General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Large racer looking at new bike. Speed concept or Fuji norcom Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-21 8:55 AM

Subject: Large racer looking at new bike. Speed concept or Fuji norcom
About me. I'm 34. I've been doing Triathlon for about 4 years. Just participating and lieing to myself saying that I was an athlete. I kept gaining weight and training less.

Long story short. I peaked at 330lbs. Two years ago. I'm now down to 265. My goal is to be between 220 and 230 in another year or so.

I have been riding a trek domane 4.5 for the past 4 years. I love it. But I think since I'm taking my training more seriously I might look at a tri bike soon.

My local bike shop sells trek and Fuji. With a budget around $2500 I'm between the Fuji norcom straight 2.1 and the trek speed concept 7.0.

I don't know anything about the frames. From my limited knowledge and just reading the specs. The Fuji has ultegra components and the trek has 105.
The Fuji seems to have better wheels too.

Am I overthinking this? Do I get the Fuji or is the trek a better bike even though it has lower components?

Spending that much on a bike will tap me out for the year, so no other upgrades will happen for at least a year.

Any insight would be great.

2017-09-21 9:01 AM
in reply to: JonP9576

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Large racer looking at new bike. Speed concept or Fuji norcom

I ride a Fuji Norcom (2.3), and it's fine. The one you're looking at has better components (I have SRAM rival on mine). It's a serviceable bike and, at the price point, is a good value. I'd call mine an entry-level bike, and seeing as how I'm an entry-level cyclist, that works for me.

If I were to do things over, I would have sprung for a good bike fit before choosing a bike, and then finding a bike with coordinates that match mine. I'm probably going to go get a fit anyway and adjust my bike as needed. If you get a fit beforehand, you'll find that whatever bike you end up on will feel better. And, as a consequence, you'll ride better. It might also help you pick between the two bikes (or lead you to a different one altogether).

2017-09-21 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5228371

That's a good point. I'll head to my bike shop ahead of picking anything and have them fit me and see what I line up best with.
2017-09-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

The Fuji's stack and reach measurements are definitely out there a ways on the "low-and-long" half of the geometry continuum. That can be a problem for those of us who may be a little overweight, as the tops of our thighs can make contact with our bellies at the top of the pedal stroke. The Speed Concept is somewhere more towards the middle. My guess is you'd be more comfortable on something that's a little more tall-and-short than the average.

Edited by gary p 2017-09-22 1:41 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Large racer looking at new bike. Speed concept or Fuji norcom Rss Feed