BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-08-16 6:37 AM
in reply to: #5225979

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Congratulations, Melanie!! I want some kayaking in our races here. Sounds like a fun challenge!

It's so hard to reply to all like I want to through the phone. Grrrr.

I'm frazzled and not able to get out to do more than my lunch time gym stuff. School starts tomorrow and I'm just not feeling like we are ready. It's my youngest child's first day of middle school. First day of riding the bus to school. Aaahhhh!! She's just a baby!!! I swear I've put two kids through this. Why so hard?!

Anyway, that's the reason for the delay in tri training. John leaves for a short deployment on the 24th, so I'm thinking after all this hullabaloo I'll find that tri rhythm again.

Hope you guys are having a good week!

2017-08-16 8:24 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper Mini Bio I'm Tom 40 years old and live in Congleton England which is 25 miles south of Manchester. Ran and swam as a kid but then found beer and cigarettes which meant I did no form of exercise till about 2 years ago. Did my first 10k two years ago when I joined a new company and had to run it for charity with 4 weeks training. Even though it was painfull I really enojoyed it so carried on with running and got back into swimming, got my first bike 20 months ago as saw some people do a triathlon and thought if they can do it so can I. Did my first sprint triathlon last year and was supposed to do a 70.3 and olympic distance this year but fractured my collar bone at the end of April so that stopped that, getting back in to training now and plan to do them next year as differed entry. I am a member of running club (joined 2 months ago) love it as running some great routes that I never new existed, still praying that one day a run will be flat for the whole route! A member of a master swim group which is great as structed but god can I tell I haven't swam for a while as its been painful the last couple of times after 3 months out. I hope to do a full ironman in a couple of years as haven't got the time to commit just yet unless I want a divorce! I have been married to a great women called Nicola for the last 9 years and have two kids Guy 6 and Winter 4, love them to pieces but also want to strangle them at times! Love being part of the Manatees even if I don't comment as much as I should! I get great motivation on insight from all of you and love the strava feed seeing an insight into where everybody rides and runs. Well thats me!

It takes a while to train some SOs! Now, Kevin gets upset if my training plan doesn't have a ride on Tues/Thur because he wants to ride on Tues/Thur and it works better to coordinate meals if our schedules match!

How do you guys think that posting the Racing Manatees in both places has been working? Is it good or too much?

For those not on Strava, we have a Manatee group. The group makes it really easy to find (and follow!) each other on Strava and it can be good to get an overview of what folks are doing. I still go to everyone's BT log for the details but Strava is awesome for the overview. Plus Strava import seems to be less finky than the BT import ;-)

https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees

2017-08-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by tomsimper Mini Bio I'm Tom 40 years old and live in Congleton England which is 25 miles south of Manchester. Ran and swam as a kid but then found beer and cigarettes which meant I did no form of exercise till about 2 years ago. Did my first 10k two years ago when I joined a new company and had to run it for charity with 4 weeks training. Even though it was painfull I really enojoyed it so carried on with running and got back into swimming, got my first bike 20 months ago as saw some people do a triathlon and thought if they can do it so can I. Did my first sprint triathlon last year and was supposed to do a 70.3 and olympic distance this year but fractured my collar bone at the end of April so that stopped that, getting back in to training now and plan to do them next year as differed entry. I am a member of running club (joined 2 months ago) love it as running some great routes that I never new existed, still praying that one day a run will be flat for the whole route! A member of a master swim group which is great as structed but god can I tell I haven't swam for a while as its been painful the last couple of times after 3 months out. I hope to do a full ironman in a couple of years as haven't got the time to commit just yet unless I want a divorce! I have been married to a great women called Nicola for the last 9 years and have two kids Guy 6 and Winter 4, love them to pieces but also want to strangle them at times! Love being part of the Manatees even if I don't comment as much as I should! I get great motivation on insight from all of you and love the strava feed seeing an insight into where everybody rides and runs. Well thats me!

It takes a while to train some SOs! Now, Kevin gets upset if my training plan doesn't have a ride on Tues/Thur because he wants to ride on Tues/Thur and it works better to coordinate meals if our schedules match!

How do you guys think that posting the Racing Manatees in both places has been working? Is it good or too much?

For those not on Strava, we have a Manatee group. The group makes it really easy to find (and follow!) each other on Strava and it can be good to get an overview of what folks are doing. I still go to everyone's BT log for the details but Strava is awesome for the overview. Plus Strava import seems to be less finky than the BT import ;-)

I like Strava more and more - especially since BT has decided it doesn't really want to import my data and I have to do it manually 99.99% of the time. Plus, it is easier seeing what everyone is up to. BT is still good for reading people's blogs, so we know more than just what the workout numbers.  As far as posting racing manatees in both places - I'm good with it, but since you are doing all the heavy lifting I think you get to make the call if it is too much!!

2017-08-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by melbo55

Just remember to wash down your Moon Pies with RC cola or you aren't doing it the true Southern way.

Or a Yoohoo

Cheerwine is also acceptable.
2017-08-16 10:13 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awm007

Just remember to wash down your Moon Pies with RC cola or you aren't doing it the true Southern way.

Or a Yoohoo

Had to Google that one, it sounds good!  Surprisingly, it is possible to purchase it in PA.  Supposedly at Sheetz (convenience store) but I don't ever remember seeing it locally or at Cracker Barrel, which is well known for carrying Southern treats and 'old-fashioned' candies and gums.  I may need to visit Cracker Barrel to see if they have some but maybe Sheetz first since CB in in the middle of tourist driving hell.

2017-08-16 2:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Athlete guide and bib #s are posted for LP 70.3, gulp!  There are a crap ton of people in my AG, 255 to be exact!  I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm excited

2017-08-16 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Athlete guide and bib #s are posted for LP 70.3, gulp!  There are a crap ton of people in my AG, 255 to be exact!  I'm excited, I'm nervous, I'm excited

Things just got real!!

2017-08-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Things just got real!!

oh boy

2017-08-16 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like Strava more and more - especially since BT has decided it doesn't really want to import my data and I have to do it manually 99.99% of the time. Plus, it is easier seeing what everyone is up to. BT is still good for reading people's blogs, so we know more than just what the workout numbers.  As far as posting racing manatees in both places - I'm good with it, but since you are doing all the heavy lifting I think you get to make the call if it is too much!!

Training SOs = Herding Cats

I find Strava and BT are good for different things. I experimented with Strava's blogging, but never found a way that I liked. Granted, my experiment was tiny. Like Hands mentioned, BT is a better place for getting more personal depth and also for "meeting" different people. Strava works well for a quick check in of someone's training. Or lack there of in my case I think the race list being in more places is helpful, since some get info in one or the other. But I'm not the one working on the list build, so that is easy for me to say. In the interest of your time, one place or the other would be fine with me. We would adapt to whatever you decide, quite honestly.

2017-08-16 4:20 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by awm007

Or a Yoohoo

I was in NC several years back and a friend INSISTED I try it. OMG it's diabetes in a bottle! Blech LOL
2017-08-17 12:21 AM

User image

Master

Exciting!!

I like everything about Strava. Little shouts from Manatees are fun!

2017-08-17 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It'll be great!

2017-08-17 8:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Slightly off topic

What do you guys know about Yeti bikes and paint? Kevin's fancy pants mtb has paint that is peeling. The bike is ~3 years old. The paint is coming up the top tube (so no rubbing -- basically no contact). The bike is transported on a bike rack that holds the bike from the bottom (Thule T2). It's at the shop for a drop post cable replacement and the shop is going to contact Yeti about it. This just seems weird.

ETA: Carbon frame

ETA2: Bike is 2015 5B5C, rack is actually a Yakima Holdup 2.

Edited by jmkizer 2017-08-17 11:44 AM
2017-08-17 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Slightly off topic

What do you guys know about Yeti bikes and paint? Kevin's fancy pants mtb has paint that is peeling. The bike is ~3 years old. The paint is coming up the top tube (so no rubbing -- basically no contact). The bike is transported on a bike rack that holds the bike from the bottom (Thule T2). It's at the shop for a drop post cable replacement and the shop is going to contact Yeti about it. This just seems weird.

I have no information on Yeti bikes, but that seems like a fail for a roughly 3 year old bike! 

On a different note, how do you like the Thule T2? I have the standard bike rack where the bike rests on the rack's arms. I haven't had any issue with it, but it seems to move around more these days, so a new rack may be in my future (hopefully not near future!

2017-08-17 8:28 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Slightly off topic

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!!

And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.
2017-08-17 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Slightly off topic

I have no information on Yeti bikes, but that seems like a fail for a roughly 3 year old bike! 

On a different note, how do you like the Thule T2? I have the standard bike rack where the bike rests on the rack's arms. I haven't had any issue with it, but it seems to move around more these days, so a new rack may be in my future (hopefully not near future!

Yes, Kevin's pretty upset about the paint.

Yes, we like the rack. Let me confirm the specifics of it and post again. We had one brand (Yakima/Thule) and then switched brands. Nothing wrong with the other brand but I think that there was a 30% off sale and Kevin needed something *now* and then it was just easier to standardize on the other brand because the locks are interchangeable between different products in their line.  Also, Kevin has not taken is kayak out in approximately forever so not a lot of need for new kayak hauling gear. 

Anyway, we like the rack but Kevin leaves it on all the time and it's an issue getting Zoe in/out of the Forrester because the rack is in her way and if we fold down the seats and have her go through the back door, it's high for her to jump up.

2017-08-17 8:48 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Slightly off topic

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!! And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.

Bomb proof is right! Kevin was rear ended (no bikes involved!) and it did not hurt his car/hitch/bike rack but it did damage the other car.

2017-08-17 8:48 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm gonna have to check this out. Same for me, BT just stopped importing my data even though I have all of my settings correct and have re-set everything multiple times. 

2017-08-17 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Slightly off topic

ok so kind of related - back in the early to mid 2000s Titus had a HUGE problem with paint peeling from their bikes. Mine was one of them. They said there was a problem with the treating process in (surprise) China. It was a HUGE pr disaster and probably what eventually led them out of business. Having said that, back then Yeti was having some other frame issues and I know of at least 1 person who received a warranty frame. Yeti has lasted so I'm hoping for Kevin's sake their customer service is rock solid. My guess is, it is. Let me know what happens!! And Ann Marie I've had my T2 through 4 cars and going on 12 years. I just replaced some of the moving parts (ratcheting arm etc) but that rack is bomb proof.

Bomb proof is right! Kevin was rear ended (no bikes involved!) and it did not hurt his car/hitch/bike rack but it did damage the other car.

We also have the Thule and like the security and the solid-ness of it.

2017-08-17 11:41 AM

User image

More people to beat, that's awesome!
2017-08-17 11:43 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Kevin said that the rack is a Yakima Holdup 2.

PSA: REI will generally have a sale on bike racks around Labor Day.

2017-08-17 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Proof off Life Post. Dang Glad I made it to the new thread. I am sorry I missed so much.This is the longest I have been away from BT in a long, long time. I miss it. I really do. I miss finding out about folks on their logs. I am not training or doing anything related to tri and I feel adrift. I have been furiously spending my days trying to get all the projects done that I was going to do this fall as well as all the usual stuff that I do in the summer before my hand surgeries in September and October.  I fear I will not get a lot done. sigh. Then.... a sucker punch came out of the blue. We found out Jim's cancer is back. MOTHER F---ER!!!!!! We don't know how bad. He is going for a PET scan today. By all that is Holy to anybody, I hope it is just a teeny bit, localized and not other places. He cannot catch a break!!! I am terrified and trying not to be. I know he is as well.

We are headed to hang with friends in Charleston this weekend. Going to a Blessing of the Shrimp Boats party and watching the eclipse and helping our friend celebrate his new found freedom from work. It will be a nice distraction. No matter what we find out. I HAVE to take time to swim, bike, run, hike, paddle AND BT inspires. I can't help Jim kick cancer to the curb while being a slug.

2017-08-17 1:07 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook

More people to beat, that's awesome!

^^^^^^ That

2017-08-17 1:14 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Proof off Life Post. Dang Glad I made it to the new thread. I am sorry I missed so much.This is the longest I have been away from BT in a long, long time. I miss it. I really do. I miss finding out about folks on their logs. I am not training or doing anything related to tri and I feel adrift. I have been furiously spending my days trying to get all the projects done that I was going to do this fall as well as all the usual stuff that I do in the summer before my hand surgeries in September and October.  I fear I will not get a lot done. sigh. Then.... a sucker punch came out of the blue. We found out Jim's cancer is back. MOTHER F---ER!!!!!! We don't know how bad. He is going for a PET scan today. By all that is Holy to anybody, I hope it is just a teeny bit, localized and not other places. He cannot catch a break!!! I am terrified and trying not to be. I know he is as well.

We are headed to hang with friends in Charleston this weekend. Going to a Blessing of the Shrimp Boats party and watching the eclipse and helping our friend celebrate his new found freedom from work. It will be a nice distraction. No matter what we find out. I HAVE to take time to swim, bike, run, hike, paddle AND BT inspires. I can't help Jim kick cancer to the curb while being a slug.

Good to hear from you, but am really sorry to read about Jim's cancer.  Fingers crossed that it is "just" a minor event. I also hope your hand surgeries are nothing too serious! Yes, stay active as it can at least let you work out the angst! 

2017-08-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by lisac957

I'm gonna have to check this out. Same for me, BT just stopped importing my data even though I have all of my settings correct and have re-set everything multiple times. 

Hey maybe that's why my logs are empty too

If only that were the case

Edited by StaceyK 2017-08-17 5:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44