General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Age Group National Championship - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Omaha, Nebraska
United States
USA Triathlon
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 22s
Overall Rank = 756/1990
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 92/133
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:45. Took my morning constitutional, then ate some oatmeal, peanut butter, and a banana. Headed over to the shuttle, and made it to race site around 5:45. After setting up my transition, I checked in my gear bag, and scoped out the transition area. I tried to make eye contact with others in my age group and say a friendly good luck.

I did end up helping a guy inflate his tires by holding up his bike. He flew in from Austin, so it was nice to meet another Texan. Around 6:15, I head out for warm up.
Event warmup:

Easy 10 minute run. After I returned, I took a gel. By this point, USAT announced a delay in the start (because of course, right after I took my gel!).

I used the time to walk around, and think about the upcoming swim. My age group was the first to go, and we were afforded a warm up swim. Got in the water, and did some easy stuff.
Swim
  • 32m 1s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt really good in this swim. I used my competitors to sight (mostly), and the pace felt good. In retrospect, it might have been slightly too easy, particularly as the fastest women (who started 7 minutes after me) caught me. But, I didn't have any panic moments, and I felt fresh coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Get better at swimming. It might be a major focus this offseason.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I never practiced the flying mount, or starting with shoes clipped in. Given my injury history, I just didn't feel it was worthwhile. Also, I had no illusions that I'd be in contention for anything.

Regardless, I could have run with my bike better. Of course, after the race, I figured out a way to run with the bike in a much more stable way. Also, the route I took from my spot in transition to the bike out was not the best (and it had lots of ruts).

Ideally, learn to get into shoes while on the bike. Run with my hand on the stem. Scope out my routes to the bike out/in for things like terrain stability.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 44s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.11 km/hr
Comments:

I was very pleased with my effort. I finished feeling fresh enough for the run, but also felt like I had pushed things a bit. At the same time, I suspect that I've not trained at the right intensity, and that my perception of effort is off. I noticed that most of the folks who passed me were in a much harder gear than I was (I was in my fourth or fifth, most I saw were in 7-9). I probably need to use power or something more reliable, for my cycling is far slower as compared to my peers.

Also, I used gatorade instead of water. By the time I was on the bike, it was warm, and just tasted gross.

On the giant hill, I thought I'd get tagged with a penalty, as there ended up being a big pile up of folks. I saw the official taking notes. Fortunately, I wasn't penalized. That doesn't seem fair to anyone who got hit with one, at least on that particular stretch.

Not use gatorade. Cycling will also probably be a significant focus in the offseason, hopefully with power.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

This went okay. Again, I think if I actually work on transitions and getting out of shoes while moving, this could improve a lot.
Run
  • 42m 1s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 12s  min/km
Comments:

The first loop felt good, and I was close to on target for my pace. The second loop, though, I just didn't feel like I could push it a lot more. I made a point of taking a quick walk through the aid stations to get a splash of water. Maybe having water on the bike, instead of gatorade, would have been a help.

It's hard to say, as my splits were even to negative. I'd probably forego gatorade on the bike and stick with water. Also, some longer duration bricks with race-pace intensity would probably benefit me.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat around, ate a snow cone, and drank a gatorade and a water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My effort was good. My execution was pretty good. I think my swim technique probably needs work, and I need open water practice. I also suspect that my bike training needs to intensify a lot.

Event comments:

USA Triathlon put on an awesome event. There was a delay due to traffic congestion, but that was totally reasonable. They were good about announcing the delay and updates. Everything was organized, the course was not too crowded, and it was set up for a fast race.

There were a LOT of really good athletes here. It was a humbling experience for me. I had no illusions about my abilities, but to see the vast difference between the best and where I am was eye opening. This was a great race, and I hope to do it again in a few years when I've hopefully had a chance to improve my swimming and cycling.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:01 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 85/133
Overall: 1057/1990
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:44 | 40 kms | 32.11 km/hr
Age Group: 112/133
Overall: 1086/1990
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with one big hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:01 | 10 kms | 04m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 43/133
Overall: 290/1990
Course: Two loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-08-14 5:37 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: USAT Age Group National Championship

2017-08-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5226257

User image

Subject: RE: USAT Age Group National Championship
Congrats on a great race, especially your run! I agree it certainly is humbling to race against the best and was a great day and race all around.
2017-08-15 11:02 AM

User image

Elite

Congrats on what sounded like a great race! It would be amazing to race with the best of the best.  I love you came away knowing what to work on during the off season, always learning!

2017-08-15 11:23 AM

User image

Great job on a great race!!!! Way to go! I completely agree that warm Gatorade doesn't taste very good.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Age Group National Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championship

Started by TXTriRook
Views: 1244 Posts: 4

2017-08-21 12:23 PM melbo55

USA Triathlon Club Nationals Halfmax

Started by cmbell
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2017-06-13 12:51 PM cmbell

Guam National MTB Championship

Started by Blanda
Views: 802 Posts: 1