General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Female former runner wanting to get into sprint triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-07 10:57 AM

Subject: Female former runner wanting to get into sprint triathlons
Hi,
I am a female in my 30s with two young children. Former runner but have a hard time with long distances due to injuries. Looking for a new challenge and decided on triathlons. Thinking of starting with sprint tri distance next summer which gives me about 9-10 months to prepare. I have a lot to do as I am a terrible swimmer and have only biked casually. I am open to ANY tips or advice because I have no idea what I am doing. ?? I am currently in the process of buying a road bike and finding an indoor pool to start swimming this winter.

2017-09-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: Kelli771

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Female former runner wanting to get into sprint triathlons

Welcome Kelli,

Do you have a bike now?  
Have you ridden road bikes?  
Yes, a road bike will be more efficient (faster for the same effort), but the riding position takes some "getting used to."  
If you have a bike, ride it.  Ride it to the store.  Ride it on the open roads.  Ride it up and down hills.  Ride it to enjoy riding.  
I had a 10-speed that I rode a lot, but it wasn't practical for riding around the neighborhood with my boys, hunched over and constantly watching for glass, gravel, speedbumps, etc.  I got a mountain bike and enjoyed riding the neighborhood without worry.  I rode the mountain bike in my first two triathlons before getting another road bike and eventually a tri-bike.  

You'll see all kinds of bikes at sprint races ranging from $8000 carbon fiber tri-bikes to $30 beach cruisers and 35 year-old Schwinn's.  

Once you're hooked, you can upgrade bikes again and again...

Swimming tips:

Take Lessons NOW, before you learn bad technique.  
Success and progress depend on your attitude (I'm a former lifeguard and swim instructor).  As long as you're telling yourself you are a terrible swimmer, it'll probably remain that way.  Same if you're going to the pool thinking "this is going to be horrible."  Go to the pool with enthusiasm and an attitude that you *are* a good swimmer and let the lessons and training reinforce those attitudes.    

2017-09-09 2:38 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thanks for the advice! I just a got starter road bike and I plan to take the time this fall and winter to get comfortable with it. I have been wanting a road bike anyways, as I am lucky enough to live right near a nice, long bike path. Cycling is big in my area. I also have a mountain bike, so I can use either, depending on the circumstances.
I am planning to sign up for swim lessons hopefully this fall to get me on the right track. I am actually kind of excited about it.
2017-09-10 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5227678

User image

It sounds like you're on the right track already...especially with the swimming. As far as the bike is concerned, if you're just starting out you just need to get as much time on the bike as possible over the winter.

If riding outside throughout the winter isn't an option for you because of where you live then I'd get an inexpensive indoor trainer. I did that a couple winters ago as a new rider and rode 3-4 x week 30-90min each ride and by spring my bike fitness was way better than the previous year.

Good luck and nothing motivates your training than signing up for your first race!
-john
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Female former runner wanting to get into sprint triathlons Rss Feed