General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamondback Andean Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-17 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Diamondback Andean
Looking for a new bike in the $5k-$8k range. The Andean caught my eye.

Anyone actually see anything on real performance? Most of the links I come across are sensational assumptions or about wind tunnel testing.

2017-08-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Diamondback Andean
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Anyone actually see anything on real performance? Most of the links I come across are sensational assumptions or about wind tunnel testing.

Answering my own question:

http://www.220triathlon.com/gear/bike/time-trial-triathlon-bikes/tr...
2017-08-19 6:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Answering my own question:

http://www.220triathlon.com/gear/bike/time-trial-triathlon-bikes/tr...

So I bought one using the Diamondback custom studio. Note: The regular customer service people don't know about this ordering process - call Diamondback directly if you go this route and need updates before they contact you.

I think its a really cool looking bike and the above article (among others) as well as it performing decently at Kona last year convinced me to go with this over the much more expensive P5X. I went with Ultegra Di2 - I already have ultegra and the Di2 will be an nice bonus. Don't want the almost $1k increase in price for Dura Ace since I don't know the difference. I did go with optional bent upward bars (at same cost) to have a more natural position for my hands. Of course, 90 mm deep wheels - already use that on my older P3.

This is a relatively heavy bike (about the same as the P5X)...so mountainous races on it are probably out of the question. But it will be great for Beach 2 Battleship in October.

We shall see...not sure when they will pre-fit it and ship. I'll report back on it.

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-08-19 6:31 AM

(andeanpic.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
andeanpic.PNG (385KB - 8 downloads)
2017-08-19 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
The Andean was tested independently in a first of its kind, crowd-funded, wind tunnel test against the P5, P5x, Premier Tactical, Venutm. The results are here.

Primer:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/An_independent_aero_super_bike_t...

Results:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Triathlon_Bikes_in_the_Age_of_Peak_A...

Edited by ThomasGerlach ProTri 2017-08-19 9:03 AM
2017-08-19 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

The Andean was tested independently in a first of its kind, crowd-funded, wind tunnel test against the P5, P5x, Premier Tactical, Venutm. The results are here.

Primer:

Results:

Saw that on slowtwich. These results suggest that at 0 angle its a 3.5% drag difference.. Wonder if in this range the bikes are meaningfully different at all given the road test that showed almost not difference (and swayed to Andean). It will be fun to compare various days I have on my circuit against my P3. I think I'll be bummed if I notice nothing.

P5Six in same configuration - at least $1000 more
P5X in similar configuration - almost double the price

Bank for the buck I think is in Andean's corner.

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-08-19 2:35 PM
2017-08-21 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Primer:

Results:

Saw that on slowtwich. These results suggest that at 0 angle its a 3.5% drag difference.. Wonder if in this range the bikes are meaningfully different at all given the road test that showed almost not difference (and swayed to Andean). It will be fun to compare various days I have on my circuit against my P3. I think I'll be bummed if I notice nothing.

Andean sets a course record.

http://ride.diamondback.com/bike-course-record-and-ironman-win?utm_...

2017-08-23 11:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Primer:

Results:

Andean sets a course record.

http://ride.diamondback.com/bike-course-record-and-ironman-win?utm_...

So as it turns out, I cancelled the order. I'm still a fan of the bike though, but I don't want to have a thread where I promote something I ended up not doing.

I'll leave the details out... Suffice it to say that I changed my mind because of execution/customer service concerns with Diamondback. I'm sure 99% of the shopping experience with them must be fine... I just had the lemon version.

So I'm back to that eternal question of ours... Which bike should I get. Budget is around $8500.
2017-08-24 4:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Which bike should I get. Budget is around $8500.

Did you consider spending less on the bike and buying stuff like a power meter, or an aero session or ......

At the end of the day you will be much faster on a less expensive bike properly fit, aero tested than the more expensive bike.

I didn't do the detailed math but for a example a P3 + power meter + aero testl is no more than a P5. At the end of the day you will be faster.

So the question is do you want the best bike for $8500, or the most potential for speed ?
2017-08-24 6:00 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by marcag

Did you consider spending less on the bike and buying stuff like a power meter, or an aero session or ......

At the end of the day you will be much faster on a less expensive bike properly fit, aero tested than the more expensive bike.

I didn't do the detailed math but for a example a P3 + power meter + aero testl is no more than a P5. At the end of the day you will be faster.

So the question is do you want the best bike for $8500, or the most potential for speed ?

Interesting you say this because this is where I'm at. I'm going into a shop to get a fit (they call it Fit First), then we'll pick the bike from there. And my head is now where a basic aero shape with top components make sense.
2017-08-24 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Interesting you say this because this is where I'm at. I'm going into a shop to get a fit (they call it Fit First), then we'll pick the bike from there. And my head is now where a basic aero shape with top components make sense.

You know you have one of the fastest frames ever made ?

To the extreme : take your money, your old p3, strip it of old components, have it custom painted, put new electronic shifting, a power meter, a super bar. nice wheels, get fit, get aero tested, I bet you have a bad looking bike, with you in the most aero position with the latest bling.

And nothing will be faster. I am biased, this is a winter project, but I have all the parts, so it's easy

2017-08-24 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

You know you have one of the fastest frames ever made ?

To the extreme : take your money, your old p3, strip it of old components, have it custom painted, put new electronic shifting, a power meter, a super bar. nice wheels, get fit, get aero tested, I bet you have a bad looking bike, with you in the most aero position with the latest bling.

And nothing will be faster. I am biased, this is a winter project, but I have all the parts, so it's easy

My P3 indeed has been fast (unscientifically easily 2 mph faster with me on it than my road bike on the flats in the wind). But a couple of additional data points in my case. Either I was fitted too small years ago or my geometry has changed. I have had to significantly alter the stack height and stem length in order to feel good on this bike. Second, There is a surface level fracture near the bottom bracket. It's more than paint, not deep and doesn't seem to be serious. But I studied stress crack propagation in a previous life and these types of cracks can fail suddenly, with undetectable microfractures ahead of what is visible. So I do need a new bike. But first, doing a fit, getting the report and then we'll see which dealer gets my business. I may even fly across the country into R&A Cycles in Brooklyn to purchase a Cervelo.

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-08-24 9:58 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diamondback Andean Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Diamondback brand road bikes?

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 695 Posts: 8

2017-07-18 5:25 PM Donto