General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimal training for HIM 2 workouts/discipline/week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-30 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Minimal training for HIM 2 workouts/discipline/week?
Hi all, I haven't been on this site for years now. I gave up tris for road bike racing due to time constraints and multiple knee/ankle issues when I used to run a lot. Anyway, I never got to do a HIM and I think I want to aim for one next summer (2018)!

I am married with four kids and a full time job so I want to do the absolute minimal training necessary. I'm not looking to break any records or anything, just finish without killing myself. I am in great shape as far as the bike is concerned. I got down to CAT 3 in cycling and am not worried at all about the bike leg. I was always fairly quick in the water too and seemed to be a naturally good swimmer so I'm not even going to begin swimming until 3 months before race day. Running is really where I need the most work. I haven't run more than a few times a month for two years now. Usually my runs are just 2-3 miles at an easy 9-10 min pace.

So my plan as of now is to only run twice a week and only bike twice a week all through the winter. I will do strength training just because I don't like to get too scrawny and once I start swimming in May/June I will cut back on strength training to compensate. I plan to keep all of my workouts under an hour for most of the winter and then will start increasing the time/distance in the spring. I will try to get in 2 HIIT workouts a week (probably two bikes at first until my legs are in good running shape and then I'll begin to add in some shorter threshold runs 20-40 minutes). And of course I'll try to add in some brick workouts closer to race day.

So, I'm just wondering what the least amount of training people have done and still accomplished a HIM? I think the majority of my training weeks will be around 4-6 hours with my longest weeks being around 10 hours. Does this even sound reasonable? My rough estimate conservative goals are to swim in less than 50 minutes, bike 16mph or faster (it's a fairly flat course), and run 10 min miles or faster. I think it's reasonable for me to finish under 7 hours (possibly closer to 5 1/2 if I stay healthy over the next year and get my running legs back).

What do you think? Can I work up to a HIM with only 2 runs/week and 2 bikes/week and only 3 months of swim training twice a week? The only thing I worry about is getting in the longer runs (12-14 miles) while only running twice a week. From what I remember, your long run shouldn't be the majority of your weekly run miles but will my cross training make up for that? What is your experience and what is the least amount of time you have invested? Any and all comments are welcome. And any real life examples of minimal training and still completing a race without killing yourself would be good encouragement. Thanks ahead of time... it's good to be back with the tri group!

Edited by Kermat89 2017-08-30 9:46 AM

2017-08-30 11:24 AM
in reply to: Kermat89

User image

Subject: RE: Minimal training for HIM 2 workouts/discipline/week?
I'm just training for my first half ironman so it's hard for me to speak to a lot of that but what I found was that long runs and long bikes are a necessity if you're going to finish feeling like a human. Your body has to get used to that long, sustained effort.
2017-08-30 2:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Swimming can have a some variation between people in a situation like this. Best would be to get in the water a few times and see how fast it comes back. Or at least estimate a satisfactory amount may. If it does so quickly, great, hold off some more. If not, then be glad you started earlier. I had some ok speed 2 years out of the pool, but would tire & get sore much more easily.

Run more often than that. Volume comes easier with more frequency too. That's part of what was given when you were around before too (I remember some of the discussions then).

2017-08-31 5:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should consider getting in the pool earlier to see how I feel. And maybe I should add in a third run to my plan, even if its a short easy run.
2017-09-02 8:21 AM

My training for my first HIM july 9th 2017.
Background:
Male, 37 yrs.

Beginner level triathlete, though I did one sprint and one olympic distance triathlon in 2014 on borrowed bikes. Beginner level swim and bike. Bought my first road bike about 10 months prior to the HIM.

Runner for about 15 yrs. If I’m in shape I can do a 40-41 min 10K and 1:35 half marathon.

My training 4-6 months out:
Avg 3:15/week. Max week about 5 hrs.
Swim: About 1500 m every other week.
Bike: 1-2 workouts per week on an old exercise bike at work for an average of 67 min/week.
Run: 1-2 workouts per week for an average of 1:53 min/week.

With about four months to go i decided to increase my training, aiming for 3 runs, 3 rides and 2 swims per week. There were very few weeks that i actually got all the workouts done so for the last four months i averaged 6.5 workouts and 7:03 training per week.

Swim: 1.4 swims per week, avg 2500 m/w. Longest swim 2600 m.
Bike: 2.5 rides per week, avg 3 hrs 45 min/week. Longest ride about 3 hrs (80 km or 50 mi).
Run: 2.6 runs per week, avg 27 km (about 17 miles) or 2 hrs 20 min/week. Longest run a stand alone half marathon.

My biggest training week were 10:46 consisting of 2 swims, 3 rides and 3 runs. I actually did two weeks with exactly 10:46 of training.

I finished the half ironman in 5:46 with a 39 min swim, 3:02 bike and a 1:54 run. T1 included a 500 m jog from the swim exit to the transition area. I biked harder than I had planned (the avg speed on the bike was the fastest of any ride I had ever done) and I did pay for that on the run where I did walk a few times.

Overall i felt like I was well prepared to finish an HIM but the execution could have been better.
2017-09-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: 0

@ OP - You'll be fine on this lower-volume approach. Just adjust your expectations accordingly, and I suspect you'll actually have a very successful race day.

I wouldn't recommend this approach for beginners, but you're a Cat3 (which is easily FOP by triathlete standards), and an admittedly capable swimmer, so all you have to do is hold most of your bike ability and get to swimming the 1.2mi comfortably (which should be pretty easy a level to get to on 2 swims/wk given your background), so it's really all about training the run for you.

Seriously, you could even consider backing off the bike to 1 time per week with a combined harder/longer type bike effort, and run 3x/wk if you want to given your bike background. 

I'd also caution against going to hog wild doing a lot of HIIT running on this low-volume plan; I know you hear a lot about subbing in intensity for volume, but that tends to be safest when you're either doing nonimpact (swim/bike), or have a big running base to support it. Be very careful with the HIIT run training - I myself would postpone it completely until I felt I was running my target weekly run volume no problem even with multiple short speed pickups in there, and then I would be VERY careful about the HIIT. Meaning the moment you feel worried about overdoing it, you pull the plug on it and save it for next time. 

But yes, I do believe if done properly you can def do decently well, if not surprisingly well even at HIM distance with 2x/wk workouts for SBR. Remember  that consistency is the key to success - a lot of folks who train for 4 months CONSISTENTLY with this 2x/wk SBR without interruption or setbacks, will outperform folks with a planned heavier training regimen but who can't sustain it for the full 4 months and then have intermittent setbacks/injuries and days/weeks off in there.

Edited by yazmaster 2017-09-02 9:05 AM

2017-09-02 12:23 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Oh hi! I remember you!

Listen to brigby and yaz. They've got the goods.

There was a fat guy here who'd done a couple sprints before, then did a HIM on ... zero. Sure, he couldn't feel his crotch for 6 weeks afterward and he hasn't done a tri since ... so ... you COULD do the same, but really shouldn't. Honestly, it's not so much the minimum you could do it on -- because that would be zero -- but how you will fare in the days following / recovery. Life will really suck if you can't be there for the kids or show up to work because you're in agony for a week.

You've got a really decent base. (Everything I say is predicated on that). If you're only running 3x/week, all easy. (Look, you could WALK the HM part in well under 3hr.) That said, I'd rather ship someone off to a HIM on 4-5 easy runs/week totaling 1:30 - 2:00 than 3x/week (same time / distance, occasionally with a longer run). Remember you can run around the block in business shoes for a 10min run (you can run in bike shoes for 10min off each run, and that's a lot like running through transition). They add up. Ultimately it's the total you've done come race day, not "key" workouts or longest rides/runs.

You're also in luck because running transfers better to cycling than vice versa, and you're pretty good to go there.. Unfortunately nothing translates to swimming ... cue brigby again ... and remember you can toss in 10-15min of deep-water running after each swim. 

It's well past midnight. I've been up since 5:30am. You should therefore probably disregard everything I say ... but welcome back

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimal training for HIM 2 workouts/discipline/week? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint Tri vs a Quick Brick workout 1 week before race

Started by jnuger
Views: 1183 Posts: 16

2017-11-16 10:37 AM McFuzz

TSS/week for training

Started by Blastman
Views: 4835 Posts: 16

2017-05-04 8:09 PM brigby1

Minimal swimming to get ready for 70.3?

Started by nc452010
Views: 1653 Posts: 10