General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Triathlon training in KS Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-15 9:30 AM

Subject: Triathlon training in KS
Hello, 32 year old M in MHK starting in this awesome sport. Completed my first very small (63 people) sprint this weekend and won my age group. With my wife and 16month old daughter and friends cheering on support. What an addicting and costly sport you've got here!!

Wondering If anyone here is from around the Midwest and also just enjoy reading the stories.

With only a month until the next one in Manhattan, I'd better get to training.

Would love to workout with someone more experienced and with knowledge of an indoor pool in our area. The college has a beautiful natatorium sp* but I am not sure the cost not being alumni.

Happy training everybody!

2017-08-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: Traindad

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Triathlon training in KS

Welcome! I just moved OUT of Kansas a few months ago, but you're right it's an incredibly addicting sport. If you want to make it a family weekend, there are a number of races in the KC and Topeka areas and even in Wichita and surrounding areas (where I'm from!). A good place to search for races is www.trifind.com 

2017-08-15 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Traindad

Hello, 32 year old M in MHK starting in this awesome sport. Completed my first very small (63 people) sprint this weekend and won my age group. With my wife and 16month old daughter and friends cheering on support. What an addicting and costly sport you've got here!!

Wondering If anyone here is from around the Midwest and also just enjoy reading the stories.

With only a month until the next one in Manhattan, I'd better get to training.

Would love to workout with someone more experienced and with knowledge of an indoor pool in our area. The college has a beautiful natatorium sp* but I am not sure the cost not being alumni.

Happy training everybody!

Welcome to the madness.
Yes...it can get costly. But, it doesn't have to. It can be done on a budget, commensurate to your expectations.
You don't need a high end bike....you just need a good one. "Good" being relative to your comfort and expectations.
You don't need a $300 tri-suit.....although a pair of tri-shorts is almost necessary, but that can be done for not too much $30?....a tri-top helps too.
Running shoes, not too many way around getting good ones that are gonna be $100+ every couple of months....Anyway, I put this in the same category as a bike helmet. You need one. It doesn't necessarily count towards tri expenditures.

You've likely got enough of that by this point. You can hold pat there for awhile and gauge your expenditure against your continued interest as you go.

If you haven't got one already I think the single best value in the sport is a race belt. You can use it for fun-runs....etc. Anything to avoid safety pins. I think I bought my first one on clearance for like $2. Now I have a few....some were swag, some were giveaways or something for signing up for a USAT membership.

I'm over in the Lou, so near enough to be Midwest, but that's about it. I know there's some good races in the KC area. I think they still have a 70.3 near Lawrence and there's a huge range of distances at a race in Tapioca. There's a new STL (second was this year) Olympic and sprint race in May. Totally flat if you're into that sort of thing. It's not by intent. It's just the nature of where the race and limitations of where they can hold a swim. It happens to be fairly close to the confluence....which makes it so flat. Really well run. I hear the St. Gen race is fun with lots of beer at the end, but I've never done it. The other 70.3 in STL went kaput due to difficulties in getting the Mississippi to get on board with the program.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-08-15 12:54 PM
2017-08-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39  there's a huge range of distances at a race in Tapioca.

Autocorrect LOL!

But yes, this race series in Topeka and Lawrence has good reviews. Topeka Tinman sprint was my very first triathlon. I won't tell you what year 

Edited by lisac957 2017-08-15 2:31 PM
2017-08-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: Traindad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

Welcome to triathlon! You and I may have just completed the same race (Legend Black?). I was, once upon a time, a long time Manhattan resident and (unless something has changed) the natatorium will be your only indoor pool training in town. Other possible swim options are training in Junction City or finding a connection with Ft Riley and using their indoor pool. Also, check out Manhattan Running Co, they might be able to point you towards some training opportunities.

2017-08-15 10:44 PM
in reply to: #5226296

I can't wait to check out that race in tapioca (must be in Mizzou was my thought) haha. Feedback is awesome, thankyou all. My race was the Just Tri it, put on by the parks and Rec department here in town. There's another in Sept, open water swim should be a new wrinkle to the experience.
Happy training guys and gals!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Triathlon training in KS Rss Feed