General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race recommendations Half/Full cold and flat courses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-04 3:43 PM

Subject: Race recommendations Half/Full cold and flat courses
Hello All

I would like to solicit your race recommendations for races that happen in cooler tempetures that have flat(er) bike and run courses. I'm a larger athlete that does much better when the tempeture is in the 60/70s then in the 80/90s. Being a larger athlete, the race course being flat really plays to my strengths especially on the bike where higher power generation means more then power/weight ratios.

I would like to solicit recommendations on race courses for the full or half distance for next year. Races can be domestic USA or international(would be nice to have a race vacation)

2017-09-05 8:48 PM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Race recommendations Half/Full cold and flat courses
The new Calgary 70.3 bike course is super flat and fast. This year wws warm by our standards but we have had anything from 10C to 30 C
2017-09-06 6:24 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

New Orleans 70.3 on October 22 might be one worth looking at.

2017-09-06 7:13 PM

User image

Niagara Barrelman. Flat bike and you run past Niagara Falls twice. The swim is in an old section of the Welland Canal that has been turned into an aquatic centre so there are virtually no waves. It's a half and it's on Sept. 17. http://rev3tri.com/niagarafallsbarrelman/
2017-09-08 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by dnewman84

Hello All

I would like to solicit your race recommendations for races that happen in cooler tempetures that have flat(er) bike and run courses. I'm a larger athlete that does much better when the tempeture is in the 60/70s then in the 80/90s. Being a larger athlete, the race course being flat really plays to my strengths especially on the bike where higher power generation means more then power/weight ratios.

I would like to solicit recommendations on race courses for the full or half distance for next year. Races can be domestic USA or international(would be nice to have a race vacation)

I'm about to race Beach 2 Battleship 70.3 for the first time. It's by the ocean so doesn't get much flatter, and as a bonus the swim is fast as it coincides with the incoming tide. It's in Wilmington NC in mid October - fairly cool and they advertise that the run this year will be largely in the shade.
2017-09-13 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

Dnewman 84, thaks for this thread and your question. I, too am going to try to limit my future 70.3s to cooler temp races. I just don't like heat.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2017-09-13 9:24 AM

2017-09-13 4:37 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by dnewman84 Hello All I would like to solicit your race recommendations for races that happen in cooler tempetures that have flat(er) bike and run courses. I'm a larger athlete that does much better when the tempeture is in the 60/70s then in the 80/90s. Being a larger athlete, the race course being flat really plays to my strengths especially on the bike where higher power generation means more then power/weight ratios. I would like to solicit recommendations on race courses for the full or half distance for next year. Races can be domestic USA or international(would be nice to have a race vacation)

Race day temperatures are variable.  Look back through the race reports sorted by event.  You will read 6-7 in a row that take about the swim almost being canceled due to rain then you will get to the next 6-7 reports from the previous year and they will say that it was hot and dry, then another 6-7 that will say it was windy, etc.  So...trying to pick a perfect race day based on last year's race day conditions could lead to disappointment.

Bike course don't change as much but reading back through race reports for the race I am doing on Saturday I also see changes in bike courses from year to year.  I talked to a friend who lives in the town the race is in and who road the race course on Saturday and he comment about the trouble spots but indicated that it is the best course they have had for that event that he has ever seen. So...it is NOT the same course as last year which also changed for the year before that, etc.  You should be able to pick a flat course pretty reliably, but keep in mind that that too can change so be flexible after to have selected a race.

So...having said that...I came across a spread sheet a few years ago that ranked all the Ironman 70.3 races.  It had it broken down into which ones were the most competitive by the number of participants, wining times, etc..  There are a lot of these out there.  HERE is something similar to what I saw before.  It should help you choose a race.  Just don't put your eggs in one basket so to speak.  The race always is going to throw something unespected at you so be prepared to adapt on race day.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-09-13 4:43 PM
2017-09-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by b2run Niagara Barrelman. Flat bike and you run past Niagara Falls twice. The swim is in an old section of the Welland Canal that has been turned into an aquatic centre so there are virtually no waves. It's a half and it's on Sept. 17. http://rev3tri.com/niagarafallsbarrelman/

Another vote for Barrelman.  However, the bike is very flat, the run course is not flat (not outrageous but certainly not flat)

2017-09-25 7:12 AM

Thank you for all the feedback!

I'm currently thinking of 4 races and would like to solicit general feedback from anyone who has done them!

1. Steelhead 70.3
2. Atlanta City 70.3
3. Calgary 70.3
4. Muncie 70.3
2017-09-25 10:23 AM

Hey! I just did Atlantic City 70.3- It was my first 70.3 so keep in mind this is coming from a beginner but here is my "race report"-

Swim was great- the water was 74 or 75 degrees so wet suit legal. You could not feel the current. it was SLIGHTLY against you on way out but SLIGHTLY with you on way back. Again, I am a weak swimmer and did not notice it. It is a rolling start so just be comfortable jumping off a dock and swimming with large groups. You self seed as determined by what you think you will finish in. If you are honest with yourself, swim is great because you aren't getting run over by faster swimmers.

Bike is flat and fast- They were not kidding. I maintained faster than expected while riding at my planned effort level. You do notice the wind while on the long straightaways but since it is multiple loops, the headwind/tailwind splits even out. almost completely closed to traffic. You can just settle in and not worry about much at all which was nice.

Run is FLAT. you are almost entirely running along the ocean boardwalk. Great views for when you start to hurt! There is ZERO shade on the run. It was about 80 degrees out. That being said, 4 days before the race, it was 68 degrees out so you never know what the temp will be on race day in New Jersey.

Overall the race was great. The race director is awesome and they answered every question I had within 12 hours- they not only put on a great race for the pros, they cater to the beginner which I respected and appreciated.
2017-09-26 3:39 PM

User image

I'm currently thinking of 4 races and would like to solicit general feedback from anyone who has done them!

1. Steelhead 70.3
2. Atlanta City 70.3
3. Calgary 70.3
4. Muncie 70.3

Of those I have only done Steelhead 70.3. The course was very Clydesdale friendly, but beware. By all accounts Lake Michigan can be less than friendly if the winds are coming in just right. It was a very smooth swim the year I did it though. Good luck with whichever race you choose!

2017-09-26 8:35 PM

Master
, California

If you're looking overseas:

Barcelona full.  The October timeline is very nice weather.  When I was there, it was about 60F when I woke up for the race, and peaked at about 70F during the race.  The half is a different time of year and hillier, so I'm not sure about that.

Sweden full (Ironman Kalmar) - also very flat and fast.  Yes it's in the summer, but well, it's Sweden.  Not going to get super hot there.

IM New Zealand (March), I've done twice and it has been sunny and warm both times, but not much over 80F.  The course is flat although the rough road will slow you down a bit.  It is on the northern island at Lake Taupo.

Challenge Wanaka (full and half) is on the south island and might be a little cooler, although definitely more hills.

Edited by spudone 2017-09-26 8:35 PM
2017-09-26 8:37 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

Also for USA, I'm surprised no one mentioned Ironman Maryland.  It's another October race, flat as a pancake.

2017-10-02 2:29 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

1. Steelhead 70.3
2. Atlanta City 70.3
3. Calgary 70.3
4. Muncie 70.3

Have done Steelhead 70.3

Lightly rolling hills on the bike and a mostly flat run course. Lake Michigan can be a lion or a lamb, I got lucky!

Comparable races in the "area" with similar courses are Racine and Ohio 70.3.

Racine is also in Lake Michigan, and the bike is flat, but extremely poor road conditions.
Ohio is a similar in elevation to the other 2, but has a Lake swim, which is either calm or a little light chop at the worst case.
2017-10-05 10:55 AM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
IM NC 70.3 in Wilmington. An October race and very flat bike and run.

Last year the high temp on race day was 66 degrees.
2017-10-05 1:30 PM

Have to second Ironman maryland. I haven't done the race but I used to live in that area and it is flat, flat flat. I saw someone mention Ironamn racine.
Racine is practically in the Rocky mountains compared to the Eastern shore of Maryland. And october should be relatively cool (although a surprise hot day is not at all out of the question).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race recommendations Half/Full cold and flat courses Rss Feed