General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Devices for a newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-20 9:25 PM

Subject: Devices for a newbie
Last spring I started getting into triathlons but just trained/raced based on how I felt and used no kind of tech or data. I now realize that I need to make my efforts more efficient and productive so I started looking into HR monitors and bike sensors. I am now overwhelmed by the HR chest straps, bike computers, speed and cadence sensor and sport watches available! There are so many and with the features, options, technology and prices I do not know what is best for a new athlete looking to get the most out of their training sessions!

After too many hours of bouncing around the web and reading reviews, I think that this is what I want to go with:

The Wahoo TickrX HR Strap ($80) because it can be used for swimming and give me cadences on indoor rides.

I also have a Giant bike so I will get their speed & cadence sensor ($55) since the frame has ports for this already.

I was hoping to go with a watch that I could mount onto my handle bars to avoid needing a separate bike computer, but that doesn't seem like the most feasible option. I think that I will buy the Wahoo Element Bolt ($250) because it can do mapping and everything I could ever want in the future, such as power meter or anything else.

The real problem I am having is which watch, I originally thought the Garmin 920XT ($250) but it's really bulky. I am now looking at the Garmin FR735 ($400) because it has VO2 MAX capabilities and a wrist HR monitor. Is VO2 Max useful at my level or is it overkill? I have heard a lot of talk about how it's like the new HR training method and will revolution my performance, but again, I don't know how true that is or what I really need at this level.

That's almost $800 worth of gear! Is this worth it? This started because I want to track my cadence on the bike and my HR for everything else. I could spend this money but I wouldn't be happy unless I am confident that it's worth the investment and I can get years of benefit from all of it. Is this money well spent or just unnecessary extravagances?

PLEASE give me some advise, this is all new to me and I have no idea what is necessary and what just isn't.

Thank you!

2017-09-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Devices for a newbie
Sorry....dp....posting from.phone

Edited by Left Brain 2017-09-20 9:55 PM
2017-09-20 9:54 PM
in reply to: tjwstn

User image

Pro
The best thing you can do is progressively swim more, bike more, and run more. If those gadgets, and others like them, and the data they provide help keep you motivated and enjoying triathlon then they are worth every penny. They become good paper weights if they don't serve that purpose first. You have to judge for yourself if they will help you in that regard. There are also plenty of people who do triathlon successfully and have never worn a HR monitor, as an example. For others it's a must have. Same with most pices of equipment. Don't get too caught up in having the latest gadget.....sure as hell another one is coming and yours will be outdated. First.....find the joy in the work. If those items you want will help you get there, you're on the right path. Each will well serve the purpose you mentioned.
2017-09-21 6:18 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I like data, but $800, I don't know if I like it that much. One thing I would suggest is sticking with a brand across platforms, that way you can upload your data into a single interface rather than having multiple interfaces. For example, all of your data goes into Garmin connect if you have all garmin devices. I can also tell you that if you can live with yesterday's technology is that you can get some really great deals on Ant+ devices right now. Everything is BLE now and the retailers are dumping whatever they have for Ant+ stock now (310XT, 910XT, magellan switch, etc). I bought a new Magellan Switch last week for $20. Admittedly not that awesome device, but $20 for a GPS multisport watch with 50 M waterproof.
2017-09-21 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I would recommend the cadence sensor for the bike. You can plan some different bike workouts with the cadence sensor and you're not talking about a lot of money.

You don't need the Wahoo Element if you're looking at purchasing a Garmin. I still use my old Garmin 305 for running and biking.

As LB pointed out, purchase what will keep you motivated and progress in your training. It is easy to blow your budget quick if you go crazy with all the new technology out there.

I upgraded to different items slowly over the years. Birthday, Fathers Day and Christmas are good times to give family a wish list.
2017-09-21 8:55 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Other good advice above. I want to touch on the Garmin 735, as that's a device I use. I really like it, it's slim and does just about everything the 935 does. That said, I would not use it to determine your VO2 max or the time you need for recovery. In fact, I disabled those functions on mine, as I found them to be nonsensical (especially the recovery time). Also, the optical HR can get wonky, particularly coming out of the water. If you're thinking of a HR strap, Garmin has a TRI strap, which records your HR during the swim, although you won't be able to see the data until you're finished with your workout. I've used Garmin's regular HR strap during tri, it just doesn't record data during the swim.

Finally, HR can be a useful training guide, but it's important to get a really good baseline. The 210 - age is garbage. You should do a HRmax test to figure out what your max is. And, after you get going in training, you should re-test your max HR periodically.

Edited by LundyLund 2017-09-21 8:56 AM

2017-09-21 10:14 AM

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
If you are looking around for a HRM I am in love with the Scosche RHYTHM+. You can get it for around $70 and you actually wear it on your forearm. It is much more comfortable for me than a chest strap. Also I had mine for about 15 months and the optical sensors went bad and Scosche covered under their warranty (which is only 1 year but they waived it) and sent me a brand new one. Took about a week for me to send it back and them to send me a new one. I don't have one complaint about it and the customer service sold me on it even more.

As far as gagets and wearables I found it easier to just get things as I went along b/c I wasn't able to spend a ton of money at one time for a ton of stuff. My gf got me a Garmin fenix 2 as a surprise Christmas gift about three years ago (what a woman) then I added speed and cadence sensors from Garmin the next year and added the HRM the year after. Would I like to buy a bunch more stuff, sure, but I have been doing just fine without getting things all at once (even though I wish I could).

Good luck!
2017-09-21 11:54 AM

LB has the best advice here, but it's the internet afterall.....so I'm gonna give you mine.

Actually....not advice. Just relevant personal observations. Also, note, I'm a cheapskate completer and will always be a noob because I do this for fun and personal challenge.

Sorta confirming what LB said, the absolute best value in gear I ever bought: A race belt on clearance for like $2. No more safety pins. Race day...soooo much better. That's my mindset. Fun level +5

I'd have to say my watch def. keeps me motivated and makes things more fun. For one, I'm proud of my miles that I've piled up. 5 years ago, I had zero fitness and 100 extra lbs. My early miles were all tracked on my phone. I was proud of them before I even got into tri. If I PR a segment out of the blue, it's a great day. Some days I set out to put in effort to PR a particular segment...or improve my performance on a given course. Also, I have one gnarly hill I do a lot because I need to in order to get to bike friendly areas. I found if I add in the extra little bit at the top and cross the road, which nobody bothers with, I could become King of the Mountain. Sure, there's only like 5 other people that bother with that bit....but I'M THE KING, man. I'm the king. I can totally tell my wife I'm kind of a big deal....out of like 5 other people. Fun level +8

I use heart data sporadically. Mainly to spot check that I'm not being dangerous or dumb. Fun level +/- 0.

I'm not serious enough to justify power meters. Cadence. Etc. I go by feel. If I feel good and had fun, I was doing it right.

I do love my miles, though.
Of particular relevance...I wouldn't call the 920 "bulky". Big as watches go sure, but not any more than most smart watches and certainly less weighty/bulky than a flashy Rolex or Tag. I'm not a regular watch wearer. Never was. Many times, I've left the pool and headed to work forgetting to take it off because it's not annoying. Only triathlonners would notice one "in the wild" on someone else. The average person wouldn't even notice it.

I started with a refurbed 310 purchased when the 920 rolled out. That sucker was bulky. Especially with the added quick release. I bought it at about the same point in the product lifecycle where the 920 is now....so it was relatively "cheap". Already out of date. I knew if I stuck with it and used it, I'd upgrade.

I'd have to stick with this whole thing for another quite long time before I upgraded from the 920. There'd have to be some "killer app" that would make me upgrade. Otherwise, I won't be at this long enough that if it crapped out in the next few years and wanted something to just collect fitness miles, there's plenty of relatively inexpensive alternatives I could use.

I don't bother with the handlebar mount or quick release with it. I glance at it now and again for a 'gut check', but otherwise it's just there collecting data. I've created some route/maps with it for turn by turn (not simple, but not terribly complex...you have to Google for it, it's not a native operation to the 920 platform) once or twice when riding a route in a part of town I was completely unfamiliar with. Meh. Usually it sits on my arm and collects miles and some other data I might glance at.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-09-21 12:00 PM
2017-09-22 9:50 PM

Thank you for all of the advice and perspective. I'll continue shopping around for deals and probably just go with whatever is the least expensive way to get HR and cadence readings. I think those two will be the most beneficial for me and as I progress then maybe the fancier items will come down the road.

Thank you again!
2017-09-22 9:57 PM

Edited by tjwstn 2017-09-22 9:58 PM
2017-09-23 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
To my knowledge there are plenty of cheaper bike computers that have cadence sensors--I don't think you need a fancy Garmin. I can't remember exactly what I used before I got my current set-up about two years ago (P2Max power meter and Garmin 520), but I'm pretty sure that some of my previous bike computers (Cateye, Planet Bike) had cadence data as well as speed and distance. ) And they sure weren't $800--probably less than $100.

As for heart rate, some athletes find it useful; some don't. I like to do my run training with it--for some reason my run Garmin often has trouble picking up a GPS signal in Vietnam, and I usually don't like knowing my run pace anyway (I just start thinking how much faster I was when I was younger!). Again, no need for a fancy Garmin. A basic set-up like one of the low-end Garmin or Polar run watches and chest strap is fine.

2017-09-25 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I'm going to respond to the "newbie" part of the question.

A waterproof GPS watch (that counts swim laps) and an HR monitor (prefer forearm models). It is the minimum needed for measuring swim, run and bike progress. The watch gets you speed, distance, time. The HR gives you intensity if combined actively with threshold numbers and zones. Along with the HR/threshold/zones data, time gives you loading (software does all the calculations, all you need is the device). Import that into a site like Training Peaks (free for newbies) and you can monitor your fitness (CTL) progress toward a race and use it to properly taper as well.

Newbies don't need power meters, cadence meters etc because they are "newbies". They usually have so much potential relative to their starting point that these things just don't matter. (Do they want them? Sure...).

Edited by FranzZemen 2017-09-25 7:14 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Devices for a newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Wheels for a Newbie

Started by Joednavy
Views: 672 Posts: 3

2017-07-25 4:14 PM Oysterboy

newbie training schedul

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 588 Posts: 4

2017-06-19 9:38 AM Trine