General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor bike trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-08-31 11:30 AM

Subject: Indoor bike trainer
Just looking for advice on what type of indoor bike trainer I should pick up before winter. My first year riding and I'd like to continue training into the cold weather! Im seeing magnetic and fluid and kinetic maybe varieties, I've heard scary stories like I'll have to buy a new rear tire, due to a flat spot developing in my current one on the trainer, is this true?! Please help and thankyou!

2017-08-31 11:45 AM
in reply to: Traindad

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Indoor bike trainer

Getting nosy about it, what's your budget? If you're willing to pay north of $700, you can get a direct drive trainer, which would keep you from having to get a separate trainer wheel. That would also allow you to train with power.

I have a fluid "dumb" trainer. It was cheap, and it's served me well. When I was making my choice, I had read that fluid offers better resistance (and is quieter) than magnetic trainers. I do wish I had sprung for a nicer fluid trainer (like the Kurt Kinetic), but my cheap one has been just fine.

2017-08-31 12:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have an older model CycleOps trainer I bought off of Craigslist for $50. Works fine. In 10 years and two different trainers, I've never had an issue with a back tire (knock on wood). I think a couple of heavy training winters I've swapped out a cheap back tire just in case, but no horror stories in my experiences. 

2017-08-31 12:21 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Like Steve said, it depends on what you want to do with it.  I have a Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainer (about $300) and I've ridden about 8,000 miles on it without any issues, on my regular tires.  I do swap out tires and put an older one on in the winter but for the summer I just leave the expensive one on.  No issues.

I use the TrainerRoad app to record everything and give me workouts to do.  With that app ($89/year or something like that) and a speed sensor you can get "virtual power" (many trainers have a defined speed-to-power curve...).

You can go way up from there.

I've linked more information than you could ever want to know about trainers and apps below:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/annual-winter-2016-2017-bike-smart-trainer-recommendations.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

2017-08-31 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I second both what Lisa and Mike said above. I bought a used CycleOps trainer off Craigslist for $70, then bought a bluetooth speed and cadence sensor for $60. The combination allows me to do "virtual power training" via the TrainerRoad app/subscription. (Bonus: cadence sensor has been quite useful for outdoor riding, too). Haven't had any serious tire wear issues, but, as I plan to do more training this winter and have improved my power output with a good outdoor riding season, I intend to invest the ~$30 in a trainer tire this year.

Edited by gary p 2017-08-31 12:44 PM
2017-08-31 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have two "dumb trainers"--one on each continent. (Here and at home in the US.) My trainer here (I shipped it in) is a CycleOps fluid model; the one in the US is their Magento model. People claim the fluid one is smoother and quieter but honestly, have never really noticed a difference. If anything, the magnetic one gives a little bit better resistance range and it's often easier for me to find the "sweet spot" of gearing/resistance for training and even FTP tests (all-out stuff). Not much different in noise that I notice. I got a power meter two years ago to help with training, but as others have mentioned, there are also "virtual" solutions that may be cheaper. If you are also in the market for a bike computer, you can usually get PM/Garmin bundles on Black Friday, Cyber Monday and at similar sales times.

As for the tire, I just stick on an old tire, the same one I use to ride outside in Vietnam. NOT my race tire. It does get greater wear on the trainer, but it shouldn't be really dramatic--if it is, you may need to adjust the tension.,

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-08-31 6:06 PM

2017-08-31 8:21 PM

Now that Zwift exists, I'd always lean toward getting a smart trainer if the budget allows. I've Zwift'ed on a dumb trainer, but it's not quite the same and you make up the cost in tires over time. If you're only putting in a few hours a week then it probably doesn't matter. . . but if you like riding and racing Zwift, well worth it.
2017-09-01 10:31 AM
in reply to: #5227392

RE: Indoor bike trainer
BY: lisac957 on 2017-08-31 12:13 PM
I have an older model CycleOps trainer I bought off of Craigslist for $50. Works fine. In 10 years and two different trainers, I've never had an issue with a back tire (knock on wood). I think a couple of heavy training winters I've swapped out a cheap back tire just in case, but no horror stories in my experiences.

Thanks lisac957, just what I needed to hear. I've been looking at some on Craigslist and just need to pull the trigger on one and bring it home. I don't think I'll have that many hours to spend riding inside but maybe I'll surprise myself! Thanks again to all for the advise and knowledge!!
2017-09-11 4:52 AM

User image

Kingston Upon Thames, England
Depends how much you want to spend. The best indoor training kit without a doubt is the Wattbike, I say this as I'm cyclist coming into Triathlon. Most professional cyclists in Europe will have these in their house. https://wattbike.com/

It's very expense though!

Laurent Jalabert one of the worlds best cyclists in the 1990's and now a Ironman addict uses his every week!

Off the above, because lets face it, Wattbikes are a big investment and cost a lot. I would suggest a Tacx Ironman Smart Trainer https://tacx.com/product/tacx-ironman-smart/or a Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer (later been cheaper about £300 = USD $500). Tacx been a company out of Holland who are probably the worlds leader for quality.

The above examples are not cheap but they will last long and improve you training, last thing you want is a cheap one breaking or rocking or something that wrecks your bike.

Edited by mortirolo 2017-09-11 4:58 AM
2017-09-14 7:28 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

This guy will tell you everything you need to know and more.  This is his recommendation list for last year and it will likely be updated in the next few weeks for this season but it's still good info.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/annual-winter-2016-2017-bike-smart-trainer-recommendations.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor bike trainer Rss Feed