We went to see him last night and it was such a relief to see him in good spirits it lifted a ton of weight of our shoulders.

My husband, Greg, ditched our last half of the day to go pick him up. Dug walked with the car with no problems. When I got home, Greg went to Costco to get Dug's prescriptions. Dug is still on some pretty good drugs so he's feeling good. He's wagging his tail and begged from some of my apple. While I was letting Jack outside, Dug climbed up onto the couch. So, basically Dug is back to normal!

The vet hospital we choose for Dug is amazing. They had us pay for the surgery before the surgery which is very understandable. When Greg picked Dug up, they refunded about $300 because they didn't need to do a procedure that they originally thought they would. They also told us to get Dug's prescriptions at Costco - Costco carried pet meds for less than half of what area vets charge. They've also called twice to see how he is and how we are.

I feel like we can breathe again for the first time since we first discovered he may have cancer.

2017-12-08 10:43 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by fortissimoDug update!First, thanks everyone for the well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers. All were very much appreciated!Dug had his surgery yesterday. A few hours after surgery, they took him outside to go potty and they said he walked on his three legs with no problems. We went to see him last night and it was such a relief to see him in good spirits it lifted a ton of weight of our shoulders. My husband, Greg, ditched our last half of the day to go pick him up. Dug walked with the car with no problems. When I got home, Greg went to Costco to get Dug's prescriptions. Dug is still on some pretty good drugs so he's feeling good. He's wagging his tail and begged from some of my apple. While I was letting Jack outside, Dug climbed up onto the couch. So, basically Dug is back to normal!The vet hospital we choose for Dug is amazing. They had us pay for the surgery before the surgery which is very understandable. When Greg picked Dug up, they refunded about $300 because they didn't need to do a procedure that they originally thought they would. They also told us to get Dug's prescriptions at Costco - Costco carried pet meds for less than half of what area vets charge. They've also called twice to see how he is and how we are. I feel like we can breathe again for the first time since we first discovered he may have cancer.
Yay!! Way to go Dug. They are so amazing, those fur creatures. Glad he is doing well and happy that you have such a great team caring for him.
2017-12-08 10:45 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Goooo racers!I signed my SIL up for a RnR virtual race series. Three 5 km runs in December and you get 4 medals, including a snowman snowglobe medal. ?? Hoping we will get to do some of the runs together.
2017-12-09 1:23 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry, have been AWOL for a while with end-of-term madness. So sorry to hear about all the fur kid issues. Me three (or six, or seven?) on sucky year. Nothing dramatic--my fur kids have been well, thank goodness (vet care isn't nearly the standard here that it is in developed countries) and parents doing as well as can be expected at nearly 80, but pretty much nothing has gone that well otherwise. I can't think of really anything positive or happy that's come out of the year, except just hanging in there. In terms of tri, having done so much training and having that go well, but pretty much all of my races go south one way or another, is pretty demoralizing. Just feel like all I do is work for no reward.....not just in sports! Plus no longer have "home" to go back to as family have left the town I've considered home for over 30 years.

On the plus side, I'm kinda sorta running again. Up to 25 minutes total of running. Taking it slowly as no one ever did figure out if it was a stress fracture/ reaction, ligament and/or joint issue, or both. So I have to assume it was a stress fracture (though I've never had one that I know of) and go on that more conservative timetable--not interested in breaking my foot. No discomfort when running or after, but am still having some swelling and tingling sensations later in the day; oddly, generally not on days when I've run. Easy running actually seems to loosen things up.

It's been one of those years when I'll be glad to see the back of it; sure I have lots of company with that.
2017-12-09 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10
Robin P - Jingle Belle Run on Saturday (weather permitting)
Blanda - 50 mile course for Tour of Guam on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

I'm happy to report that our DL Crew seems to be on the mend and that I know of no new additions to the list.

Good luck racers!

My race was cancelled and there was no way to get there anyway. 6 inches of snow here and 12 inches just up the road. We in the south just hunker down since there is black ice under that snow on the road. I'll get some treadmill time in and some walks with dog in snow. They may actually reschedule the race. That would be fun, since it is in a great location. Downtown Greenville, SC is a wonderful place. Google it.

2017-12-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

I'm happy to report that our DL Crew seems to be on the mend and that I know of no new additions to the list.

Good luck racers!

I need to start looking into virtual races. I am close to being partnered with my Irun4 buddy and need to get medals to send to her/him.

Edited by ceilidh 2017-12-09 9:34 AM

2017-12-09 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by fortissimo Dug update! First, thanks everyone for the well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers. All were very much appreciated! Dug had his surgery yesterday. A few hours after surgery, they took him outside to go potty and they said he walked on his three legs with no problems. We went to see him last night and it was such a relief to see him in good spirits it lifted a ton of weight of our shoulders. My husband, Greg, ditched our last half of the day to go pick him up. Dug walked with the car with no problems. When I got home, Greg went to Costco to get Dug's prescriptions. Dug is still on some pretty good drugs so he's feeling good. He's wagging his tail and begged from some of my apple. While I was letting Jack outside, Dug climbed up onto the couch. So, basically Dug is back to normal! The vet hospital we choose for Dug is amazing. They had us pay for the surgery before the surgery which is very understandable. When Greg picked Dug up, they refunded about $300 because they didn't need to do a procedure that they originally thought they would. They also told us to get Dug's prescriptions at Costco - Costco carried pet meds for less than half of what area vets charge. They've also called twice to see how he is and how we are. I feel like we can breathe again for the first time since we first discovered he may have cancer.

I am so very happy that Dug is doing so well! Made my day actually.

2017-12-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sorry, have been AWOL for a while with end-of-term madness. So sorry to hear about all the fur kid issues. Me three (or six, or seven?) on sucky year. Nothing dramatic--my fur kids have been well, thank goodness (vet care isn't nearly the standard here that it is in developed countries) and parents doing as well as can be expected at nearly 80, but pretty much nothing has gone that well otherwise. I can't think of really anything positive or happy that's come out of the year, except just hanging in there. In terms of tri, having done so much training and having that go well, but pretty much all of my races go south one way or another, is pretty demoralizing. Just feel like all I do is work for no reward.....not just in sports! Plus no longer have "home" to go back to as family have left the town I've considered home for over 30 years. On the plus side, I'm kinda sorta running again. Up to 25 minutes total of running. Taking it slowly as no one ever did figure out if it was a stress fracture/ reaction, ligament and/or joint issue, or both. So I have to assume it was a stress fracture (though I've never had one that I know of) and go on that more conservative timetable--not interested in breaking my foot. No discomfort when running or after, but am still having some swelling and tingling sensations later in the day; oddly, generally not on days when I've run. Easy running actually seems to loosen things up. It's been one of those years when I'll be glad to see the back of it; sure I have lots of company with that.

I will be glad to see the back of 2017! Just thinking about it, My husband has had 2 major shoulder surgeries, PIC line antibiotic treatments for 6 weeks, reinfected with lyme disease and radiation for recurring cancer. I had 2 hand surgeries. However, we are still here and "above the dirt" so all-in-all we are doing fine.

2017-12-09 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Dug update! First, thanks everyone for the well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers. All were very much appreciated! Dug had his surgery yesterday. A few hours after surgery, they took him outside to go potty and they said he walked on his three legs with no problems. We went to see him last night and it was such a relief to see him in good spirits it lifted a ton of weight of our shoulders. My husband, Greg, ditched our last half of the day to go pick him up. Dug walked with the car with no problems. When I got home, Greg went to Costco to get Dug's prescriptions. Dug is still on some pretty good drugs so he's feeling good. He's wagging his tail and begged from some of my apple. While I was letting Jack outside, Dug climbed up onto the couch. So, basically Dug is back to normal! The vet hospital we choose for Dug is amazing. They had us pay for the surgery before the surgery which is very understandable. When Greg picked Dug up, they refunded about $300 because they didn't need to do a procedure that they originally thought they would. They also told us to get Dug's prescriptions at Costco - Costco carried pet meds for less than half of what area vets charge. They've also called twice to see how he is and how we are. I feel like we can breathe again for the first time since we first discovered he may have cancer.

im so glad Dug is doing so well! Sounds like you have a great vet.

2017-12-09 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sorry, have been AWOL for a while with end-of-term madness. So sorry to hear about all the fur kid issues. Me three (or six, or seven?) on sucky year. Nothing dramatic--my fur kids have been well, thank goodness (vet care isn't nearly the standard here that it is in developed countries) and parents doing as well as can be expected at nearly 80, but pretty much nothing has gone that well otherwise. I can't think of really anything positive or happy that's come out of the year, except just hanging in there. In terms of tri, having done so much training and having that go well, but pretty much all of my races go south one way or another, is pretty demoralizing. Just feel like all I do is work for no reward.....not just in sports! Plus no longer have "home" to go back to as family have left the town I've considered home for over 30 years. On the plus side, I'm kinda sorta running again. Up to 25 minutes total of running. Taking it slowly as no one ever did figure out if it was a stress fracture/ reaction, ligament and/or joint issue, or both. So I have to assume it was a stress fracture (though I've never had one that I know of) and go on that more conservative timetable--not interested in breaking my foot. No discomfort when running or after, but am still having some swelling and tingling sensations later in the day; oddly, generally not on days when I've run. Easy running actually seems to loosen things up. It's been one of those years when I'll be glad to see the back of it; sure I have lots of company with that.

good news that you are able to do some running! 

2017-12-09 9:41 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!

My race was cancelled and there was no way to get there anyway. 6 inches of snow here and 12 inches just up the road. We in the south just hunker down since there is black ice under that snow on the road. I'll get some treadmill time in and some walks with dog in snow. They may actually reschedule the race. That would be fun, since it is in a great location. Downtown Greenville, SC is a wonderful place. Google it.

weather is so crazy! I was in downtown Greenville for the first time ever 3 weeks ago when I went to get Teddy. It is a really cool downtown. Friends live there and love running in the area. 

2017-12-09 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I will be glad to see the back of 2017! Just thinking about it, My husband has had 2 major shoulder surgeries, PIC line antibiotic treatments for 6 weeks, reinfected with lyme disease and radiation for recurring cancer. I had 2 hand surgeries. However, we are still here and "above the dirt" so all-in-all we are doing fine.

its amazing how many of us have had a craptastic 2017.Heres hoping 2018 is 180* different!

2017-12-09 10:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!

weather is so crazy! I was in downtown Greenville for the first time ever 3 weeks ago when I went to get Teddy. It is a really cool downtown. Friends live there and love running in the area. 

Yeah this weather...! Atlanta got dumped with snow, exceeding annual snowfall numbers in one day yesterday. I have no idea how I planned it so perfectly, but I didn't leave work till 3 p.m. and it took me less time to get home than normal. Others, who left at noon-1 p.m. sat on the roads for HOURS. Didn't help that all of the schools let out around the same time, which was exactly what happened 3 years ago in the infamous Atlanta Snowmageddon. It's not the SNOW, it's the TRAFFIC when you put millions of cars on the road at the same time. Feeling lucky I didn't get caught up in it!

I did lose power for a total of 14 hours, including overnight last night, but all is well now.

2017-12-10 8:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I hope that everyone had a great weekend.

E and I ran our first official trail event yesterday. It was 12k and between the hills and the sand it seriously kicked my butt but it was GREAT.
(I might even say epic, but I am restraining myself out of respect for Chris).

I did end up face down in the sand at one point. No damage done thankfully about from sore stomach muscles from laughing. I loved it so much I have been wondering if its possible to cancel all of the Disney plans and stay home because the next run in the series is on the same day as the Disney marathon. But alas it isn't so we will just have to wait until the end of January. Hopefully mum will be ready to join us for that one.

(sorry not sure why the picture is so big)

Edited by StaceyK 2017-12-10 8:44 PM

(trail run1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trail run1.jpg (324KB - 9 downloads)
2017-12-11 6:16 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

December 9-10

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!

Yeah this weather...! Atlanta got dumped with snow, exceeding annual snowfall numbers in one day yesterday. I have no idea how I planned it so perfectly, but I didn't leave work till 3 p.m. and it took me less time to get home than normal. Others, who left at noon-1 p.m. sat on the roads for HOURS. Didn't help that all of the schools let out around the same time, which was exactly what happened 3 years ago in the infamous Atlanta Snowmageddon. It's not the SNOW, it's the TRAFFIC when you put millions of cars on the road at the same time. Feeling lucky I didn't get caught up in it!

I did lose power for a total of 14 hours, including overnight last night, but all is well now.

crazy weather the last few days! Atlanta traffic is the worse, amazing that you had no trouble!

2017-12-11 6:16 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I hope that everyone had a great weekend. E and I ran our first official trail event yesterday. It was 12k and between the hills and the sand it seriously kicked my butt but it was GREAT. (I might even say epic, but I am restraining myself out of respect for Chris). I did end up face down in the sand at one point. No damage done thankfully about from sore stomach muscles from laughing. I loved it so much I have been wondering if its possible to cancel all of the Disney plans and stay home because the next run in the series is on the same day as the Disney marathon. But alas it isn't so we will just have to wait until the end of January. Hopefully mum will be ready to join us for that one. (sorry not sure why the picture is so big)

trail races are the best, glad you enjoyed yours!

2017-12-11 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thank you for the Dug update! I hope that he is continuing to be his amazing self.

2017-12-11 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I hope that everyone had a great weekend. E and I ran our first official trail event yesterday. It was 12k and between the hills and the sand it seriously kicked my butt but it was GREAT. (I might even say epic, but I am restraining myself out of respect for Chris). I did end up face down in the sand at one point. No damage done thankfully about from sore stomach muscles from laughing. I loved it so much I have been wondering if its possible to cancel all of the Disney plans and stay home because the next run in the series is on the same day as the Disney marathon. But alas it isn't so we will just have to wait until the end of January. Hopefully mum will be ready to join us for that one. (sorry not sure why the picture is so big)

Congratulations!

2017-12-11 10:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Such wonderful news, yay!!  Keep healing, Dug!   And thank heavens for the honest and good vet.

2017-12-11 10:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Those smiles say it all!!      Yup, time on the trails are great fun, especially with friends.  Congratulations!

2017-12-11 10:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad to hear you are easing back into running, hopefully your foot continues to heal.

2017-12-11 11:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Dug update!

First, thanks everyone for the well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers. All were very much appreciated!

Dug had his surgery yesterday. A few hours after surgery, they took him outside to go potty and they said he walked on his three legs with no problems. We went to see him last night and it was such a relief to see him in good spirits it lifted a ton of weight of our shoulders.

My husband, Greg, ditched our last half of the day to go pick him up. Dug walked with the car with no problems. When I got home, Greg went to Costco to get Dug's prescriptions. Dug is still on some pretty good drugs so he's feeling good. He's wagging his tail and begged from some of my apple. While I was letting Jack outside, Dug climbed up onto the couch. So, basically Dug is back to normal!

The vet hospital we choose for Dug is amazing. They had us pay for the surgery before the surgery which is very understandable. When Greg picked Dug up, they refunded about $300 because they didn't need to do a procedure that they originally thought they would. They also told us to get Dug's prescriptions at Costco - Costco carried pet meds for less than half of what area vets charge. They've also called twice to see how he is and how we are.

I feel like we can breathe again for the first time since we first discovered he may have cancer.

YAY!! So glad to hear he's on the road to recovery!

I bet everyone slept well that night
2017-12-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member

My baby puppy is one year old today

(Raven big Girl shot day.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Raven big Girl shot day.jpg (142KB - 9 downloads)
2017-12-12 9:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
Bronze member

(Raven big Girl shot day.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Raven big Girl shot day.jpg (142KB - 10 downloads)
2017-12-12 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Aww< Happy birthday Raven!!She's so cute!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44