BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-12-19 9:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

School me on TV streaming options. (This may seem like a complete nonsequitor but (1) my mind went here because of Randee's comment about Instacart for the winter -- we may drop Hulu for the summer since we are not home much. Last year we dropped HBO when we started spending our free time outside on bikes. (2) It's December and I'm not exactly training much and I need to talk about something.

Current situation

• PS Vue (for "cable" channels)
  • Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

What do the rest of you do?

DH is ready to drop Netflix. I said, "But I have to finish Season 2 of The Crown first." We are planning to drop it in four weeks. My co-workers have alerted me that I should watch Stranger Things and Dark as well. Then I think that we can drop if for a year. My parents have been sponging off our account. They will not be happy.

What are the rest of you watching?

Stacey will laugh at me about this. We just finished The Kettering Incident (Amazon) and we are watching Rosehaven (Sundance/Vue). I have Fortitude (Amazon) in my list of stuff to watch as well. Oh, and if you can stand subtitles, check out Trapped (Amazon).

2017-12-19 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

School me on TV streaming options. (This may seem like a complete nonsequitor but (1) my mind went here because of Randee's comment about Instacart for the winter -- we may drop Hulu for the summer since we are not home much. Last year we dropped HBO when we started spending our free time outside on bikes. (2) It's December and I'm not exactly training much and I need to talk about something.

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

DH is ready to drop Netflix. I said, "But I have to finish Season 2 of The Crown first." We are planning to drop it in four weeks. My co-workers have alerted me that I should watch Stranger Things and Dark as well. Then I think that we can drop if for a year. My parents have been sponging off our account. They will not be happy.

Stacey will laugh at me about this. We just finished The Kettering Incident (Amazon) and we are watching Rosehaven (Sundance/Vue). I have Fortitude (Amazon) in my list of stuff to watch as well. Oh, and if you can stand subtitles, check out Trapped (Amazon).

I'm still using cable, but think when my current deal goes away will switch to PS Vue.  I also have Amazon via Prime and Netflix.  I have a list of Netflix shows I want to watch, but have never gotten around to ! The best tv series i've seen in a really long time is from Denmark, Borgen (sub titles, but a good dose of English is also spoken).  It is sort of like their version of the west wing, but better.  You can watch it via Amazon.  There are 3 seasons and I binged watched them all. That says a lot as I tire of shows quickly.  Another Danish show that is available to stream anywhere but the US (last I checked) is The Killing. There is an American version on Netflix. It's not bad, but after a season and a bit I forgot to go back to it.  I also liked the Michael Connolly series Bosch on Amazon. If you read his books, you should like the series.  I've just started Godless on Netflix. I haven't decided if I like it or not!

My list of Netflix shows I mean to try include: The RAnch, Alias Grace, Travelers, The Crown, Mindhunter, and Dear White People.

2017-12-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

I'm an old school TV watcher. We watch a few prime time series  and a couple of other things, Madam Secretary, NCIS, a few Food Channel shows and some ESPN. Note the absence of "The Bachelor". I have found that I am watching less and less TV. For every suggestion I get to watch this or that, I find more reasons to ride, or work in my garage, or hike or photograph or... Well, you get the picture. I'm probably not the best resource for you, since I say get the minimal cable package and move on. 

In related news I'm not sure when it happened, but I have become a grumpy old man.  Get off my lawn!

Edited by cdban66 2017-12-19 10:38 AM
2017-12-19 10:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

I'm still using cable, but think when my current deal goes away will switch to PS Vue.  I also have Amazon via Prime and Netflix.  I have a list of Netflix shows I want to watch, but have never gotten around to ! The best tv series i've seen in a really long time is from Denmark, Borgen (sub titles, but a good dose of English is also spoken).  It is sort of like their version of the west wing, but better.  You can watch it via Amazon.  There are 3 seasons and I binged watched them all. That says a lot as I tire of shows quickly.  Another Danish show that is available to stream anywhere but the US (last I checked) is The Killing. There is an American version on Netflix. It's not bad, but after a season and a bit I forgot to go back to it.  I also liked the Michael Connolly series Bosch on Amazon. If you read his books, you should like the series.  I've just started Godless on Netflix. I haven't decided if I like it or not!

My list of Netflix shows I mean to try include: The RAnch, Alias Grace, Travelers, The Crown, Mindhunter, and Dear White People.

I will have to check out Borgen and The Killing!

Alias Grace was interesting. I mean, I liked it but it's not at all fast moving.

I had The Crown on last night. Kevin was reading or playing with his iPad or something. He looked up and said, "Oh, is Margaret in trouble again?"  hahaha

2017-12-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

I'm an old school TV watcher. We watch a few prime time series  and a couple of other things, Madam Secretary, NCIS, a few Food Channel shows and some ESPN. Note the absence of "The Bachelor". I have found that I am watching less and less TV. For every suggestion I get to watch this or that, I find more reasons to ride, or work in my garage, or hike or photograph or... Well, you get the picture. I'm probably not the best resource for you, since I say get the minimal cable package and move on. 

In related news I'm not sure when it happened, but I have become a grumpy old man.  Get off my lawn!

Most of those shows are on past my bedtime

2017-12-19 11:15 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

Janyne knows this, but I work for a cable company so am a big proponent of getting everything you need bundled with your service provider - but I promise I won't preach to you guys 

But, I am also a big college basketball fan, so I enjoy having the ESPN channels, regional sports channels and all of that from November through April. I have a few guilty pleasure network shows like Big Brother and The Bachelor - all though I'm not sure I"ll be watching Arie in January - terrible pick. I've never paid for premium channels, but when I got them for free, I really enjoyed Big Little Lies on HBO. Without an employee discount though, I just can't justify paying for channels I'll watch once every other year. As for Netflix (pricing is increasing to $10.99 in January just FYI), I've recently gone through Master of None, Ozark and Easy. Need to re-watch The Crown season 1 as I tried to last winter on the treadmill but it was too "quiet" of a show to hear over my thumping feet.

As a single gal with lots of time on my hands, I appreciate the value of cable TV and Netflix...not everyone will feel the same.

2017-12-19 11:37 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

as soon as MLB and NFL figure out how to license their products online I'm dropping cable like a bad habit. DH LOVES NFL redzone - and cable is the only place to get it. We're held hostage. I just don't watch tv anymore.

I generally only watch Netflix and Amazon - and HBO GO.

FYI another great show on Amazon prime is the Marvelous Mrs Maisel! Loved it. Ann Marie did you see Travelers is starting again soon? WOOT! I loved most of season 1 - the end got a little weird. I hope season 2 is good.

Just started the crown on Netflix
2017-12-19 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

Janyne knows this, but I work for a cable company so am a big proponent of getting everything you need bundled with your service provider - but I promise I won't preach to you guys 

But, I am also a big college basketball fan, so I enjoy having the ESPN channels, regional sports channels and all of that from November through April. '

Yeah, we'll be watcingh a lot of BTN between now and April (Boiler up!) and we also watch hockey and, of course, ACC basketball.  One day NCSU will be good again. Maybe.

I have a few guilty pleasure network shows like Big Brother and The Bachelor - all though I'm not sure I"ll be watching Arie in January - terrible pick. I've never paid for premium channels, but when I got them for free, I really enjoyed Big Little Lies on HBO. Without an employee discount though, I just can't justify paying for channels I'll watch once every other year. As for Netflix (pricing is increasing to $10.99 in January just FYI), I've recently gone through Master of None, Ozark and Easy. Need to re-watch The Crown season 1 as I tried to last winter on the treadmill but it was too "quiet" of a show to hear over my thumping feet.

As a single gal with lots of time on my hands, I appreciate the value of cable TV and Netflix...not everyone will feel the same.

I made the mistake of reading Big Little Lies and then immediately watching it. (1) The book was better, (2) why did Reese Witherspoon even buy the rights to the book if she wasn't going to follow the plot basically at all? (3) Totally disagree with the casting. While I like Nicole Kidman well enough, totally did not mesh with the book (see #2).

Edited by jmkizer 2017-12-19 12:10 PM
2017-12-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

as soon as MLB and NFL figure out how to license their products online I'm dropping cable like a bad habit. DH LOVES NFL redzone - and cable is the only place to get it. We're held hostage. I just don't watch tv anymore. I generally only watch Netflix and Amazon - and HBO GO. FYI another great show on Amazon prime is the Marvelous Mrs Maisel! Loved it. Ann Marie did you see Travelers is starting again soon? WOOT! I loved most of season 1 - the end got a little weird. I hope season 2 is good. Just started the crown on Netflix

Another show I started to watch and then forgot to keep going! This time I blame having a puppy in the house -my tv watching is all thrown off! I haven't actually seen the travelers yet, but it is on my list!

2017-12-19 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

But, I am also a big college basketball fan, so I enjoy having the ESPN channels, regional sports channels and all of that from November through April. '

Yeah, we'll be watcingh a lot of BTN between now and April (Boiler up!) and we also watch hockey and, of course, ACC basketball.  One day NCSU will be good again. Maybe.

I have a few guilty pleasure network shows like Big Brother and The Bachelor - all though I'm not sure I"ll be watching Arie in January - terrible pick. I've never paid for premium channels, but when I got them for free, I really enjoyed Big Little Lies on HBO. Without an employee discount though, I just can't justify paying for channels I'll watch once every other year. As for Netflix (pricing is increasing to $10.99 in January just FYI), I've recently gone through Master of None, Ozark and Easy. Need to re-watch The Crown season 1 as I tried to last winter on the treadmill but it was too "quiet" of a show to hear over my thumping feet.

I made the mistake of reading Big Little Lies and then immediately watching it. (1) The book was better, (2) why did Reese Witherspoon even buy the rights to the book if she wasn't going to follow the plot basically at all? (3) Totally disagree with the casting. While I like Nicole Kidman well enough, totally did not mesh with the book (see #2).

I just finished watching Big Little Lies. I liked it ok and will probably watch the second season. I didn't read the book, but agree with questioning why people buy the right' s to successful books and then mess them up! I understand some things have to be changed to fit in the format, but often they totally ruin the story. 

2017-12-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

But, I am also a big college basketball fan, so I enjoy having the ESPN channels, regional sports channels and all of that from November through April. I have a few guilty pleasure network shows like Big Brother and The Bachelor - all though I'm not sure I"ll be watching Arie in January - terrible pick. I've never paid for premium channels, but when I got them for free, I really enjoyed Big Little Lies on HBO. Without an employee discount though, I just can't justify paying for channels I'll watch once every other year. As for Netflix (pricing is increasing to $10.99 in January just FYI), I've recently gone through Master of None, Ozark and Easy. Need to re-watch The Crown season 1 as I tried to last winter on the treadmill but it was too "quiet" of a show to hear over my thumping feet.

Lisa, I've heard too much about this guy to even bother. His actual history for the past 5 years is a bit slimy for my taste. Yes, too slimy for "The Bachelor", if that's possible. Lucky for him, he has already turned this into sponsor-ships for his racing career, so big win for him. 

2017-12-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by cdban66

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

Lisa, I've heard too much about this guy to even bother. His actual history for the past 5 years is a bit slimy for my taste. Yes, too slimy for "The Bachelor", if that's possible. Lucky for him, he has already turned this into sponsor-ships for his racing career, so big win for him. 

Proof of life and weighing in on TV options!

I cut the cable a couple of years ago. My setup is Netflix and a $20 antenna that does a pretty good job of pulling in all of the networks here in Raleigh. That'll get you a lot of regional sports (ACC all sports & SEC football). I also have Prime via Amazon but rarely use it. I've supplemented in the past with Hulu and also Sling TV (which can get you several cable channels) and HBO (which is pricey but, come on, Game of Thrones).

My kids and millennial wife have gotten me into YouTube much more this year. I stream it on TV using my Roku and I've been more impressed and entertained with the options out there than I would have ever thought. No matter how niche your interests, there is someone making YouTube videos on it. YouTube - not just for cat videos anymore.

2017-12-19 2:26 PM

User image

I'm not a TV watcher, but I watched the entire first season of The Killing in two days last Winter Break.
2017-12-19 2:29 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo I'm not a TV watcher, but I watched the entire first season of The Killing in two days last Winter Break.

It sounds like I have a winter break project!

2017-12-19 5:00 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Originally posted by fortissimo

I'm not a TV watcher, but I watched the entire first season of The Killing in two days last Winter Break.

Oh man, "The Killing" was awesome! Also highly recommend Stranger Things and another should out for The Crown (have only seen Season 1). The wife and I also like Billions, Ray Donovan and Game of Thrones. We have a lot of channels and although since baby #2 arrived our TV time has basically become non-existent, every now and then we get hooked on a show and bang through it pretty quickly.
2017-12-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by fortissimo I'm not a TV watcher, but I watched the entire first season of The Killing in two days last Winter Break.
Oh man, "The Killing" was awesome! Also highly recommend Stranger Things and another should out for The Crown (have only seen Season 1). The wife and I also like Billions, Ray Donovan and Game of Thrones. We have a lot of channels and although since baby #2 arrived our TV time has basically become non-existent, every now and then we get hooked on a show and bang through it pretty quickly.

So both you and Ann-Marie are dealing with puppies! 

I shared the Manatee Watching Guide with Kevin and he said, "Well, maybe we'll keep Netflix for two months." haha! I can get through all of this. I'm motivated (and somewhat sidelined).

2017-12-19 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

So both you and Ann-Marie are dealing with puppies! 

I shared the Manatee Watching Guide with Kevin and he said, "Well, maybe we'll keep Netflix for two months." haha! I can get through all of this. I'm motivated (and somewhat sidelined).

oops, I misspoke on where you can find Borgen. It’s on iTunes . First episode is free - at least when This story was written about it.

2017-12-19 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

You will laugh at me cause we only have free to air old school tv at our place. So no cable, no netflix, or any other pay for service TV. Phil's theory is that we spend too much time watching tv already we don't need an excuse to sit there for longer

Was the Kettering Incident good? I started to watch it on the plane last time I went away for work but I was too tired to stay awake. I have a considerable amount of flying time ahead of me in the next 3 weeks and so am thinking about downloading some stuff to watch.
2017-12-20 6:47 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Current situation

• Hulu
  • Amazon (through Prime)
  • Netflx

You will laugh at me cause we only have free to air old school tv at our place. So no cable, no netflix, or any other pay for service TV. Phil's theory is that we spend too much time watching tv already we don't need an excuse to sit there for longer Was the Kettering Incident good? I started to watch it on the plane last time I went away for work but I was too tired to stay awake. I have a considerable amount of flying time ahead of me in the next 3 weeks and so am thinking about downloading some stuff to watch.

I liked The Kettering Incident. Pretty tense. Kevin said it reminded him of Lost in some ways. I've heard other people say that it was more X Files.

2017-12-20 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Sorry trying to post you a puppy pic but for some reason it isn’t working so you will just have to imagine it

Edited by StaceyK 2017-12-20 7:29 AM
2017-12-20 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Sorry trying to post you a puppy pic but for some reason it isn’t working so you will just have to imagine it

no fair, we need a puppy picture!

2017-12-20 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK Sorry trying to post you a puppy pic but for some reason it isn’t working so you will just have to imagine it

Ok let’s try this again

Nope its still posting as a link rather than a picture

Edited by StaceyK 2017-12-20 3:44 PM

Attachments
----------------
72FB4FBE-95E6-4C56-BD74-044DCDE66C0A.jpeg (3013KB - 22 downloads)
2017-12-20 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ok let’s try this again Nope its still posting as a link rather than a picture

OMG!, what a cutie!!

2017-12-20 3:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Ok let’s try this again Nope its still posting as a link rather than a picture

OMG!, what a cutie!!

Do you know why it's coming up as a link rather than the normal imbedded photo?
2017-12-20 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
2017 - the year of running.
Thanks for the great memories and the things that I learned about myself along the way. Thanks to the Manatees for sharing your knowledge and supporting "team turtle".
I'm looking forward to more great adventures in 2018.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-12-20 4:01 PM

(2017 running.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2017 running.JPG (37KB - 15 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44