General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race is tomorrow and... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-25 8:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: Race is tomorrow and...
It will be my 6th sprint. The first 5 times, I was just happy to cross the line. The first time just to cross the line (I was suffering from anemia at the time), the next 4, just happy to cross the line and not finish last.

This year, something clicked and I have been training more seriously for this one, with a time goal 15 minutes faster than last year's and a top 5 finish (based on last year's results). -- Lost 13 lbs in the process and will soon try my luck at an Olympic distance.

I have been training hard, dreaming about it, practiced transitions (the 4th discipline of triathlon) , bought stuff (the 5th discipline of triathlon), etc...

So I am (was) really looking forward to this...

Then this morning, I wake up feeling s**t. No fever but rather tired, an itchy throat and a heavy head (no headache).

I am hoping is just a combination of weather (very heavy today) and nerves. I Think I Always feel a bit off when I am really looking forward to something. But normally the things I am looking forward to are holidays or concerts, none of them include redlining for over an hour....

Just needed to share, I know you guys will understand. Can't really talk to my family about it, who will all tell not to race if I don't feel well. I AM going to start (unless I have fever) but may not be able to do my best...

bummer!

2017-08-25 9:16 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Race is tomorrow and...
Could this be pre-race anxiety? I thought I was doing fine mentally this week (my Oly race is this Sunday), but since I woke up I've been feeling nauseous. Seriously, I feel as if I were pregnant... ughhhhh....
Try to relax and think about something else, not the race.
2017-08-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks, I really hope this is just anxiety, for both of us! Good luck on Sunday

Edited by Rollergirl 2017-08-25 9:23 AM
2017-08-25 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Congratulations on your training - trust that it will pay off.
Hope you aren't sick, that would suck, but the adrenaline should kick in.

Don't know about taking cold meds and racing. Maybe someone here with more experience can share.

I also kicked it into gear this year - at the sprint level. Didn't lose much weight, even eating pretty clean, but I am post-menopausal (my excuse for a lot . While my times didn't improve a lot from a few years ago (you will probably have better results just from the weight loss), felt good out of the water, ran to TI. Transitions used to be a time to catch my breath, now I was in and out in under 2 mins.(fast for me). It was a very tough bike course, came in the back of the pack, but did place 3/5 in my age group.

Some good advice I've gotten here - don't worry about placing. It depends who shows up for the race. Race your best race and that will be your success.

I trust that you will do great!

Mitzi
2017-08-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks Mitzi

You're right about the placing, it does depend on who shows up. Earlier this year I finished 12/24 with a worse time than last year, when I was 20/25.

I hope you are right about the adrenaline too, I have heard about it but never experienced it.

Well done on a good year too!

I have googled anxiety symptoms and although I realise it's a serious condition which doesn't have much to do with pre-race jitters, I have decided that's what I have and am NOT sick, alright brain???

2017-08-25 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A couple of things:

• Anxienty/nerves - YES!!!  I never feel quite right a couple of days before a race
  • Taper madness?  Tapers always make me feel achy
  • Cold medicine - I've trained and raced on it, but everyone is different and there are some risks involved, especially for those with psuedophedrine as it raises your blood pressure.  Stay off anything anti-inflammatory, especially if it's going to be warm out

Good luck in your journey to move from finishing to racing!

2017-08-25 10:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Thanks Mitzi

You're right about the placing, it does depend on who shows up. Earlier this year I finished 12/24 with a worse time than last year, when I was 20/25.

I hope you are right about the adrenaline too, I have heard about it but never experienced it.

Well done on a good year too!

I have googled anxiety symptoms and although I realise it's a serious condition which doesn't have much to do with pre-race jitters, I have decided that's what I have and am NOT sick, alright brain???

lol

I have taken Ibuprofen plenty of times, mostly in running races. It works great for inflammation, any possible pains, and I believe has some other benefits. I know I will be in pain in the upcoming triathlon, because I did not train well, and have new shoes that I believe I haven't run with long enough. So my plan is to take two pills just when exiting T2.

The adrenaline helps a lot.
2017-08-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks guys, it's definitely anxiety, as I have noticed a minor defect on my rear tyre (oh whhhyyyy did I not check before!!??? Now it's too late , it's evening here, shops are closed!) and my symptoms went through the roof!!! I am even having palpitations now

Aaahaarrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!
2017-08-25 11:46 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Thanks guys, it's definitely anxiety, as I have noticed a minor defect on my rear tyre (oh whhhyyyy did I not check before!!??? Now it's too late , it's evening here, shops are closed!) and my symptoms went through the roof!!! I am even having palpitations now

Aaahaarrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Oh no! What is wrong? Do you think it will be fine to ride? Do they have some tech people on the site at the race?
2017-08-25 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks Mitzi You're right about the placing, it does depend on who shows up. Earlier this year I finished 12/24 with a worse time than last year, when I was 20/25. I hope you are right about the adrenaline too, I have heard about it but never experienced it. Well done on a good year too! I have googled anxiety symptoms and although I realise it's a serious condition which doesn't have much to do with pre-race jitters, I have decided that's what I have and am NOT sick, alright brain???
lol I have taken Ibuprofen plenty of times, mostly in running races. It works great for inflammation, any possible pains, and I believe has some other benefits. I know I will be in pain in the upcoming triathlon, because I did not train well, and have new shoes that I believe I haven't run with long enough. So my plan is to take two pills just when exiting T2. The adrenaline helps a lot.

You might want to read up on taking NSAID's while endurance training/racing.  Do some searching, and depending on your choice of poison ,medicine, you'll add to the already high load to either kidneys or liver.  

2017-08-25 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks guys, it's definitely anxiety, as I have noticed a minor defect on my rear tyre (oh whhhyyyy did I not check before!!??? Now it's too late , it's evening here, shops are closed!) and my symptoms went through the roof!!! I am even having palpitations now Aaahaarrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Take a deep breath...

Put it all in perspective:  
Are you going to lose your job or your house over your race performance?  (Probably not)
Are you going to lose the love and admiration of your family over your race performance?  (Probably not, but you can over attitude...)

You're pretty much going to wake up the day after the race the same person you were today regardless of the race (even a DNF) and that's a good thing!  

If you read this before the race, you can slide a folded dollar bill, candy wrapper, etc. between the tyre and tube where you see the defect to reinforce that area.  

2017-08-25 11:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
It's slightly cracked on the outside, but looks ok from inside. It should hold another 20k ride, I think, but now I am worried about that...

I KNOW I should have thought about checking at least a week ago. Well, I HAVE thought about it.....
2017-08-25 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks guys, it's definitely anxiety, as I have noticed a minor defect on my rear tyre (oh whhhyyyy did I not check before!!??? Now it's too late , it's evening here, shops are closed!) and my symptoms went through the roof!!! I am even having palpitations now Aaahaarrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Take a deep breath...

Put it all in perspective:  
Are you going to lose your job or your house over your race performance?  (Probably not)
Are you going to lose the love and admiration of your family over your race performance?  (Probably not, but you can over attitude...)

You're pretty much going to wake up the day after the race the same person you were today regardless of the race (even a DNF) and that's a good thing!  

If you read this before the race, you can slide a folded dollar bill, candy wrapper, etc. between the tyre and tube where you see the defect to reinforce that area.  

Thanks. No, I would not lose my job nor the love of my family, I would lose some self esteem though.

Thanks for the tip about the tyre. I was thinking about putting a bit of glue on the crack, what do you think?

Edited by Rollergirl 2017-08-25 12:00 PM
2017-08-25 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure what time it is now but if this is relevant....get some sleep! You will be fine. I have been in endurance sports for almost 40 years and in that time have raced many times with colds and worse. Colds will affect your comfort level, maybe your top-end performance, but almost certainly not your ability to finish a sprint triathlon. If you are otherwise healthy, normal doses of most common cold meds should not be dangerous for a race at that distance. (I would be very careful, though, if you have blood pressure issues.) I have raced with pretty much any cold/asthma med you can name in my system. Probably not the most awesome thing to do health wise, but my job and location don't allow me to race much and most events involve expensive travel--I won't pull out over a cold; asthma makes it necessary that I take the meds so I can breathe well enough to sleep and race. I have even done a HIM in tropical conditions with the flu (though no fever on race day) and finished without ending up in ER or the med tent--very careful management of what/when I took meds, unambitious pacing, and tons of hydration. (I really don't recommend this, though.)

You need to be much more cautious with a longer event, and in really extreme conditions. I would not race with a fever or deep chest congestion. Head colds/sore throat without fever should not be dangerous and in fact don't always even affect performance in a shorter race.. Pay extra attention to hydration as many meds contain chemicals which can hasten dehydration. And if you start to feel worse (extreme fatigue, dizziness, difficulty breathing beyond what is normal for you in a race), slow down or drop out. It may be a sign you are coming down with something nastier, or your body's just not up to it that day.

One thing to be aware of is that many cold meds contain nervous system stimulants (like pseudoephedrine and caffeine) which may make pre-race anxiety (both physical and mental aspects) worse. Just recognize it for what it is--your heart may be pounding because the meds plus anxiety are jacking it up. Personally I would try to avoid taking anything on race morning for that reason, unless it's something you absolutely need (like an inhaler for people with asthma). If you must, maybe lay off the pre-race coffee. From experience--anxiety plus cold meds plus coffee plus porta-potty lines = ugly situation!
2017-08-26 7:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your support everybody. The tyre held, I was not sick (it was just race anxiety) and it went really well. I am very happy!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race is tomorrow and... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

race tomorrow, can't calm down

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 1285 Posts: 18

2017-11-15 11:24 AM NickJons

5.10.17 I am 47 years young today!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 835 Posts: 14

2017-05-11 12:36 AM Shermbelle

Am I crazy?

Started by joshwennes
Views: 1511 Posts: 16

2017-03-15 9:23 AM jhaack39

Am I being unrealistic?

Started by ninagski
Views: 1436 Posts: 11

2016-11-07 9:50 AM GMAN 19030

Newbie - Missed 3 weeks of training, should I still race? (1 month til race)

Started by kmariesmyth
Views: 1867 Posts: 13

2016-09-10 10:59 PM MuscleMomma