General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking at scheduling first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-03 6:52 AM

User image

Subject: Looking at scheduling first HIM
After what I would consider a very successful first OD in Chicago, I hit every goal i initially had. 2:30:44, took 5th in the charity wave, 209 overall and BEAT MY FRIEND. I have one more race in 4 weeks, OD and it is local. We are trying to plan our season next year and planning to do a half IM. We want to stay in the midwest and contemplating either 70.3 Wisconsin, 70.3 Muncie, or Steelhead 70.3. I'm just looking for some course advice. Overall my swim is my strongest area, followed by the bike, then run is the weakest but I think it is improving the fastest. I'm a big sweat ball. So, I'm concerned with significant heat/sun that I might get at Muncie in July although this is relatively local. I wouldn't even need a hotel for it. Anyone race these courses and have advice which might be good for a first HIM. The party after would be important too. Thanks for the advice BT. I'm positive without this community I would not have accomplished what I set out to do.

2017-09-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Subject: RE: Looking at scheduling first HIM
Unfortunately I have yet to race any of them but have many friends who have. I would say Steelhead is probably the most popular of the three, but I am in Michigan so I might be slightly biased. If the after party is a concern it's hard to beat WTC events, but I would invite you to check out the Grand Rapids 70.3 in June. If you've never been to GR it's a pretty cool place with some absolute world class breweries! The GR Tri is getting bigger every year and is put on by some amazing people. It also costs quite a bit less and is put on by some amazing people! Just a thought.
2017-10-02 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by jnuger

After what I would consider a very successful first OD in Chicago, I hit every goal i initially had. 2:30:44, took 5th in the charity wave, 209 overall and BEAT MY FRIEND. I have one more race in 4 weeks, OD and it is local. We are trying to plan our season next year and planning to do a half IM. We want to stay in the midwest and contemplating either 70.3 Wisconsin, 70.3 Muncie, or Steelhead 70.3. I'm just looking for some course advice. Overall my swim is my strongest area, followed by the bike, then run is the weakest but I think it is improving the fastest. I'm a big sweat ball. So, I'm concerned with significant heat/sun that I might get at Muncie in July although this is relatively local. I wouldn't even need a hotel for it. Anyone race these courses and have advice which might be good for a first HIM. The party after would be important too. Thanks for the advice BT. I'm positive without this community I would not have accomplished what I set out to do.

70.3 Wisconsin - Not as bad as the 140.6, but the bike course is very challenging. I live 2 hours from it and haven't had the courage to sign up for it yet.

70.3 Steelhead - Lake Michigan can be unpredictable, but light rolling hills on the bike and a flat run. Steelhead was my first 70.3, and very beginner friendly.
2017-10-02 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by jnuger

70.3 Wisconsin - Not as bad as the 140.6, but the bike course is very challenging. I live 2 hours from it and haven't had the courage to sign up for it yet.

70.3 Steelhead - Lake Michigan can be unpredictable, but light rolling hills on the bike and a flat run. Steelhead was my first 70.3, and very beginner friendly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking at scheduling first HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Womens Tri-Suits - What do you look for?

Started by Carla-Adele
Views: 1404 Posts: 3

2016-10-28 6:46 PM Hot Runner

In Cincy, looking for a used bike.

Started by willygood87
Views: 968 Posts: 3

2016-11-03 7:20 AM alicefoeller

2017 schedule

Started by LundyLund
Views: 1713 Posts: 10

2016-10-03 8:09 AM MikeD1

Looking for Thesis Participants