BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-12-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by ceilidh

My baby puppy is one year old today

Happy birthday, Raven!

2017-12-12 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What a cutie!

Zoe said that she needs Treats and Snacks!

2017-12-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

What a cutie!

Zoe said that she needs Treats and Snacks!

Raven agrees!!!!!

2017-12-13 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Tomoko would say you need a gourmet dinner delivered in order to celebrate. And don't forget to put sauce on that chicken.

I recently signed up for a local meal delivery service that gives you 10 meals a week (lunch and dinner during the workweek). Actually would be happy if they could just handle dinner. This has immeasurably improved my evenings and my nutrition and that of many colleagues--I come home completely spent after a day of training and teaching and often just don't have the energy to make something healthy, much less tasty or interesting. I tend to under-eat at that meal simply because I'm too tired to deal with it. It's so nice just to throw it into the microwave and chow down. I'm sure this is much pricier in the US; here it's an affordable luxury and, for one person, probably cheaper than eating out a lot.

It was started by a nutritionist and body builder and is yummy, healthy, and, for what you get, really cheap. But the most enthusiastic consumer of this stuff has to be my little kitty. She is only six pounds and, at nearly five, looks and acts like a half-grown kitten, but she takes her food seriously. She will run to see each delivery, and, really, sometimes sits and waits until I give her a little sauce with her chicken or fish. (The medium-sized meals are not nearly enough for me in training, but the large are way bigger, probably intended for big male athletes, and we often have extra, plenty for supplemental little kitty feeding and leftovers to add to stir fries and such on the weekends.)
2017-12-13 6:56 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Tomoko would say you need a gourmet dinner delivered in order to celebrate. And don't forget to put sauce on that chicken. I recently signed up for a local meal delivery service that gives you 10 meals a week (lunch and dinner during the workweek). Actually would be happy if they could just handle dinner. This has immeasurably improved my evenings and my nutrition and that of many colleagues--I come home completely spent after a day of training and teaching and often just don't have the energy to make something healthy, much less tasty or interesting. I tend to under-eat at that meal simply because I'm too tired to deal with it. It's so nice just to throw it into the microwave and chow down. I'm sure this is much pricier in the US; here it's an affordable luxury and, for one person, probably cheaper than eating out a lot. It was started by a nutritionist and body builder and is yummy, healthy, and, for what you get, really cheap. But the most enthusiastic consumer of this stuff has to be my little kitty. She is only six pounds and, at nearly five, looks and acts like a half-grown kitten, but she takes her food seriously. She will run to see each delivery, and, really, sometimes sits and waits until I give her a little sauce with her chicken or fish. (The medium-sized meals are not nearly enough for me in training, but the large are way bigger, probably intended for big male athletes, and we often have extra, plenty for supplemental little kitty feeding and leftovers to add to stir fries and such on the weekends.)

I love meal deliveries! I used to have my weekday dinners delivered by a local company. I did it for a couple of years and then got tired of the meals. I thought of going back to them, but in the meantime I became a vegetarian and the options were not that great.  

Glad your kitty is getting in on the special food!

2017-12-13 9:47 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I've tried a few of the box-delivery companies out there. I enjoyed it, but definitely more expensive than just going to the grocery store. With those, you still have to chop and dice and actually cook. I did get some great recipe ideas that I still use in my rotation.

Last week for the first time I tried grocery delivery (via Instacart... they had a $20 off special at Aldi). OK that is slick. You do pay a delivery fee (free for the first two weeks, and annually $149, or between $5-10 each time if you are a la cart depending on demand) and a service fee for the driver. But if you live in an area like me where driving to the grocery store on a weeknight is a huge time suck, it's awesome. Unsure if I'll continue after the 2-week free delivery period, but it was pretty neat to schedule groceries to be delivered and timed to when I got home from work!

2017-12-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
We've done Omaha Steak for my in-laws, my MIL can't cook or grocery shop anymore because of the onset of vascular dimension (my daughters are so screwed 3 of 4 grandparents have had it). Also with the oldest in New Orleans being alone on Thanksgiving we sent her some meals. We have ordered several meals while we are visiting her over the Christmas break, just so she doesn't feel obligated to shop and we don't have to eat out every meal.
2017-12-13 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is the full meal deal, no assembly required. All you have to do is pop it in the microwave (unless it's a salad). They have meat, vegetarian, and vegan options. I get one meat (it's generally fish, with chicken or beef maybe once a week) and one vegan each day. (Eat meat but not really big on it., detest cheese) So far the taste has been pretty good. I think some people would get bored with it--it's very "healthy" looking, with a lot of ingredients repeated in different forms--red rice, black beans, pumpkin, local veggies, fish. But this is how I eat and cook anyway--I don't like fancy stuff and tend to eat the same basic things a lot. Decent deal at $5 a meal including delivery for the size I order--it's actually enough for about 12 meals if you use the left-overs.
2017-12-13 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner This is the full meal deal, no assembly required. All you have to do is pop it in the microwave (unless it's a salad). They have meat, vegetarian, and vegan options. I get one meat (it's generally fish, with chicken or beef maybe once a week) and one vegan each day. (Eat meat but not really big on it., detest cheese) So far the taste has been pretty good. I think some people would get bored with it--it's very "healthy" looking, with a lot of ingredients repeated in different forms--red rice, black beans, pumpkin, local veggies, fish. But this is how I eat and cook anyway--I don't like fancy stuff and tend to eat the same basic things a lot. Decent deal at $5 a meal including delivery for the size I order--it's actually enough for about 12 meals if you use the left-overs.

my meal delivery was the same thing- no assembly required, just heat and eat! Your program sounds a lot more vegetarian friendly!

2017-12-14 9:38 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner This is the full meal deal, no assembly required. All you have to do is pop it in the microwave (unless it's a salad). They have meat, vegetarian, and vegan options. I get one meat (it's generally fish, with chicken or beef maybe once a week) and one vegan each day. (Eat meat but not really big on it., detest cheese) So far the taste has been pretty good. I think some people would get bored with it--it's very "healthy" looking, with a lot of ingredients repeated in different forms--red rice, black beans, pumpkin, local veggies, fish. But this is how I eat and cook anyway--I don't like fancy stuff and tend to eat the same basic things a lot. Decent deal at $5 a meal including delivery for the size I order--it's actually enough for about 12 meals if you use the left-overs.
\

$5 a meal is definitely affordable and reasonable.  What a great service for you!

2017-12-14 4:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
One of the advantages of living in a developing country--food is pretty cheap! (Some restaurants aren't, though. For some of the Western places, you are paying Western prices. Brunch at my favorite cafe downtown is about $18. You do get a lot of really good food though. Buffets at the big hotels can be $50+. And some imported items are ridiculously expensive due to high import tax.

Basically, in terms of finances and day to day life, if your needs are simple and you don't require a lot of imported items for your survival and happiness, it's not a bad deal unless people or pets need specialized medical care. Then your options are pretty limited. Going to Singapore or Bangkok for people; for pets, there is one vet in the city with a bona-fide vet school qualification from England, and, I think, a new clinic with a Japanese vet. (The local vet degree is a junior-college certificate) If they don't have the answers, you'd be looking at flying a sick animal home, which airlines might not allow, or euthanasia, or just letting nature take its course. Just hope my fur kids can stay healthy.

2017-12-15 9:49 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by lisac957

I've tried a few of the box-delivery companies out there. I enjoyed it, but definitely more expensive than just going to the grocery store. With those, you still have to chop and dice and actually cook. I did get some great recipe ideas that I still use in my rotation.

Last week for the first time I tried grocery delivery (via Instacart... they had a $20 off special at Aldi). OK that is slick. You do pay a delivery fee (free for the first two weeks, and annually $149, or between $5-10 each time if you are a la cart depending on demand) and a service fee for the driver. But if you live in an area like me where driving to the grocery store on a weeknight is a huge time suck, it's awesome. Unsure if I'll continue after the 2-week free delivery period, but it was pretty neat to schedule groceries to be delivered and timed to when I got home from work!

I keep hearing about this..... How are they at choosing produce? So much of what we buy is just produce and meat and I get skeptical of letting someone else choose.
2017-12-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I keep hearing about this..... How are they at choosing produce? So much of what we buy is just produce and meat and I get skeptical of letting someone else choose.

My first/only experience was great! I ordered sweet potatoes, new potatoes, onions, plantain, grapes, carrots, celery, green peppers, jalapeno, green onions, dates, eggs, salmon, chicken breast and ground beef. Everything was great, but to be fair most of it is packaged up in bulk plastic trays and wrappings (maybe that's an Aldi's thing?) - even the green peppers in a pack of 3. They were beautiful though. You can put in specifics like for the plantains I requested "the browner the better". The only miss was I ordered a head of cabbage and got a head of iceberg lettuce. But I was refunded the money when I flagged it on the app.

Putting in another order this afternoon!

Edited by lisac957 2017-12-15 10:36 AM
2017-12-15 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17
Robin P - Wine 10k on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

December 15 is Matt's birthday

Be on the lookout for our 2018 thread.

2017-12-15 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

Go Robin P!

Happy birthday Matt!

2017-12-15 3:56 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

Go Robin! Have fun! Have wine!

Happy birthday Matt

2017-12-15 4:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

Wine 10K, wooooo!  Good luck and enjoy!

2017-12-17 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

I have determined that I am at "races" to make everyone else feel FAST! I was 10 out of 10 for my age group. (I'm a 10! I'm a 10!). It was a good race, but the "celebration" at the end was rather lame. They get a pass since it was a first time event, and even for me, wine at 9-10 am is not a thing. Outside of going backwards, there is not much else I can do than to get better from here

2017-12-17 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

I have determined that I am at "races" to make everyone else feel FAST! I was 10 out of 10 for my age group. (I'm a 10! I'm a 10!). It was a good race, but the "celebration" at the end was rather lame. They get a pass since it was a first time event, and even for me, wine at 9-10 am is not a thing. Outside of going backwards, there is not much else I can do than to get better from here

sorry the celebration was so lame, but at least you are a 10! Congrats!!

2017-12-18 8:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

December 16-17

Is anyone else racing?

sorry the celebration was so lame, but at least you are a 10! Congrats!!

Ha ha ha, what Hands said!

2017-12-18 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

It has been a while.   Thnking seriously about getting back into doing triathlons.  I still swim and bike. running is iffy now.  I turn 60 this March and do not like this getting older thingy.   How's tricks?

2017-12-18 4:19 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

It has been a while.   Thnking seriously about getting back into doing triathlons.  I still swim and bike. running is iffy now.  I turn 60 this March and do not like this getting older thingy.   How's tricks?

Hi Michael, good to see you.

Don't let turning 60 deter you. My mum turned 60 last year and she took up running. She ran her first marathon this year. You will be slower than you used to be and you might need to manage your training load a bit but hey at least you are still able to get up and do stuff.
2017-12-18 4:32 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Hey, MadMath, welcome back to the Mad Manatees!

2017-12-19 8:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

My first/only experience was great! I ordered sweet potatoes, new potatoes, onions, plantain, grapes, carrots, celery, green peppers, jalapeno, green onions, dates, eggs, salmon, chicken breast and ground beef. Everything was great, but to be fair most of it is packaged up in bulk plastic trays and wrappings (maybe that's an Aldi's thing?) - even the green peppers in a pack of 3. They were beautiful though. You can put in specifics like for the plantains I requested "the browner the better". The only miss was I ordered a head of cabbage and got a head of iceberg lettuce. But I was refunded the money when I flagged it on the app.

From Feb- Apr I work six days a week. So I emailed DH after I saw your post and said "why don't we sign up for this in the winter?" He said "No way, I like going to the grocery store."

WHO IS THIS MAN?! LOL

Generally we go together on the weekends but I think I would not really enjoy going by myself. Guess I got lucky
2017-12-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

From Feb- Apr I work six days a week. So I emailed DH after I saw your post and said "why don't we sign up for this in the winter?" He said "No way, I like going to the grocery store." WHO IS THIS MAN?! LOL Generally we go together on the weekends but I think I would not really enjoy going by myself. Guess I got lucky

Haha!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44