General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts after first 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-19 2:55 PM

Subject: Thoughts after first 70.3
So I completed my first 70.3 this weekend- I figured I would share a COMPLETE beginners thoughts in hopes that it can help another beginner!

- If rolling swim start, make sure you are honest with your time. I was (im slow) but ended up passing A LOT of people which causes uneeded stress for everyone. I'm no M. Phelps so these people either were having worse day of their lives or seeded wrong.

-PRACTICE bike aid station hand offs if you are going to use them. Bottles were being dropped everywhere and caused issues for the riders behind them. I took this advice and was able to smoothly grab and go which was safe and speedy!

-KNOW how to change a flat under stress- PRACTiCE IT. I saw multiple people panicking and trying to change their tires.

-PLEASE PLEASE from on beginner to another READ and learn the rules that governor the bike course. Forget the penalties, you make the road usafe for everyone. The pros and good AGers will be flying by and dont mess their trace up because you arent following rules. I found that everyone was awesome out there. Only A-Holes were the people not following rules.

-NUTRITION!!!! practice- tweak-practice. I had a great plan and it fell apart- once it fell apart, I broke the golden rule of nothing new on race day- it caused me to get sick and have severe cramping on the run. Had to walk two miles. Not proud of it but I still beat my time!

-Have fun and dont be scared to ask questions. Everyone I met was great.

Love this sport!

2017-09-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Thoughts after first 70.3
Welcome to the club
2017-09-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Thoughts after first 70.3
Originally posted by TriToFinish57

So I completed my first 70.3 this weekend- I figured I would share a COMPLETE beginners thoughts in hopes that it can help another beginner!

- If rolling swim start, make sure you are honest with your time. I was (im slow) but ended up passing A LOT of people which causes uneeded stress for everyone. I'm no M. Phelps so these people either were having worse day of their lives or seeded wrong.

-PRACTICE bike aid station hand offs if you are going to use them. Bottles were being dropped everywhere and caused issues for the riders behind them. I took this advice and was able to smoothly grab and go which was safe and speedy!

-KNOW how to change a flat under stress- PRACTiCE IT. I saw multiple people panicking and trying to change their tires.

-PLEASE PLEASE from on beginner to another READ and learn the rules that governor the bike course. Forget the penalties, you make the road usafe for everyone. The pros and good AGers will be flying by and dont mess their trace up because you arent following rules. I found that everyone was awesome out there. Only A-Holes were the people not following rules.

-NUTRITION!!!! practice- tweak-practice. I had a great plan and it fell apart- once it fell apart, I broke the golden rule of nothing new on race day- it caused me to get sick and have severe cramping on the run. Had to walk two miles. Not proud of it but I still beat my time!

-Have fun and dont be scared to ask questions. Everyone I met was great.

Love this sport!

You'll still have tall those thoughts after you've done several of them. :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts after first 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

questions about first 70.3

Started by JonP9576
Views: 1041 Posts: 5

2017-09-19 2:27 PM JonP9576

Madison 70.3, Ohio 70.3 IM LOU

Started by britz1784
Views: 985 Posts: 3

2017-06-28 10:57 AM katgirl2013

First Ironman 70.3 - Blogging the journey