General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of mileage do you put in for a 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-17 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Subject: What kind of mileage do you put in for a 70.3?
What kind of mileage on the bike and the run do you put in weekly in training for a 3h bike ride and a 2hr run or less on the half iron?

2017-09-17 4:45 PM
in reply to: goran007

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: What kind of mileage do you put in for a 70.3?

Everyone is going to be different, but in general, do as much as your body can handle.  As a minimum, the average AGer should shoot for a minimum peak of a couple weeks with 100+ miles of biking (long of 55+ miles), 25+ miles of running (long of 9+ miles), and 6,000+ yds of swimming.

2017-09-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I always have heard the rule of thumb is 1.5x race distance / week. So for a HIM this would be approx: 2,700 yard swim, 75 mile bike, 20 miles running.
YMMV
2017-09-17 10:16 PM

User image

Ventura, California

Oh man, I have been bad. Only got 60 miles a week for the last 2 weeks and about 15-20 miles of running per week for the last few weeks. 1.5-2 miles of ocean swimming 1x per week for the last couple months. 

Tomorrow is my last session before next weekends half. So tomorrow I will do about 40-50 miles and get in about a 10-13 mile run off the bike. Tonight was a 10k on sore tired legs. 

Work all week and drive down and just jump into it and go for it. Should be fine, lol

I am actually going to stop racing for a little while. I really need to refocus on a few other areas in life and then when I do start re-training I need to have a actual training plan in place with specific training goals. This half arsed way of training is only just getting me through the race and it ends of being a suffer fest for a mid pack finish.

2017-09-18 8:22 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
It depends on what you're working on. I needed to work on my run, so for Ohio 70.3 this summer I did an 8 week build, which I averaged 10,000 yds/week swimming (which I just held steady throughout), an average of 120 miles/week biking (which like swimming, I kept steady throughout) and for running I averaged around 40 miles per week with a peak of 50 miles/week which I held for about 3 weeks.

It also depends on what your goals are. do you want to just cross the line? Get in the top 10%, top 1%, win the thing? Strava is a great tool for seeing what people actually do for training. This is important because when you ask most people what they do, they tell you what they intended to do; rarely what they actually did. Find someone who is where you want to be, and follow them on Strava, it will tell you what it takes to get there.
2017-09-18 8:25 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I was actually asking for a friend cos my triathlon days are behind me (yeah that's what kids will do to ya.) He just did a half iron and I told him to bike a lot as it would impact his run if he didn't put in the miles. He didn't listen and was in a world of hurt on the run. Granted he's a pretty good cyclist, he was able to get away with biking a challenging course at the Pula half iron in Croatia. He biked it in 2h55 min and his run took him 2h35min when his stand alone 1/2 marathon time is 1h45.

2017-09-18 10:52 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by goran007 I was actually asking for a friend cos my triathlon days are behind me (yeah that's what kids will do to ya.) He just did a half iron and I told him to bike a lot as it would impact his run if he didn't put in the miles. He didn't listen and was in a world of hurt on the run. Granted he's a pretty good cyclist, he was able to get away with biking a challenging course at the Pula half iron in Croatia. He biked it in 2h55 min and his run took him 2h35min when his stand alone 1/2 marathon time is 1h45.

That's not a problem with his training.  It's a problem with race execution.  He biked too hard.  Even a professional triathlete at peak fitness will implode on the run if they ride too hard.  He needs to ride at a lower relative intensity in his next race to run closer to his potential.  

2017-09-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
I told him to take it easy on the bike or his run would suck but he didn't listen, as I expected...
2017-09-18 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by goran007 I told him to take it easy on the bike or his run would suck but he didn't listen, as I expected...

Haha!  No one ever does in their first HIM.  

2017-09-18 12:29 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by goran007 What kind of mileage on the bike and the run do you put in weekly in training for a 3h bike ride and a 2hr run or less on the half iron?

I start my training plan at about 6-7 hours a week and build up to a peak of 9-10 hours in my peak week.  I only do one 70.3 a year. 

A peak of 9-10 hours a week is enough for me to be Age Group Competitive, After an 8 minute delay for a bike flat at my 70.3 race this weekend I was only 4 minutes behind the guy that won our age group (I took 2nd out of the 26 participants in my AG).  a Peak of 10 hours is NOT enough for me to hit my race potential though.  One person wrote that with his athletes he had them do 2-2/3 their race distance every week if they want to be ready to race.  He said anything less than that all you can do is focus on finishishing the race.  

All I did on Saturday was finish.  In sprint and Olympic distance races I can finish the run in a time about 10-15% slower than my open run time.  My open half marathon times are in the 1:22-1:25 range.  So...my predicted run time in a 70.3 race would be 1:30-1:38 minutes.  My 70.3 race over the weekend I started out at a 1:35-1:45 pace which seemed painfully slow for the first 3 miles.  For mile 3-5 that pace seemed about right.  After mile 5 It was all I could do to not start walking.  My training only got me to mile 5 of the run.  After that I was just trying to hold onto a slow jog and finishing.  My finish time was 5 hours 9 minutes (which included a potty breaks on the run and a flat tire on the bike).  So... 2-2/3 of that is 13-3/4 hours a week (minimum).  So if you want want to race it would be a look like 14-16 hours a week.  If you just want to finish about 8 hours a week is the minimum I  would do.  

2017-09-19 5:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by goran007

What kind of mileage on the bike and the run do you put in weekly in training for a 3h bike ride and a 2hr run or less on the half iron?

The advanced answer is to use a system that measures the load of your workouts, then estimate your race load, and structure a training plan where the really heavy days grow to a number comparable to your load workouts in some way. Training Peak's TSS score tracking does just that.

But if you're new to TSS or never heard of it, then I would suggest a long day in your training week where you grow a brick bike/run in factors of 4. My experience is that no matter how big my long bike or long run, it is long brick bike/run that improves my HIM fitness best.

For example 16 miles bike/4 mile run, then 20 mile bike/5 mile run and so on. It will be tough to have both a long run and long bike in addition to this. I tend to do a long run on Wednesdays (all the way up to 13 miles) and a long bike on Sundays, with my brick on Saturdays. My current fitness is such that when my brick is under 32 miles of bike (8 mile run) I can usually hit a 60+ long ride on Sundays, but as my brick grows beyond that I am limited on the long bike the following day. Other days are for other types of training.

I once heard that the answer to "how do I not die on the run" in triathlon is "improve your bike fitness". The reason, I think is that no matter what you do with your run, you are limited by what happens on the bike. Improve your ability to ride long distances at 60%-70% effort and your run gets better, because a run without a bike leg completed is no indicator of a run with a bike leg completed. I add the brick to help measure how good my run is after the bike and it's no joke - a long run and a run after the bike are NEVER the same thing.

A completely different answer is: "Never enough"

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-09-19 5:29 PM

2017-09-20 6:29 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Originally posted by goran007

The advanced answer is to use a system that measures the load of your workouts, then estimate your race load, and structure a training plan where the really heavy days grow to a number comparable to your load workouts in some way. Training Peak's TSS score tracking does just that.

But if you're new to TSS or never heard of it, then I would suggest a long day in your training week where you grow a brick bike/run in factors of 4. My experience is that no matter how big my long bike or long run, it is long brick bike/run that improves my HIM fitness best.

For example 16 miles bike/4 mile run, then 20 mile bike/5 mile run and so on. It will be tough to have both a long run and long bike in addition to this. I tend to do a long run on Wednesdays (all the way up to 13 miles) and a long bike on Sundays, with my brick on Saturdays. My current fitness is such that when my brick is under 32 miles of bike (8 mile run) I can usually hit a 60+ long ride on Sundays, but as my brick grows beyond that I am limited on the long bike the following day. Other days are for other types of training.

I once heard that the answer to "how do I not die on the run" in triathlon is "improve your bike fitness". The reason, I think is that no matter what you do with your run, you are limited by what happens on the bike. Improve your ability to ride long distances at 60%-70% effort and your run gets better, because a run without a bike leg completed is no indicator of a run with a bike leg completed. I add the brick to help measure how good my run is after the bike and it's no joke - a long run and a run after the bike are NEVER the same thing.

A completely different answer is: "Never enough"

Thank you!
2017-09-20 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

For me, I use the BT plans and follow them. I have had success using their plans and just follow it as best I can. I don't always hit every workout, but I do the best I can and has helped me!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of mileage do you put in for a 70.3? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone else doing Ohio 70.3 ?

Started by Swimbikeron
Views: 409 Posts: 1

2017-07-17 4:08 PM Swimbikeron

Madison 70.3, Ohio 70.3 IM LOU

Started by britz1784
Views: 986 Posts: 3

2017-06-28 10:57 AM katgirl2013

Anyone Done Both Raleigh and Muncie 70.3?

Started by linkslefty
Views: 801 Posts: 5

2017-03-01 3:03 PM FurnaceM3

Weekly Bike Mileage

Started by Michael Lance Prefon
Views: 623 Posts: 2

2017-02-06 2:06 PM Jason N

Anyone doing SuperFrog 70.3 this weekend?

Started by dworth
Views: 652 Posts: 1

2016-09-23 11:40 AM dworth