General Discussion Triathlon Talk » preparing for 1mile swimopen water. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-17 2:37 PM

Subject: preparing for 1mile swimopen water.
Good afternoon, I am doing 1 mile open water (lake) swim 9/17.
Currently swimming in a 25 m pool, for about 60 minutes
total distance a dash over 1 mile 3 times per week with 2 days rest.
My question is: am I swimming enough ?
Should I increase the distance or how often I swim?
Thank you very much.

2017-08-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: gsl996

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: preparing for 1mile swimopen water.
Not sure about the volume but I would try to train in OW before the race.
2017-08-17 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by gsl996

Good afternoon, I am doing 1 mile open water (lake) swim 9/17.
Currently swimming in a 25 m pool, for about 60 minutes
total distance a dash over 1 mile 3 times per week with 2 days rest.
My question is: am I swimming enough ?
Should I increase the distance or how often I swim?
Thank you very much.

What are your objectives?

Assuming you want to do great you are not swimming enough, with enough variety. For example when you prep for a 10k run, minimal is to have a speed day (maybe a 5k), a long day (HM), and a couple of in between days including a 10k and possibly a hill day.

Really no different for swim...I think its important to hit a long swim, long defined by you but maybe 1.5 miles, a swim focusing on technique, a speed day etc. Paddles and other accessories depending.

But if you can't swim more then make it variety. Have a long swim, 1 mile swim and then a technique/speed day. And OWS if you can.
2017-08-17 10:10 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Open water swimming is more then just going back and forth in a pool. In the most basic sense you have plenty of swim volume, your swimming roughly 3 miles per week so it is pretty obvious you can swim a mile.

Here is the thing though:....have you ever swam in deep dark open water before? No clear pool water, no black lane marker on the bottom, no safety of being able to rest on the wall, no separate lane ropes, no controlled temperature, etc, you starting to get what I am saying??

Have you ever had a mass swim start with 25-50+ people? Bodies bumping, legs kicking in your face, arms flailing and splashing all about you occasionally hitting you in the head and face, water churning, swells, total chaos!!!!! 

Are you ready for all that? That is the question you should be asking yourself. Now go get into the open lake water, take a freind and have them go out with you either on the swim or in a kayak or boat to spot you in case you start to freak out a little. It almost always happens to everyone on the first couple of big open water swims, don't wait until race day. I have seen many folks spend countless hours training in the pool and jump into deep open water and get fished out in the first 300 yards. I swim 1-2 miles once a week in the open pacific ocean (even with known great white shark sightings in the area) and I still find myself getting moments of panic but have learned how to redirect my thoughts and refocus and stay in the game. Sometimes its crazy currents pulling you away or big swells lifting you up and dropping you face first into the water in the middle of taking a breath, or you see shadows under water and your mind starts messing with you.

Open water whether its a lake or ocean is a entirely different beast from the safety and calmness of your local pool. Only one thing can prepare you for open water and that is...open water. 

Enjoy the swim

2017-08-17 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Have you practiced sighting?

Do you have a swim buoy?
https://www.amazon.com/New-Wave-Swim-Swimmers-Triathletes/dp/B071G8R...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » preparing for 1mile swimopen water. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open Water Swimming Advice

Started by cmbell
Views: 1279 Posts: 6

2016-08-23 1:57 PM jhaack39

Open Water Swim Partners or Groups - near Stamford, CT (Fairfield County or Westchester County NY)

Started by Swim2016
Views: 1334 Posts: 2

2016-08-28 6:08 PM louamerica

Open Water Swim Partners or Groups - near Stamford, CT (Fairfield County or Westchester County NY)

Started by Swim2016
Views: 2133 Posts: 3

2017-03-05 9:37 AM SAASwimmer

Milford, CT Open Water Swim

Started by jverdura
Views: 4837 Posts: 16

2017-03-05 9:38 AM SAASwimmer

Why do some people get water up their nose

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 14826 Posts: 17

2017-07-22 1:16 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri